In October 2016 I decided to finally commit to gymnastics strength training. Coach Sommer's interviews, programming, and overall approach to fitness greatly attracted me to join. I used my current military deployment to focus on the foundations series, hand-stand 1, and eventually the stretch series. I finally settled into a groove of consistent training, but was sidelined beginning of January due to a rotator cuff injury. It happened during the thoracic stretch series attempting the thoracic bridge pushup - likely attempting too much for the first round in this series ("always do more tomorrow, can't undo if you do too much today" sticks out in my mind now). Without imagery, the ortho diagnosis is a infraspinatus tear - shoulder extension painful and very weak. Obviously, I'm bummed. I was seeing some interesting upper body gains in the short time from training that helped me overcome imbalances from a completely torn pec major (unrepaired) from a previous injury back in 2008. Lots of historic compensation here. I've since started a PT protocol to rehab, but would love to continue GST. Outside of following therapist protocol and ortho guidelines. Any recommendations on training around the injury? Recommendations on getting back into upper body movements and eventually thoracic stretch series? And perhaps a little encouragement...
Thanks all. I'm looking forward to dedicating some time towards this.