This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE7

Started by Guido Franchetti, December 9, 2016 · 27 Replies · 458 Views

Guido Franchetti

I am currently on PE5, but I have started playing, at then end of my H1 session, with PE7. Any feedback on my handstand against the wall?Thanks!

In the first video I keep my hands relatively far from the wall, in the second I try to get my hands closer.

 

 

Suzanna McGee

I don't have any comments on your handstand, but rather question to the coaches who are going to answer here:  are we supposed to have the thighs, hips and chest on the wall during PE7? I've been trying to keep them slightly off the wall, with only toes touching, to kind of strengthen my core… I tried today to push everything on the wall like Quido, and it does feel slightly different… maybe more shoulder flexion, but easier in the body leaning on the wall… in the future, should the body touch the wall or just very close but don't touch? 

Guido Franchetti

bump!

Alessandro Mainente

Not bad, try to reach the wall with the armpit by improving the protraction (think about rotate laterally your shoulder blades).

Suzanna McGee
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Not bad, try to reach the wall with the armpit by improving the protraction (think about rotate laterally your shoulder blades).

So @Alessandro Mainente, does it mean that the entire body (legs, hips, chest) should be touching the wall? I've been doing these not touching anything but the feet… I didn't know, and started to question first now when I see Quido's nice handstand… 

Alessandro Mainente

the more you can touch the wall the better it is, this mean that the anterior part of the body it is completely flat and as a consequence the posterior it is rounded.

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

the more you can touch the wall the better it is, this mean that the anterior part of the body it is completely flat and as a consequence the posterior it is rounded.

Great, Alessandro, thank you! I did 5x30s today, and everything was touching the wall, legs, hips, abs, chest… It felt very different, and I liked it!

Thanks @Guido Franchetti for posting your video from side like this, or I would never know I should be flat on the wall :)

Guido Franchetti
19 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Not bad, try to reach the wall with the armpit by improving the protraction (think about rotate laterally your shoulder blades).

Thanks Alessandro, I will work on that.

No problem @Suzanna McGee, best wishes for your HS!

Guido Franchetti
On 12/13/2016 at 2:55 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Not bad, try to reach the wall with the armpit by improving the protraction (think about rotate laterally your shoulder blades).

I am trying to do this but I am not sure I am doing it right. To improve protraction I find it natural to internally rotate the arms (isometrically), that is right hand counterclockwise, left hand clockwise. I have the doubt I should do the opposite even if it comes less natural. Which one is it?

Alessandro Mainente

in fact since the hand it is fixed on the floor, when you protract the only one mobile point it is the lateral edge of the scapulae and when it moves to the side it produces a movement of the inner elbow which will be pointed forward. when moving from inward to forward there is an external rotation.

if you internally rotate the upper arm you are retracting.

Guido Franchetti

Ok,  good that I asked. Thanks!

Guido Franchetti

For fun, I have been trying balancing a bit after my regular HS work.

First question: is it too early for me to be trying that?

Second: any advice given the videos below?

FIRST VIDEO: seems to me that I was actually hyperflexing, and compensating in a sort of inverted banana shape, so I tried moving the hands closer to the wall, as in SECOND VIDEO, but did not manage to balance much.

In the next three attempts I tried facing the wall. Alignment seems much better to me, the problem is that, since I do not know how to cartwheel out, I feel a bit uncomfortable.

 

https://youtu.be/dL1HKyk0BwE

 

Guido Franchetti

bump

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Guido, there is no necessity to move forward too early. simply follow the progression of the course, they will teach you the transition pretty well. the back to wall variation it is the worst approach to the free balance.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks! All right, I'll try not to rush forward then, and if I really feel like playing with balancing I will avoid the back to the wall variant.

Guido Franchetti

From the next workout I plan to start working seriously on this PE. It is not clear to me what exactly I should focus on at this point:

1) Which parts of the body should be in contact with the wall? Is it chest and upper tights with hips not touching the wall?

2) Which elements of proper handstand form should I focus on? In particular regarding shoulder elevation, protraction and PPT, should I work on them all or is the emphasis on something in particular at this point?

Thanks!

Guido Franchetti

bump!

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Guido Franchetti,

I highly suggest that you work on everything. (Foundations and Handstand One) If you are working on your balance, you can try with your ribs in contact with the wall only. (keep your shoulders open and your body stacked, make sure that you look down and not towards the wall, lengthen your body upward and keep a nice strong PPT) 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks @Leo Trinidad !

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I have no intention to put aside Foundation and the Stretch Series, I just meant that PE7 will be the main focus of my handstand workout as up to now I was working on PE6 and only occasionally playing with PE7.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Guido Franchetti,

Don't worry I also didn't mean that you were neglecting the Foundations or the Stretch Series but I want to emphasize that these courses have huge carry over for your handstand strength and alignment. Yes you can always play with other progressions as soon as you finish your main workout. :)

Guido Franchetti

First two videos show a short hold from the side and from the back

 

 In the third video I try to lift the legs from the wall as suggested by Leo. It seems to me that I am arching a bit even if I am not closing the shoulders.

Any feedback is welcome!

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Guido, in this exercise the tendency of lean ti is common when the major part of the weight it is supported by the wall and not by the hands. the primarily goal of the wall handstand it is to feel the alignment while using the wall as an aid. Basically, if you feel yourself falling on the wall you need to correct it. a good way to avoid that is try to reach the wall wih your armpit.

Guido Franchetti

Grazie Ale! I don't think I was leaning much against the wall, but I'll pay more attention to it next time!

Alessandro Mainente

In order to test how much you are leaning, you can use my strategy, use one foot to support the weight on the wall (and the other in a handstand position) so that you can take off the chest from the wall. now, take off from the wall the foot and see if you fall on the wall or you tend to hold the weight stacked over the hands. there is no strategy to overcome this test, if you are leaning on the wall then you will fall into it.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Alessandro, I'll try that.