This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mana PE1

Started by Ryan Segervall, December 11, 2016 · 42 Replies · 741 Views

Ryan Segervall

Let me know how this looks. In my opinion it was a bit sloppy. Last set got separated for some reason.  

I also find myself rushed when trying to follow the follow along workouts. Almost would rather do it on my own so I can focus on a steady tempo.

Anyways what do you think? 4x15r 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

Keep using the follow along videos. You will adapt to the pace and build more work capacity in the process. 

For the PE:

-Before moving on from step 9, you want to have more compression. You know you have enough compression when your knees and upper thighs contact your chest. 

For the iM:

-In the starting position, elevate your loaded shoulder up high (shrug) towards your ear.

-Be sure your knees are totally locked. I couldn't confirm because of your pants. 

-As you descend, rotate your shoulder more. You did a good job of rotating steadily but more rotation should be possible for you.  

Ryan Segervall
On 12/11/2016 at 4:18 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Ryan,

Keep using the follow along videos. You will adapt to the pace and build more work capacity in the process. 

For the PE:

-Before moving on from step 9, you want to have more compression. You know you have enough compression when your knees and upper thighs contact your chest. 

For the iM:

-In the starting position, elevate your loaded shoulder up high (shrug) towards your ear.

-Be sure your knees are totally locked. I couldn't confirm because of your pants. 

-As you descend, rotate your shoulder more. You did a good job of rotating steadily but more roattion should be possible for you.  

 

Hey, 

 I reduced volume from 5x12 to 5x9 to really focus on getting that compression a bit better. 

- I am using no weight on the mobility for now but will introduce a 3lb weight soon once I make a bit more progress on my elbow rehab. 

- also after switching to training twice per week (mon, thur)  instead of 3 times per week I am feeling stronger each session. Will be progressing back to 5x12 within the next three training sessions

Let me know anything I should change. 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

Nice improvement on your compression. Your tuck-ups are looking awesome.

On your iM, keep focusing on pushing tall through the shoulder at the top of each rep as Everett mentioned. Also, you are picking up some knee bend at the bottom of some of your reps. Keep the knees straight as you lower.

Keep up the good work!

Ryan Segervall
9 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Ryan,

Nice improvement on your compression. Your tuck-ups are looking awesome.

On your iM, keep focusing on pushing tall through the shoulder at the top of each rep as Everett mentioned. Also, you are picking up some knee bend at the bottom of some of your reps. Keep the knees straight as you lower.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feed back Ill put that in my notes for next training session!

Ryan Segervall
On 1/9/2017 at 10:25 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

On your iM, keep focusing on pushing tall through the shoulder at the top of each rep as Everett mentioned. Also, you are picking up some knee bend at the bottom of some of your reps. Keep the knees straight as you lower.

 

-  IM: I really focused on keeping the shoulder elevated and leg locked.  felt a substantial increase in difficulty to keep arm/hand facing straight up and down when emphasizing the elevated scapula ( You will notice the struggle around set three). 

 

-  tuck ups are feeling really good,  going to get one or two more training session and before progressing on to the next level.  difficulty keeps getting easier and easier, would rank this session as moderate intensity.  had about three or four more reps in the tank before reaching failure at the end of all the sets. Compression felt solid 

 

-  let me know if there's anything I can improve on, appreciate the help!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

Nice improvement. Your iM is looking much better. You are doing a good job pushing tall through the shoulder. Make sure that you stand all the way up on all of your reps. Knees are looking better, but still need some attention. Keep working on straightening them. 

You're doing a good job, keep working hard!

Ryan Segervall
On 1/16/2017 at 9:00 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Ryan,

Nice improvement. Your iM is looking much better. You are doing a good job pushing tall through the shoulder. Make sure that you stand all the way up on all of your reps. Knees are looking better, but still need some attention. Keep working on straightening them. 

You're doing a good job, keep working hard!

I progressed onto 4x12 from 5x9. Also I started to add some weight on the iM, this is 4lbs and my elbows were able to handle it just fine. Since this is the first time Ive used weight on the iM I thought Id submit a form check. Let me know what I can improve on.

 

Thanks!!

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

For the PE, work on sitting your chest up higher, making your spine longer. Your compression is getting good though! For the iM, be sure to reach through your legs and not just to the ground. Also make sure you come all the way back to standing straight up before descending again. 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ryan,

Not much to add to Everett's comments. On your iM you are still picking up a small knee bend on some of your reps. You are definitely improving. Great job!

Ryan Segervall
30 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

\

For the PE, work on sitting your chest up higher, making your spine longer. 

by this do you mean have less flexion in the spine? Keep chest tall and spine relatively neutral? 

