This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

2017 Thoracic Bridge Progress Updates - GB Community

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 30, 2016 · 31 Replies · 1,077 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

In light of @Ryan Bailey's posts regarding his progress in one year's time I thought it'd be a healthy and fun check-in/competition for people to post their progress to start off the New Year. I'll be posting my starting form next week "week 1" and then throughout the year or by NYE 2017, people can update and see where they're at. Here are two links of @Ryan Bailey's progress in case people are skeptical of the payoff that consistency may provide. 

 

 @Jon Douglas @Alessandro Mainente. 

 

Johan Tideland

Hi

I thought I would share 2 videos of my thoracic bridge with you. In August 2015 I injured my back and had a herniated disc in my lower back, I also injured both my wrists in April 2015 and have been struggling with the recovery since then. As of July 2016 I have not had any more wrist issues, I try to really focus on taking baby steps with everything that involves wrist work and it seems to work. 

When I started doing the stretch series in April 2016 the thoracic bridge gave me discomfort in my lower back and wrists and I had to basically start in a handstand position but I could not hold it for more than 10s since I did not want to aggravate my wrists. Thus I continued to sloooooowly increase my distance from the wall and my hold times as the weeks passed.

http://WIN 20160614 21 59 47 Pro This is in April one of my first sessions, I had a bit of discomfort in my wrist and lower back when I did it. Do excuse the bad video angle, this was the only old thoracic bridge video I found.

https://youtu.be/kD9of9pzG2w This is today, completely pain free and it actually feels good.

 

I am nowhere near to having a good thoracic bridge but I am quite pleased with my progress so far and I am looking forward to what the future holds.:)

 Johan

Alessandro Mainente

Nice work man. what surprised me it is "pain free", enjoy that, really.

Johan Tideland

Thanks Alessandro, I do enjoy it :)

Briac Roquet

My entry. Series done today. It still looks strange.

 

20170104_160459.jpg

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Man, oh man, do I need to work on this. Even standing up I can't get into position. Yes, I know that some would likely want to suggest that I invert my body, however, if you'll note my shoulder flexion is lagging (even though when doing HS/PE1>iM I'm quite okay). Lots of room for improvement here.

 

I took the first video and then saw how much of the stretch was in my lumbar so I redid it in photo 2. Additionally, my shoulder extension could use some work.

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

 

Ryan Bailey

A new year: A time for exposing weaknesses; so here is a few of mine... The Final Four of the Bridge Series.

A quick history:

First 6 months of this series: Unable to even try final 4 exercises. Too weak to hold myself upside down after all the other stretches.

Next 6 months: finally improved strength to hold only 3x10s of a very high elevated bridge stretch. And that was with handstand entry, unable to press up. I would then stop the series there. 

Last 6 months: finally able to train somewhat towards the Final 4. So that is what I will share for beginning 2017.

1) Elevated Thoracic Bridge

Maybe 40s Max set without the crazy struggle.

2) Elevated Thoracic Bridge Pushup:

8r Max at best.

3) Hip Taps (My form is currently somewhere between a fish out of water or having a seizure. Plus pretty spent after doing 5x10 Pseudo Planche Pushups :).

(I have no idea how to do a hip tap; the opposite leg wants to come up with the opposite hand)

And finally #4,

4) Wall Walk (Range of Movement)

So, 2017 goal is to be able to complete the "Final Four" and be able to train all elements of the Thoracic Bridge Stretch Series. Good luck to everyone's steady progress.

Ryan

Jon Douglas

Bridge photos to come; I'm jet lagged in an airport hotel and not willing to post picsof myself just now :D 

Suzanna McGee
16 hours ago, Ryan Bailey said:

a fish out of water or having a seizure.

Aw, Ryan, thank you for the giggle… that's how I feel, only was not able to put it in the words so nicely :) btw, I love your bridge push-ups. You can do them probably in the handstand (off the wall) too, they look that strong!

Suzanna McGee

A little quick history (like Ryan did):

Started TBS on my 51-year birthday August 12, 2016, 5 months ago. The first session I thought I would die, and I was horrified how bad my shoulder flexibility was. Much worse than I thought. I was crying all over the forums here :) 

After about one month, the worst was over and I started to look forward to my stretches. There was no way I could push myself into an elevated bridge. I read about every post here on the forums to find some tip and @Alessandro Mainente was the most patient coach ever and each week giving me some suggestion… I tried them all and none of them worked for me. So I was doing the standing version. 

On my session 13, I got this idea to use a rubber band to support some of my body weight, and I was able to push myself into the elevated bridge for the first time… Yay!!!  Not pretty, but yay anyway! Since then (next 8 sessions), I worked myself to 60 seconds elevated bridge, 10 mini push-ups and 6 hip-taps on my left arm, right is not working :) 

My goal for 2017 is to elevate myself without the rubber band. And to get my upper body and arms beautifully vertical in the elevated bridge and straight legs… whatever rung I am on. And all 10 hip-taps on both arms (aka, I have to fix the tightness in my right shoulder).

January 1st was my session number 21… let's see what the next 52 sessions will bring!!!

