This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pressing strength from back muscle?

Started by Chris Harvey, February 1, 2017 · 1 Replies · 77 Views

Chris Harvey

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/27295-proper-push-up-form/

I read this post. It says pushing force are partly generated from back muscle.

Can anyone explain further please? Because I have really weak pressing strength. My retractor, depressor, protraction strength is quite weak I think. I do not know if it is related

Also my right chest muscle always cannot activate much when I do push. I think this is due to my right scapula is winged

Everett Carroll

Hey Chris,

Yes, your back is of course involved in most upper body movements. Think of your body as one unit, especially when it comes to gymnastics. Keep up on your HBP training and form checks. The Foundation HBH progressions are the best way to work out pushing/pressing deficits. The basics are great for sorting this sort of stuff out. I have also seen people with winging scapulas have great success fixing the issue by combining visits with a sports physio and refinement of the basic F1 progressions.