This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, January 3, 2017 · 31 Replies · 509 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

With this iM, I feel pretty comfortable. I cool down with a set of 8-10lbs (I dabbled with 12lbs, but my biceps made it evident that I'm still not ready for that yet), so doing 5lbs. is pretty easy. I know, I know that the last reps in that later sets might qualify as 'grinding reps,' but I feel like I'm still locking out and keeping my core tight so I'm not sure where that leaves me. 

 

Andrew Long

i noticed in the pe that you pike a bit and you dont seem to protract enough as you move up it looks like your scaps are winging a bit, not sure if it is the lighting or not

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

They may be winging a bit. How do I even correct that though? 

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

I put feedback in video review for this one. I think besides needing more protraction your scaps are good. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Noted. Gonna work on that. Sets 4 and 5 are tough, but gonna keep on 5x15, because I feel like the added difficulty is what is making me stronger in this PE.

Josh Earl
5 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Noted. Gonna work on that. Sets 4 and 5 are tough, but gonna keep on 5x15, because I feel like the added difficulty is what is making me stronger in this PE.

I've found that the protraction makes these waaaaaay harder for me. My 5x9s looked about like this, and I had to drop back several steps when I added in protraction. Still working my way back up. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 minutes ago, Josh Earl said:

I've found that the protraction makes these waaaaaay harder for me. My 5x9s looked about like this, and I had to drop back several steps when I added in protraction. Still working my way back up. 

 

I mean I am protracting or at least "trying to" in the sense that I'm exerting as much protraction as I'm able to while also doing 75 pushups with no rest. I just need more muscular endurance to maintain that throughout all five sets.

Josh Earl

On my last form check for these @Everett Carroll gave me the cue of imagining a red hot poker coming at your chest at the top. So I've been going for maximum protraction and rounding my back. 

This is what mine look like now (I could be overdoing it):

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
3 minutes ago, Josh Earl said:

On my last form check for these @Everett Carroll gave me the cue of imagining a red hot poker coming at your chest at the top. So I've been going for maximum protraction and rounding my back. 

This is what mine look like now (I could be overdoing it):

 

 

Naw dude, that looks good.

Josh Earl

Thanks! :)

I can do 5x3 with this form without a lot of strain. Just bumped up to 4x6 for next workout, which will push me a bit. 

Suzanna McGee
6 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I mean I am protracting or at least "trying to" in the sense that I'm exerting as much protraction as I'm able to while also doing 75 pushups with no rest. I just need more muscular endurance to maintain that throughout all five sets.

Maybe go down to 5 times  6 or 9 reps with a HUGE protraction and build it up from there? 

Everett Carroll

@Josh Earl your protraction looks good. Now focus on more PPT.

Greg White
15 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I mean I am protracting or at least "trying to" in the sense that I'm exerting as much protraction as I'm able to while also doing 75 pushups with no rest. I just need more muscular endurance to maintain that throughout all five sets.

I had a look at your sPL/PE2 form check and you are protracting much more there than on your push ups. I personally aim for as much protraction on push ups as i managed on my sPL PE2 / PE3. I could be wrong but really sPL/PE3 is just the isometric hold of the top position of HBP/PE2.

Josh Earl
2 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

@Josh Earl your protraction looks good. Now focus on more PPT.

Hey, who's form check is this anyway, @Everett Carroll? ;)

Thanks for that—I'll turn my attention there next.

Josh Earl
1 minute ago, Greg White said:

I had a look at your sPL/PE2 form check to check how you protract and you are protracting much more on that than on your push ups. I personally aim for as much protraction on push ups as i managed on my sPL PE2 / PE3. I could be wrong but really sPL/PE3 is just the isometric of the top of HBP/PE2.

That's how I've been approaching this as well—at the top I shove myself as hard and as far from the floor as I can and really feel the stretch in my back. Getting that last 5% of ROM at the top adds like an extra 30% to the effort. 

Andrew Long

hey daniel I would focus on the pike you have in the push ups before anything else.  keeping that rigid body line seems to be a key feature in many exercises so it would be a good idea to get it down pat now.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
7 hours ago, Andrew Long said:

hey daniel I would focus on the pike you have in the push ups before anything else.  keeping that rigid body line seems to be a key feature in many exercises so it would be a good idea to get it down pat now.

I'll wait to hear what the forum coaches say, thanks.

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

Keep more PPT. You will know your tilt is correct when your hips/upper thighs touch just before your chest. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Daniel,

Keep more PPT. You will know your tilt is correct when your hips/upper thighs touch just before your chest. 

So should I drop steps to work on that as I'm struggling with set 4 and 5 or just keep pushing? Being sure to make my form better with PPT? My inkling is to do the latter. Given that I'll be training soon and might not hear back in time, I'll go with that and change it if need be. Will follow up with a form check to see if I'm at all improved. Cheers.

Everett Carroll

At least stay on the same step but drop it back in steps if you need to. The smileys will adjust you to an appropriate step within a couple of sessions at most so don't worry if today's workout is extra difficult with that correction. You don't know until you try. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah, too late. I went to 5x9 and found it just right. As an addition, I found ground rows MUCH easier as a result. Will post videos tomorrow and adjust up or down on both exercises accordingly (hopefully up).

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Here's 5x9 with what I hope is better protraction. I think it still needs some refinement to be perfected, but I will keep working on it so that Step 7, 8, and 9 will come easier. 

 

Cheers

Andrew Long

still seems like more protraction and less piking are needed to me.  also you seem to push backwards rather than straight up. this can be seen more easily by looking at the heels and how they rock back every time you go up.  performing these on the top of your feet with toes pointed might help prevent that.

Jon Douglas

That pike is the major issue, particularly how it increases at the top. Going to need to fix that before dialling in the rest of the line :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So how does one 'fix' the piking. I'm trying to very strongly contract my abs, glutes, as well as protract in the back. I'm just not sure how to improve on the form than what I'm already doing. Tips are most welcome.