 

My 60s elevated bridge… (I felt like my arms and chest were vertical and my legs were straight… the video doesn't lie, my mind does :) )

 

2) My 10 elevated mini push-ups

 

3) My wall walk… got it down to the 3rd rung. When I started, I was not able to go below the shoulders. 

 

4) And 3.5 months difference:

 

Thoracic Bridge Sept 2016 Jan 2017.JPG

Mark Schoenhard

Elevated Thoracic Bridge 1-6-17.JPG

Elias Lehtinen

Here is my bridge from today. I started all the strech series in April -16. I can only hold the bridge for 15-20 sec and not able to do a single rep of the hip taps. Bridge push up are at 4 reps head not touching the floor. Lets see what changes 2017 will bring :).

IMG_20170107_164802.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

nice work here guys and girls.

Ryan Reynolds

Ok last one of the new year progress photos.  2016 after - 2017 before.

 

IMG_0695.JPG

Richard Thomas

Assisted Elevated bridge and last Bridge wall walk.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Rosemary De Lambert

Wow guys, you're all amazing!  For me today is day 1 of TS.  Made it to the bridge work and then ... nothing.  I've got nothing, nada.  No photos to post as nothing to photo!  I'd like  to try @Suzanna McGee 's suggestion of a band to take some of my weight, but my set up at home doesn't allow for it.  So hubby had to provide the support!  I'm inspired by all of your progress and am reassured in a weird way that it may take months, and maybe more.  I hope to post my starting photo soon ;) 

Pauline Taube

Welcome Rosemary!

It's completely normal to struggle getting through the whole series to begin with. Just work as far as you can, and once your mobility and strength improve it'll be easier to get into the bridge. 

You can also look at @Ryan Bailey for a nice scaling alternative on how to get into the elevated bridge position :) 

Looking forward to see your progress. Feel free to post your current level so that we can follow your progress from the very beginning :D 

Suzanna McGee
17 hours ago, Rosemary De Lambert said:

I'd like  to try @Suzanna McGee 's suggestion of a band to take some of my weight, but my set up at home doesn't allow for it.  So hubby had to provide the support!

Rosemary, use your hubby as support, that should be just fine. I didn't have anybody, so I eventually installed the stallbars and figured out the rubber band thing. It took me weeks and weeks (18 to be precise) before I could even get into the rubberband-bridge. Just have patience, and enjoy the process. It WILL happen, some day :)

Affan Osman

Here is where I stand! I have lots of work to do, and I failed miserably at hip tap so not posting that vid :)

elevated thoracic bridge

 

elevated thoracic push-ups. Don't have strength to go all the way down

 

Bridge wall walks

 

Elias Lehtinen
On 7.1.2017 at 7:11 PM, Elias Lehtinen said:

Here is my bridge from today. I started all the strech series in April -16. I can only hold the bridge for 15-20 sec and not able to do a single rep of the hip taps. Bridge push up are at 4 reps head not touching the floor. Lets see what changes 2017 will bring :).

IMG_20170107_164802.jpg

So here is my bridge update. Upper pic is from 2017 and lower from today.

Im able to hold the bridge 45-50 sec and push ups are at 5 reps head touching the floor. Hip taps with bent knees (well im able to lift hands of the floor) are at 10 reps. So in other words, progress :).

IMG-20180106-WA0001.thumb.jpg.20db2b92c622c086bd2200000ae6a40c.jpg

Tanya Hill

Very nice progress Elias. The bridge pushups are definitely one of my personal favorites they help me open up so much. 

 

Elias Lehtinen

Thank you Tanya. I like them too and the whole bridge series has become my favorite workout of all. Maybe because I desperately need the mobility to make progress in other elements but also because I had some shoulder issues in early 2017 and had to skip some of the stretches completely. It feels great to be able to do everything again and make progress.

Ryan Reynolds
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, Ryan Reynolds said:

Ok last one of the new year progress photos.  2016 after - 2017 before.

 

IMG_0695.JPG

 

2017 After / 2018 Before.  I changed my set up for elevated bridge, to take the pressure of my lumbar spine and my shoulders couldn't hold the old version for no more than 30 sec.  I was dealing with tennis elbow from too much racquetball + high rep upper body PEs (done inconsistently) for most of 2017 and only managed 25 sessions 48%...fail. I think I've got the elbow health on the right track now its been feeling good.

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Ryan,

happy to hear that your elbows are getting better!

keep up with your training! We are looking forward to see your continuous progress :) 

Jonas Berglund

Here are mine progress. In FS and MSS i did have some goals coming into 2018 because ive been mobile in those in the past and I knew more what to expect. On the flipside to the thoratic bridge, who ive never ever worked for prior to joining GB. So i had No goal with it other than get a good stretch and loosen up every time i worked on it. And also i was so damn stiff that i couldnt even imagine how a bridge would feel like. 

I have started to enjoy the TB series alot, the stretches feel better now and i think I have made some small but steady progress in the bridge.

Still i cant hold the position for 1m so im stopping the stretch after this exercise.

F306FFCA-0EF5-4143-9A93-04E841F9C433.jpeg