This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Proper Push Up Form

Started by Jessica Feliciano, October 3, 2016 · 17 Replies · 633 Views

Jessica Feliciano

Hello Guys,

I've been working on my push up form and getting used to this range of motion via incline push ups. Of course, when I was a kid, I learned how to do push ups differently. I'm curious as to why keeping your elbows close to your body is a better form?

Is it because of how it strengthens the shoulder girdle for HBP? Making it the proper form for this particular end goal? Or is it best form because this is the safest way to benefit from the exercise? 

Just curious. Trying to learn as much as I can about mechanics. I appreciate it. 

Regards,

Jessica

Jessica Feliciano

PE as in physical education ;)

Tanya Hill

PE as in Preparatory Element :) 

Tanya Hill

Hi Jessica, 

That is a great technical question. Lets see what @Alessandro Mainente has to say about that. 

Mats Trane

It will prepare you for later progressions. I also  feel stronger and more stable with elbows in. Lesser chance of hurting your rotator cuff muscles.

Jessica Feliciano
1 hour ago, Mats Trane said:

It will prepare you for later progressions. I also  feel stronger and more stable with elbows in. Lesser chance of hurting your rotator cuff muscles.

So for you, it's a matter of safer technique for your shoulders and superior preparation for later progressions. 

I do have to agree with you, one thing I do notice by doing push ups this way is it feels different (better) on my shoulder girdle. I used to be a tennis player and with poor coaching in high school, I had poor serving technique that's resulted in chronic shoulder pain when I'm active as an adult. 

Alessandro Mainente

Exercise must be as much specific for the future goal also if it is a general exercise (or Preparatory Exercise), fort his reason elbows closer to the body gives a good amount of specific pattern for more advanced variation where, if you are not using the elbows-in version, it is practically impossible to counter balance the leverage on the hollowbackpress.

Also during HBP you are holding an hollow body, the amount of pec activation it is definitely less compared to elbows flared out where the pec it is naturally more involved. so for this reason we should train muscles properly considering the future body alignment and not only the elbow positioning.

Everett Carroll

When the elbows flare out, you are reducing stability in the push-up. Also, when elbows are in, you better strengthen the serratus anterior which can help protect your shoulder, like Mats said. This strength will also transfer well to more advanced GST.

Jessica Feliciano

Gosh, the info you guys give is awesome, thanks for the answers I appreciate the detail! 

As an aside, I noticed a bit of pull on my supraspinatus at the insertion point. I don't think it's a tear (I feel like that would be painful), any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm dialing the shoulder work back, but are there any specific exercises or stretches that'll make it stronger?

Do you think it's a sign of weak upper traps? If so, how can I strengthen my traps? 

Everett Carroll

This particular issue may be worth seeing a physio for. Even if it is just a pull or discomfort, they will help prevent it from potentially becoming a bigger issue. 

Alessandro Mainente

Rather then  ONLY weak upper traps it could be weak lower and medium traps.

Jessica Feliciano

[Update] After working on incline push ups these past few weeks, I don't feel that sharp supraspinatus pain ;) I have felt a different pain where my acromium and clavicle connect, but after adding weight (3lbs) to my shoulder dislocates, it seems to have gone away for now. 

I am still considering doing a consultation with a physical therapist to make sure everything looks good, but it definitely seems that the strength I'm building in my serratus anterior and all of my traps, is making a huge difference. 

Thanks for all of your help guys :) 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Since it has not, specifically, mentioned already. Keeping your elbows closer to your sides assures you strengthen both the external rotator cuff muscles and your triceps. Expect your lower pectoralias muscles to development some as well. 

For anyone that does already know... The human body gets a lot of it's pressing and pulling strength from the back and arm/shoulder muscles not the chest.

Mark Collins

The elbows in position is the safest position for the rotator cuff. Once you go past 45 degrees abduction of the shoulder you get more compression on the supraspinatus tendon. Over time this can increase the chance of impingement and damaging the tendon. I have made alot of money treating patients who do outdoor training and gym classes that do elbows out push ups. I have not made one dollar from people that keep the elbows in.

The elbows in will also transfer better to dips, overhead pressing and HBP.

Jessica Feliciano

Follow up question! 

So it just occurred to me. Since we've established that keeping the elbows in during a push up is proper technique for many reasons, would you say the way we perform bench presses is incorrect? I see guys bench mostly with their elbows out and both exercises are essentially the same motion. 

What do you think? Are people performing bench press wrong? (For me, if it is improper technique, it would explain why I cannot train on bench for long periods of time because I start feeling shoulder pain)

Curious to hear what you all have to say. Thanks guys!

Jessica Feliciano
On 10/26/2016 at 3:06 AM, Mark Collins said:

The elbows in position is the safest position for the rotator cuff. Once you go past 45 degrees abduction of the shoulder you get more compression on the supraspinatus tendon. Over time this can increase the chance of impingement and damaging the tendon. I have made alot of money treating patients who do outdoor training and gym classes that do elbows out push ups. I have not made one dollar from people that keep the elbows in.

The elbows in will also transfer better to dips, overhead pressing and HBP.

This would probably explain why I was feeling pain specifically at the insertion point of my supraspinatus, other than the fact that my shoulder was tight. 

Maksis Riley

Flared elbows on bench can be a big cause for shoulder discomfort certainly. Bodybuilders will often purposefully execute the BP this way, lowering the bar closer to the top of their chest and even neck (dubbed the Guillotine Press). It's a technique to better target the pecs and they will not be using maximal weights for this.

 

Then many power lifters have a wide grip so as to reduce the ROM and increase their poundages. However they will also generally have a tight arch and packed shoulders and even with the wide grip still manage to tuck their elbows somewhat.

 

Then your regular gym goers.... Yeh. In my experience they are just inexperienced, don't know any better and performing it badly or, in some cases, attempting to jump past their current strength and conditioning levels by doing a more advanced variation.

 

Max

Mark Collins
On 02/11/2016 at 11:44 PM, Jessica Feliciano said:

This would probably explain why I was feeling pain specifically at the insertion point of my supraspinatus, other than the fact that my shoulder was tight. 

That is the common symptom my patients describe when they do high rep push ups and burpees with the elbows out.