This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jeffrey's journal

Started by Jeffrey, January 21, 2010 · 25 Replies · 2,013 Views

Jeffrey

A totall beginner trying to do it right. While keeping a journal I hope to get some feedback on my training and to learn more about gymnastics.

The first 8 weeks will be basic FB training:

Workout A:

Planche progression (frog stand for now)

Powerclean (3x5)

Tucked FL pull ups (3x5)

Dips (3x5)

Chin ups (3x5)

DL (1x5)

Stretching en rehabilitation

Workout B:

Front lever progression training (tucked FL for now)

Dumbell Clean (3x5)

Pseudo planche push ups (3x5):

Barball Rows (3x5)

Dips (3x5)

Rehabilitation for the knee (got patellofemoral syndrome after breaking my patella, this will mainly be focussed on leg exercises)

Stretching

In 3, 2, 1.................

And go!

Jeffrey

Already got the first two workouts done.

19/01/2010: WK 1, D1

  • [*:tz4b1t33]Frog stand: 6x10 sec
    [*:tz4b1t33]Powerclean (3x5): 5x40, 5x40, 5x40
    [*:tz4b1t33]Tucked FL pull up (3x5): 3xbw, 2xbw, 2xbw
    [*:tz4b1t33]Dips (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:tz4b1t33]Chin ups(3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:tz4b1t33]DL (1x5): 5x70kg
    [*:tz4b1t33]Stretching and rehab

Comments:

Frog stand was easy. I move on the the next progression version (frog stand with straight arms). A good start. Gonna progress weekly in weight.

21/01/2010: WK 1, D2

  • [*:tz4b1t33]Front lever training: 4x6 sec
    [*:tz4b1t33]Dumbell Clean (3x5): 5x20, 5x22, 5x22
    [*:tz4b1t33]Pseudo planche push ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:tz4b1t33]Barball Rows (3x5): 5x40, 5x40, 5x40
    [*:tz4b1t33]Rehab for the knee
    [*:tz4b1t33]Stretching 20 mins

Comments:

Pretty good in doing push ups so the pseudo planche push ups are challeging for now. A bit confused how to keep my hands though. For the rest again a great session again.

Razz

Keep your hands however you are most comfortable. Good to see another workout log :D

Jeffrey
Razz said:
Keep your hands however you are most comfortable. Good to see another workout log :D

My wrists feel better when I keep mij fingers pointing backwards instead of pointing to the head (dunno if their are specific names for it). Although when I see peopel doing planches their fingers are pointing to the head. Thats why I wasnt sure.

Thanks for stopping by! :D

Richard Duelley

Your hands can face any way they want. So do what ever is most comfortable to you. :D

Jeffrey

23/01/2010: WK 1, D3

  • [*:k8p4k1d9]Frog stand Advances: 5x5 seconden
    [*:k8p4k1d9]Powerclean (3x5): 5x45, 5x45, 5x45
    [*:k8p4k1d9]Tucked FL pull up (3x5): 3xbw, 2xbw, 2xbw
    [*:k8p4k1d9]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+2,5, 5xbw+2,5, 5xbw+2,5
    [*:k8p4k1d9]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 4xbw, 4xbw
    [*:k8p4k1d9]Stretching en rehabilitatie

Comments:

Those FL Pull ups are too hard to do atm. I need to find another exercise to get me moving toward my first FL. Used a wider grip this time on the chins which made it heavy did the last rep kipping so actually I did 5 reps but strickt 4.

Jeffrey

25/01/2010: WK 2, D1

  • [*:2n5cmaws]Warming up
    [*:2n5cmaws]15 min handstand training
    [*:2n5cmaws]HIIT (30/30 secs for 10 rounds
    [*:2n5cmaws]Stretching and rehab

Comments

Heavy interval training but glad I did it.

26/01/2010: WK 2, D2

  • [*:2n5cmaws]Front lever training: 4x6-10 sec
    [*:2n5cmaws]Dumbell Clean (3x5): 5x22, 5x22, 5x22
    [*:2n5cmaws]Pseudo planche push ups (3x5): 5xbw, 6xbw, 6xbw
    [*:2n5cmaws]Chin ups(3x5): 5xBW, 5xBW, 5xBW
    [*:2n5cmaws]Rehab for the knee
    [*:2n5cmaws]Stretching 20 mins

Comments

FL felt good today, this is the second week but already getting 'familiar' with it.

