Hi all, my name is Calum, I'm 23 years old and I'm from the UK. I've been lurking this site for a few days, and I've learned a great deal, but all of this information can be slightly overwhelming! I'm new to all of this, so I was helping I could get a few pointers. My goal is to attain the gymnastic body (naturally), be more flexible, and do a little of what a gymnast can. I don't expect to be doing triple somersaults, but I'd like to be able to hold an iron cross for longer than a couple of seconds, and I'd love to be able to do side lever pulls.
These are my fitness goals, but I'm a long way from attaining them, I'm starting my quest from the very beginning. I have almost no strength whatsoever after leading a sedentary lifestyle. Where do I start? Where does an absolute beginner to the world of strength and flexibility start out? I can do only a handful of push ups, I'd be surprised if I can muster the strength for one pull up, and my core strength is extremely lacking.
I'm currently eating at a caloric deficit attained by both eating smaller portions of "cleaner" food, and more exercise via cycling and walking. I lose a steady 1.5-2lbs per week. I'm 5' 6" annd 140lbs for reference. I still have at least 30lbs to shed, and I'm hoping to be done with my initial fat loss phase by the end of June.
I am not flexible, where does a beginner start for flexibility? As well purchasing Coach Sommer's book, I borrowed a book from the library called "Relax Into Stretch" by Pavel Tastsouline, is this a good starting point?
There's my background information, what I'd really like to know is where do I go from here? can I start bodyweight resistance training right away on a caloric deficit diet? What kinda of exercises should I start with? Push ups, crunches, dips, pull ups, squats? How do I get more flexible? What kind of program should I following?
I hope some of you can provide some insight, thank you.