This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL SE1 (& PPP) Form Check

Started by Dustyevsky Silvester, January 27, 2017 · 11 Replies · 297 Views

Dustyevsky Silvester

This was my first day working this movement and felt pretty comfortable in the Frog Stand -it's the Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold mobility where I struggled.

I read elsewhere that the PPP can be a limiting factor when getting to this point so included a few reps of that for consideration.

Would appreciate any useful tips on transition from frog into the hold, whether protraction/PPT appears sufficient, and where there may be other deficiencies holding me back. Thanks.

 

Winter Phoenix

Hi Dustyevsky,

Thanks for the video - we love seeing updates on how our GB members are progressing with their training! 

For Frog Stand SPL/SE1 please re-watch the GB exercise video, you are aiming to have your hips stacked over your wrists. And there is no need to transition from Frog Stand SPL/SE into sPL/SE1>iM Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold, these are two separate exercises.

Let us know if we can assist you further and look forward to seeing your next videos.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Video review must use a service provider like youtube where the private material of the course can be listed on "unlisted" and seen only by those who has the link.

Kai Ewert

Your PPP looks good. For the iM, open up your hips more (angle between torso and thighs; you seem piked there).

Dustyevsky Silvester

Thanks for the advice. I've been working on this one and would like to share my progress. It's super challenging but I think I'm starting to get a better feeling for the balance points in both strength and iM elements. I recognize my hips are still piked in the iM as when I open further I tip backwards. Any more thoughts?

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Dustyevsky,

In order to achieve a flat iM with open hips, you will need to lean further. You also need more protraction in both PE and iM. 

The HBP/PE3 in your original submission was also lacking in protraction and lean. Some refinement and re-mastery of HBP/PE3 would no doubt help you with this sPL progression.  

I suggest you post a video of your PPP and Planche Lean in the Foundation One Form Checks. That is the best place to start looking for and correcting deficiencies.  

Dustyevsky Silvester

After a short lay off from a back strain I've been able to return to work on this. I have attempted to increase protraction and lean as Everett suggests. I'm doing full 5x30s sets each time for the strength element and am creeping up on 10s holds for the iM. I can do 3 sets without too much strain but would ultimately like to get to the point where I can release out of iM with control instead of belly flopping and feel like I could easily do more than 10s each set. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Dustyevsky,

I still suggest you submit a form check video for your planche lean. Be sure you submit it in the F1 form checks section and provide the link here. Please include both the PE and iM.  

Everett Carroll

Hey Dustyevsky,

Nice work getting that in so quickly. My suggestion is to go back to that progression and re-master it, implementing Jeffrey's feedback. In the run, this step back is actually a step forward. 

Dustyevsky Silvester

Thanks Everett. Ive started to implement your's and Jeffrey's suggestions. 

This week I alternated work on SE1 with a return to PE5. I agree that I can do better on the lean but don't want to lose what progress I've made on the SE1 iM. Any harm doing these on alternating days or would you recommend going back to PE5 only and working my way back up?

Everett Carroll

Hey Dustyevsky,

Feel free to play with sPL/SE1>iM, but keep it light and avoid the PE altogether.