This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

2017 Middle Split Progress Updates - GB Community

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 30, 2016 · 34 Replies · 1,561 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

In light of @Ryan Bailey's posts regarding his progress in one year's time I thought it'd be a healthy and fun check-in/competition for people to post their progress to start off the New Year. I'll be posting my starting form next week "week 1" and then throughout the year or by NYE 2017, people can update and see where they're at. Here are two links of @Ryan Bailey's progress in case people are skeptical of the payoff that consistency may provide. 

 @Jon Douglas @Alessandro Mainente. 

 

 

 

 

Craig Copeland

Daniel:

I'm in. Thanks to you for creating this thread, and thanks to Ryan Bailey for the inspirational pictures in the Foundations thread. 

-Craig 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Cool deal! I'll be posting my starting photos for each thread next week after going through each series. Happy early New Year.

Jonas Berglund

I like it Daniel, im about 2months into all 3 stretching routines. Will

post some pics as soon as im free from the flu.

Stephen Majerle

Great idea. Here is my before pic of middles splits to start 2017. Hoping to be all the way down by year end. IMG_2419.JPG

Ryan Reynolds

Finally got in some GST tonight.  Here is my 2016 after / 2017 before.  Happy new year everyone.

IMG_0621.JPG

Maria Marklove

I'm in.

Sorry for the dodgy angle. My room is very small (I have to rearrange it 4 times just to get through the middle split stretching vid!) But, as they say, "start with what you have, because what you have is plenty."

20170103_215924.jpg

Oussama KHELLADI

sorry the angle is too short because i photographed my self with a timer and lack of space

i almost splitted my self at the first test because the two mats splitted apart during the ISO Middle stretch XD

 

 

15870692_10211714314004225_735102436_n.jpg

Malcolm Watters

IMG_1704.JPGStarting point

Craig Copeland

IMG_1937.JPG

Suzanna McGee

2017 "before"…  (I've been doing the MSS for about 4 months by now)

Pancake, standing split, and the frog… (I remember the times when I was able to do only about 90 degrees between my legs in the Frog, but I don't have any photo… now I am only a few inches off the ground. Yay!)

 

 

Pancake Jan 4 2017.JPG

Middle Split Jan 4 2017.JPG

Frog Jan 4 2017.jpg

Oussama KHELLADI
25 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

2017 "before"…  (I've been doing the MSS for about 4 months by now)

Pancake, standing split, and the frog… (I remember the times when I was able to do only about 90 degrees between my legs in the Frog, but I don't have any photo… now I am only a few inches off the ground. Yay!)

 

impressive progression suzanna any extra work for the frog or just the one week session ? 

Suzanna McGee
1 minute ago, Oussama KHELLADI said:

impressive progression suzanna any extra work for the frog or just the one week session ? 

Thank you! I added the Frog into my daily limbering session, which I do just before I go to sleep… my body is tired and my mind too, so I noticed that I really relax well into the stretches. I hold it for about 2–3 minutes. 

Oussama KHELLADI
Just now, Suzanna McGee said:

Thank you! I added the Frog into my daily limbering session, which I do just before I go to sleep… my body is tired and my mind too, so I noticed that I really relax well into the stretches. I hold it for about 2–3 minutes. 

from now on it will be my daily limbering then thanks a lot :D

Mark Schoenhard

Middle Splits 1-7-17.JPG

Craig Copeland

Mark's picture of his middle split (above) reminds me to ask this question:   if he kept his feet planted flat on the ground (that is, soles of his feet on the ground) with toes pointing towards the camera and attempted this split, that would be stimulating/activating/working a slightly different set of muscles/connective tissue, yes?  

And are both positions (toes forward vs. toes aligned with ankle & shin) worth exploring/working on?   I'm still so inflexible -- even after close to 2 years with all 3 stretch series -- that I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Craig

Stephen Majerle

Toes pointed straight ahead keeps the stretch on the adductors. Toes pointed outward lessens the stretch and for most people will let you go down a little more. Kind of like keeping your hips square in front splits, you want to keep the feet pointed forward to get the strongest stretch. 

John Deliyiannis

IMG_0001-8.jpg

Briac Roquet

And my MS entry. Don't mention my lower back, it's just my huge back muscles. I swear.

20170106_165710.jpg20170106_165811.jpg

Richard Thomas

'Hi all, my entry. I'm about 18 weeks into Foundation and Stretch series.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Here's my first go for 2017. Not terrible, not great. 

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

Craig Copeland

Daniel:

is that a teddy bear on the floor in those pics?  I'm also frequently in need of a good cuddle during my stretch series work. :) Sometimes I just lie on the floor in a puddle of self-pity. 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
13 minutes ago, Craig Copeland said:

Daniel:

is that a teddy bear on the floor in those pics?  I'm also frequently in need of a good cuddle during my stretch series work. :) Sometimes I just lie on the floor in a puddle of self-pity. 

 

 
 

It once was a teddy bear, most likely. Now, it's just a pretty torn up chew toy. I dogsit from time-to-time to make some money. Ruffles the dog left his toys strewn about while I stretched. 

Elias Lehtinen

Here's few pics from todays MS session.

 

IMG-20170109-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170109-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20170109-WA0006.jpg

John Kiggundu
On January 5, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

Thank you! I added the Frog into my daily limbering session, which I do just before I go to sleep… my body is tired and my mind too, so I noticed that I really relax well into the stretches. I hold it for about 2–3 minutes. 

I'm definitely making that a goal for 2017 beginning today. Right after I'm done brushing my teeth.