Am I just being impractical?

Started by Sara, January 28, 2010 · 3 Replies · 2,337 Views

Sara

Hi, I'm completely new here - and am loving this forum and website - and am here to ask for advice.

Years ago, I saw Coach Sommer's essay at DragonDoor [ http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/ ] and was floored. At the time, I was very athletic and busy and didn't even think to try out any sort of similar work out program.

Soon after that, I became seriously ill with Crohn's disease and ended up unable to leave bed for about 4 months. I went from being super vital and strong to completely atrophied. That was around 2006. I hadn't been the same since. I worked hard to get myself back into walking/functioning condition. I did tons of yoga and eventually jogging, but fell extremely ill this past fall and lost almost all of my muscle mass and strength all over again, dropping 30 lbs [ from 125 to 95 ]. I feel like I'm an out-of-shape 45 year old.

Coach Sommer's essay randomly popped in my head a few weeks ago, so I scoured the Internet to find it and somehow did.

Is it completely impractical of me to hope to work up to this sort of stuff one day? Even if it takes years?

I guess what I'm asking is - do you guys have any suggestions for someone in my shoes? Maybe doing ungodly amounts of yoga and calisthenics to build up towards trying out things like planches [ no access to a gym here ]?

Sorry if this completely ridiculous.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

Sara

P.S. If this matters at all - I am 21 years old, 5'5", and about 115 lbs. and dropping - with a few years of gymnastics under my belt from childhood.

Neal Winkler

I don't have any advice as I don't really have knowledge about a person's capabilities with your condition. All I can say is I hope you fully recover from your weight loss this fall and best of luck of luck whatever you do!

Sara

Crohn's effects just my digestions - which in turn can mess up the rest of me. But, when I'm not going through an episode, I can be totally 'normal' and capable of any physical activity.

I have completely gone off my medication and am taking a natural approach to healing. If it does what I think it could, I will pretty much be "back to normal" healthwise - which is why I'm in the market for a good way to get in shape, as that wasn't an option before.

Coach Sommer

Sara,

In concert with your physical training, I believe that you would also find it extremely helpful to ask Robb Wolf's advice regarding nutritional therapies for Crohns. Robb can be reached at robbwolf.com

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer