This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mana PE1

Started by Ryan Segervall, December 11, 2016 · 42 Replies · 741 Views

Ryan Segervall
48 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

 

Your warmup set and reps during the workout are looking much better. Now all you need to do is keep compressing that way at the top of each rep. You're closing in on mastery for sure.

F

- glad to here it! Ill keep cranking away :) 

For the iM, try to reach further through your legs with your bottom hand. Also, how heavy is that dumbbell?

 

- this was a 12lb dumbell. I usually use an 8lb but all of the 8s and 10s were being used. My left arm struggles with the proprioception and awareness of where that dumbell is in space. Its been getting better with practice but there was still a little sway towards my midline at the bottom of my reps in the 2,3,&4th sets.

In terms of load it actually felt quite nice and was getting a strong contraction throughout the rotator cuff, where as with the lighter weights I never reallt felt them firing. However the fatigue was minmal with the 12lb i could just feel them working, if you know what I mean.

Do you want me to bump it back down to 8lbs?  Or continue with the 12 but focus on keepin that left arm positioned correctly? 

 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Keep using 12lbs. 

Ryan Segervall

 

- Revisiting Mastery volume felt much much better this time around. I feel like compression and technique are improving but are they close to the what is required to move on? 

 

- For im I played around with a 10lb bottom up kettle bell, definitely a bit more challenging on the stabilizers but in a good way, rate of perceived exertion on the im around a 5. 

 

Let me know what I can improve on! Or if you think I am ready to move onto PE2

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

Awesome improvement! It looks like you have really been focusing on corrections and getting after it.

You are doing a nice job on your tuck-ups. Your compression looks good in your first few sets, but as you get tired your hip angle starts to open up more. I recommend taking a step back and focusing on slowing down and smoothing out your reps. You are picking up some jerking as you do your tuck up which takes strain off of the muscles. By taking a step back and making your reps slower and smoother, you will be able to build the strength needed for mastery.

On your iM, only go as low as you are able while keeping the knees straight. If you only go as low as you can with locked knees, your flexibility will improve. If you continue to allow the knee to bend, it will not improve.

You're doing a great job. Keep working on it, you're almost there!

Ryan Segervall
3 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

 

You are doing a nice job on your tuck-ups. Your compression looks good in your first few sets, but as you get tired your hip angle starts to open up more. I recommend taking a step back and focusing on slowing down and smoothing out your reps. You are picking up some jerking as you do your tuck up which takes strain off of the muscles. By taking a step back and making your reps slower and smoother, you will be able to build the strength needed for mastery.

You're doing a great job. Keep working on it, you're almost there!

- I will dial it back to 4x12 and post another form check and see how it looks. Going to really try to make the last rep look as good as the first and drill that compression in once and for all.  

- Also in regards to the knee bend, Ill try not going quite as far. I am consciously squeezing the living crap out of that knee but I do see what you guys are seeing, very small amount of knee bend at bottom transition. 

 

Trying to remain a mature athlete and remain patient :) 

Appreciate the feedback!

Jeffrey Bittner

Keep it up Ryan. You're doing a great job!

Ryan Segervall

 

here is my 4x12. For the most part I felt the tempo and compression was very consistent form start to finish. felt good. Let me know if you advise a further regression, or if this is a good place to hang out for a couple weeks. 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

Awesome job focusing on corrections. This looks like a good place for you to build some strength. You are doing a good job of getting good compression throughout all of your sets. You are still picking up a bit of jerking as you tuck up. Keep working on smoothing out your reps and going slower on your lift.

Also a good improvement on your iM. Great job focusing on straightening the knees!

Ryan Segervall
6 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Ryan,

Awesome job focusing on corrections. This looks like a good place for you to build some strength. You are doing a good job of getting good compression throughout all of your sets. You are still picking up a bit of jerking as you tuck up. Keep working on smoothing out your reps and going slower on your lift.

Also a good improvement on your iM. Great job focusing on straightening the knees!

Sounds like a plan to me! I'll hang out here for another 3 weeks and then post a form check to see if i'm ready to progress. I'll work on taking the momentum out of some of the reps and making the concentric a bit smother. 

Thanks for the help!

Jeffrey Bittner

Happy to help, Ryan. You're doing awesome!

Ryan Segervall

- So after regressing back down to 4x12 for 3 weeks I am feeling much stronger especially toward the last couple reps. 

I Would mark this progression as easy, as I had about 3-5 reps left in the tank by the end of the final set. Awaiting a coaches approval of my form before I move on.  

 

Let me know if I am okay to progress or should stay here. 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome job, Ryan. It looks good. Nice job being patient and consistent!

Ryan Segervall

Gave the 4x15 another go, does this look like an appropriate place to be for the next couple weeks before I attempt mastery again? 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Ryan Segervall,

Form looks good to me. If I can add something is to keep your toes pointed and also to never bend your elbows during the tuck up. Other than that everything looks great.

Ryan Segervall

 

@Everett Carroll @Jeffrey Bittner @Leo Trinidad

Today I was feeling extra good and in the zone. Went for 5x15 really trying to keep form consistent throughout the entire 10 minutes. 

Im checking in with you guys to see what your thoughts are on my form as well as what your thoughts are on progressing onward to mana PE2

 

I appreciate all of your guy's feedback throughout this 5month mana PE1 journey 

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice work, Ryan. It looks good!

Leo Trinidad

Hi Ryan,

Awesome job. :) You don't need to post the whole video. The 5th set would do.

Ryan Segervall
4 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

 You don't need to post the whole video. The 5th set would do.

will keep in mind for future form checks. 

 

Thanks for feedback! Going to stay at 5x15 for one more session then progress onwards and upwards to PE 2