This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

No cook starch

Started by Ching Yin Leung, January 26, 2017 · 4 Replies · 128 Views

Ching Yin Leung

Anyone have suggestions on good source of starch that doesn't require cooking (including microwave or kettle)? When I'm traveling, I may not have access to a kitchen/kitchenette and don't want to eat out everyday during lunch time. Salad and canned/smoked meat are easy to grab and go at a grocery store, so starch is the main issue.

I know fruits are good occasional substitute, but I was wondering if there are more options available.

Jared Birbeck

I have used some precooked rice, they are supposed to be heated in a microwave for 90s but I have eaten them straight up the bag/container.

Julia Quigley

The only option I can think of is raw oats. I like them mixed with Greek yogurt, dried fruit, and nuts. 

Outside of that, I'd get creative with bringing a kettle or something.

Ching Yin Leung

Reviewing Jeff's comment in a "Dinner Vegetable" thread:

Jeff Serven said:

Legumes are no where near as offensive as grains and some can be made to be fairly decent. They are considered a starch. With that said I would like to see you guys use the starch sources I gave you and if you need to fill in with legumes 1-3 times a month then okay. But at least while you go through the steps of Thrive for the first time please avoid them. 

I'm thinking canned legumes would be a good occasional replacement and would be more ideal than bread.

Jeff Serven

all of the above ideas work. If you are on the go just find some "heathy" carbs and replace the starch you mentioned fruit, thats perfect.