This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, January 3, 2017 · 31 Replies · 509 Views

Bas Albinus

Like Andrew pointed out > try pushing straight up to avoid rocking back and forth. Increasing distance between your foot vs hand position might help - but will also make it harder ;)  The next step would be to get on the instep of your feet, as that will keep you from rocking for sure - But it'll put a lot more load on your arms and will be pretty challenging to maintain ppt throughout the full rom. 
Right now you're arching a bit at the bottom of the movement(rib cage opening up) and piking at the top.
In general when doing push ups it helps to focus on doing them not from the arms or shoulders in the first place but "from the gut", keeping the rib cage down and tight. Keep PPT and tight abs with a straight body line all the way, allow no slack. 

Greg White

I had the same issue myself. You may be over doing the PPT. Try to relax it a little. Also stretch the hip flexors before push ups. I suspect mine are over active which contributed to piking.

If you're not piking on your sPL try to mimic that feeling. Add in some planks to help.

Start the push ups off the floor so you have a straight line.

 

 

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

So how does one 'fix' the piking. I'm trying to very strongly contract my abs, glutes, as well as protract in the back. I'm just not sure how to improve on the form than what I'm already doing. Tips are most welcome. 

I sent this tip over in video review I believe but just in case I didn't, you want to feel your hips/upper thighs touch the ground just before your chest. Try a few practice reps: lower slowly, keep everything engaged, and press your hips towards the floor with your glutes until you feel contact with your hips. At the same time, focus on keeping a tight core with ribs in. Also try playing with the bottom position of the push-up by hovering just above the ground and changing your pelvic tilt from ATP to PPT. Do this on your knees if the full PU position is too difficult. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
6 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

I sent this tip over in video review I believe but just in case I didn't, you want to feel your hips/upper thighs touch the ground just before your chest. Try a few practice reps: lower slowly, keep everything engaged, and press your hips towards the floor with your glutes until you feel contact with your hips. At the same time, focus on keeping a tight core with ribs in. Also try playing with the bottom position of the push-up by hovering just above the ground and changing your pelvic tilt from ATP to PPT. Do this on your knees if the full PU position is too difficult. 

Hey, yeah you did send that over, but I guess I wasn't really sure how to do that and/or whether my PPT affected the pike in my hips or the pike in my hips my PPT. 

Everett Carroll

No problem Daniel. You can work on it in the HS wrist progressions as well. Give it a shot and send us updated videos. 

Josh Earl
On 1/4/2017 at 9:53 AM, Everett Carroll said:

@Josh Earl your protraction looks good. Now focus on more PPT.

Added more PPT today. And I'm working to hit 3x6. 

The cue about feeling your hips hitting the ground first really helps.

Eventually I'll get these dialed in...

Thanks, @Everett Carroll!

Suzanna McGee
On January 12, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Josh Earl said:

The cue about feeling your hips hitting the ground first really helps.

That cue helped me tremendously too… even in getting a better line in Planche Lean :)