Everett Carroll

Exactly Ryan. Keep up all the hard work!

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll

heres another swing at, tried to implement what you suggested. Let me know how it looks. 

 

Thanks!

 

 

Everett Carroll

Huge improvement on this one Ryan! The only suggestion I have is to bring your feet all the way to the floor between each tuck up rep. Everything else is coming along nicely.

Johan Engelin

I have a question concerning tuck-ups: I find that the top position could be balanced on my behind, making it practically a resting position between reps for me. If I lean back however, contracting my abs enough to compress at the top position becomes exponentially more difficult. So my question is, which one of these forms are correct? 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Johan,

In the top position of the tuck up you are actively trying to pull your thighs to your chest, this should not be a resting position. My best advice when you have questions regarding your form performing an exercise is to submit a video. Once we are able to see you performing the exercise one of our coaches will be able to determine if there are any corrections needed. 

Johan Engelin
15 hours ago, Darin Phoenix said:

Hi Johan,

In the top position of the tuck up you are actively trying to pull your thighs to your chest, this should not be a resting position. My best advice when you have questions regarding your form performing an exercise is to submit a video. Once we are able to see you performing the exercise one of our coaches will be able to determine if there are any corrections needed. 

Thank you for your reply Darin, I will try and get a video up this weekend =)

Ryan Segervall

Hey hey hey, after 10 weeks I've finally reached mastery volume on this PE! its a small victory but ill take it

Let me know how this looks. I managed to finish my last set with 1 maybe 2 reps left in the tank. 

 

- ah and just noticed on my iM im letting that weight drop behind my head, should I correct this so my arm is more perpendicular with the floor at the bottom?

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

For the iM, you are correct in that you want the weight completely stacked over your shoulder. Definitely start working to correct that. 

Keep with this PE until you are able to compress more. Focus on pulling thighs and knees in even closer to your torso. Also fight for more PPT at the start of each rep; work to reduce the space between your lower back and the ground when you are fully extended. 

Ryan Segervall

Just to clarify on what optimal form should look like. Bello I have posted two pictures one with good core compression but a bend in the spine, the other from my most recent update with okay core compression but my spine is neutral. 

Is optimal with a neutral spine and knees to chest? as before you told me that I shouldn't have a bend in the spine and I should try to have it in a more neutral position. Just trying to clarify. 

 

 

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 1.59.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 1.59.53 PM.png

Ryan Segervall

I may have answered my own question here by comparing myself to form video. 

In my most recent form check I see that spine is how it should be, chin should be down a little however, and thighs need to get a little bit closer to my chest. I am regressing back down a level to focus on this compression in junction with tall spine before moving back up to mastery volume 

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 2.29.19 PM.png

Ryan Segervall

 So I focused on trying to get as strong of a compression as possible each rep. Let me know if this is what you guys are looking for in regards to form!

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

They are getting much better!

1. Keep striving to sit your chest of higher.

2. Actively pull your knees in close to your chest. I think a drill that will really help you is sitting/balancing in the top position while attempting to compress as much as possible. During this hold, work to sit your chest up tall while using your core and hips to actively pull your legs in. This is the compression you want to feel during each rep. Warm up for your core workout with 1 or 2 sets of this hold.

3. Relax your head (lay it down) at the bottom of each rep.

4. Watch out for slight knee bends during the iM. Focus on keeping your quads engaged. 

 

Ryan Segervall

 

@Everett Carroll

- I do apologize for the amount of times I have posted a form check for this movement. It might be one of those things that is just going to take some time to develop the proper compression in the hip flexors/abdomen (even tho I feel like im close, cause the bottom of my thigh is maybe an inch away at most from my trunk at the top) .

Im trying to stay tall during the set but when I think about getting my knees closer to my chest it seems like my thoracic always wants to go into some degree of flexion. 

Check out my warm up set, is that an ideal top position for the most part? Or am I completely messing it up? I tried to mimic this top position during my sets but cant say it was perfect. Fatigue wise I felt very strong through this 4x15 session which is a plus despite my struggle to get the form dialed. 

 

If this is still wrong could you maybe post a video of you doing a set just so I have another source to compare too outside of the videos already provided. 

 

And as always I do really appreciate all of your help

 

- Ryan 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

No need to apologize for seeking help and perfect execution. I respect your dedication and focus!

Your warmup set and reps during the workout are looking much better. Now all you need to do is keep compressing that way at the top of each rep. You're closing in on mastery for sure.

For the iM, try to reach further through your legs with your bottom hand. Also, how heavy is that dumbbell?