This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE5/iM (Planche Lean)

Started by Dustyevsky Silvester, June 2, 2017 · 9 Replies · 316 Views

Dustyevsky Silvester

It was recommended by forum coach @Everett Carroll to submit form check for sPL PE5 to support work on SE1. Comments are welcome. 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Dustyevsky,

Thank you for taking the time to upload your video like @Everett Carroll suggested. You are doing a nice job of keeping PPT as you lean, however, you are losing some protraction. I recommend hitting a stronger protraction before beginning your lean. Hitting a better shape will help you to get a deeper lean. Currently your hands are in line with your belly button. Your goal should be to lean until the hands are almost to the hips. Keeping your feet together during this exercise will also help you to get a deeper lean.

On your iM you are arching the lower back too much which is disguising a lack of ROM in the hips. Work on opening the hips more while being careful not to arch the lower back.

Both the PE and iM are super close. A little bit more practice and refinement and you will be good to go on both exercises.

Dustyevsky Silvester

I've been working to integrate @Jeffrey Bittners comments. I found that squeezing the legs together was a big help. Also focusing on working to maintain protraction and PPT. In IM I've tried to lock in PPT and then lift the legs from the hips. Comments welcome. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Dustyevsky,

In the video of your PE, if you look at the 10s mark, your shape is great. However, watch from 10s-13s, you'll see that your hips and lower back rise. Your goal is to prevent that from happening. Try to find a way to watch yourself during the sets so you can ensure your shape remains correct throughout each set. You are definitely strong enough to hold the correct shape; it is simply a matter of learning what it feels like. 

For your iM, your legs were at a great height at the 5s mark in your video. However, right after that you raise them higher and begin to arch a bit. Like Jeffrey mentioned, you want to avoid excessive arching and focusing on keeping your feet level with your hips should help tremendously. 

 

Dustyevsky Silvester

Been working on this element for over a year now. I spent almost half of that time at 12s holds, now working 5x30s in last step. Still experiencing fatigue on last set. Really trying to focus on leaning as far as possible without quite tipping off my toes... Not quite ready to move on but would like to request another form check. Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente

I think that it is very good, my best suggestion, for now, is RELAX YOUR FEET, ankles never work in order to reduce the natural tendency to fall forward, think about press against the floor as a dumbbell front raises, it activates more your specific SNC pattern.

Dustyevsky Silvester

Checking back in on this element. I've been working on elevated leans but wanted to make sure form is on point for PE5.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Sylvester, we have a technical problem.

if the planche leans IF the body is a straight line then your shoulders CANNOT BE at the same height of the shoulders, period.

In your case, they are. this means that also the starting position is wrong and in fact, the starting straight arms plank position is not correct.

you must begin from a correct starting position, if not you cannot expect to increase the lean with the correct angles.

Dustyevsky Silvester

Thanks Alessandro. Do you mean the hips cannot be same height as shoulders? I think I've been overemphasizing shoulder protraction causing my back and hips to rise to shoulder height... I take your suggestion to mean that there should be a straight line between shoulders, hips, and ankles?

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Dustyevsky Silvester said:

Thanks Alessandro. Do you mean the hips cannot be same height as shoulders? I think I've been overemphasizing shoulder protraction causing my back and hips to rise to shoulder height... I take your suggestion to mean that there should be a straight line between shoulders, hips, and ankles?

Yes, but keep in mind that emphasizing the protraction has nothing to do with piked hips, you can do both...together or separated.