I’m forty years old and have been training with free weights for nearly two years. Last week, I came across the article Building an Olympic Body through Bodyweight Conditioning. The skill and power required to do a simple thing like the Frog Stand has impressed me. My weakness when it comes to pull ups, chin ups, and chest dips is almost frightening. What I can do right now is:
Frog Stand for 40 seconds uninterrupted
5 sets of 2 pull ups :oops:
5 sets of 5 dips
5 sets of 2 chin ups :oops:
8 rounds of 3 minutes jump rope @ 140 rpm or faster, 1 minute rest intervals
I don’t even think my form on the pull ups / chin ups is that great, but that’s something I can and will work on. I train in the morning on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. On training days, I do my jump rope sessions in the afternoon. On non-training days, I do them in the morning. I only rest from everything on Sundays.
After my first workout last Monday, I got some mad, mad DOMS in my chest, shoulders, back, biceps, and triceps. That’s certainly another sign that Bench Presses, Deadlifts, and Squats are probably not perfect substitutes for bodyweight exercises. I have always found free weights a little boring, and this gymnastics stuff is really great – challenging, motivating, and very interesting. But let me come to my question …
Does my workout make sense or should I change something? My goal is strength and definition, and as I said before, I’m a complete beginner with bodyweight and gymnastics exercises.