Chins got better as well used the same grip as last workout.

Jeffrey

23/01/2010: WK 2, D3

  • [*:2u5btksg]Frog stand Advanced: 5xdunno how many secs
    [*:2u5btksg]Powerclean (3x5): 5x50, 5x50, 5x5 0
    [*:2u5btksg]Tucked FL pull up (3x5): 3xbw, 2xbw, 2xbw
    [*:2u5btksg]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+5, 5xbw+5, 5xbw+5
    [*:2u5btksg]Bent :Over Rows (3x5): 5x45, 5x45, 5x45
    [*:2u5btksg]Stretching en rehabilitatie

Comments:

The planche is gonna take longer than I expected. The advanced frog stand is really chellaging to keep balance. But on the other hand its just week 2 anything can happen. For the rest a descent session.

Emil Brannmark

Pretty impressive that you already have tuck front lever pullups. I wish I was close to those.

Jeffrey
Emil Brannmark said:
Pretty impressive that you already have tuck front lever pullups. I wish I was close to those.

The FL is going better than I expected yesterday I tried hold a One Leg Bent FL and could hold it for 3 secs. It isnt much but 2 weeks back I had trouble holding a tucked FL. I hoop the progression will continue this way. Thanks for stoping by Emil :D

Jeffrey

30/01/2010: WK 2, D4

  • [*:2agszqcp]Dumbell Clean (3x5): 5x24, 5x24, 5x24
    [*:2agszqcp]Front lever training: 10s, 5s, 3s, 3s
    [*:2agszqcp]Pseudo planche push ups (3x5): 9xbw, 6xbw, 6xbw
    [*:2agszqcp]Chin ups(3x5): 5xBW, 5xBW, 5xBW
    [*:2agszqcp]Rehab for the knee
    [*:2agszqcp]Incline DB curl (3x10): 10x14, 8x14, 7x14
    [*:2agszqcp]Tricep extensions (2x10): 10x45, 10x45
    [*:2agszqcp]Stretching 20 mins

Comments

Felt a bit tired today, had 3 hours sleep tonight which is way to short. Try to make that up tonight :wink:

Jeffrey

01/02/2010

  • [*:2hsklpl8]30 min cardio
    [*:2hsklpl8]15 min handstand balance practice
    [*:2hsklpl8]Stretching

Comments:

My handstand really need some work. Cant do a free stand. From time to time I can hold it for a few secs but thats not enough. Gonna up the time on task.

02/02/2010

  • [*:2hsklpl8]Frog stance advance: 4,5,5 secs
    [*:2hsklpl8]Powerclean (3x5): 5x50, 5x50, 5x50
    [*:2hsklpl8]Tucked FL pull ups (3x5): 3, 2, 2
    [*:2hsklpl8]Dips (3x5): 5x7, 5x7, 5x7
    [*:2hsklpl8]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:2hsklpl8]DL (1x5): 5x70
    [*:2hsklpl8]Stretching en rehabilitation

Comments:

Went well today. Had a ton of energy left. Beginning to adapt to the new trainings style :lol:

Jeffrey

06/02/2010

  • [*:3jo2hq8f]Power Clean (3x5): 5x50, 5x50, 5x50
    [*:3jo2hq8f]Front lever training: 8s, 8s, 6s, 6s
    [*:3jo2hq8f]Pseudo planche push ups (3x5): 9xbw, 8xbw, 6xbw
    [*:3jo2hq8f]Chin ups(3x5): 5xBW, 5xBW, 5xBW
    [*:3jo2hq8f]Dips(3x5): 5xBW, 5xBW, 5xBW
    [*:3jo2hq8f]BB curl (3x10): 9x30, 8x30, 6x30
    [*:3jo2hq8f]Tricep extensions (2x10): 10x50, 10x55
    [*:3jo2hq8f]Stretching 20 mins

Comments

Technique on the PC's are going pretty good! And hold my first tucked planche for 3 whole secs yesterday when playing around :lol: Very pleased with it!

Joshua Naterman

Take your time with the planche! If you're like me, and I did a lot of weightlifting/powerlifting exercises in addition to heavy pull ups and dips for years before coming here, your muscles will be stronger than your connective tissue. Take your time and don't mess with tuck planche until you're doing 3x20s with the advanced frogstand! Don't go to flat tuck until you've got 3x15-20s tuck! and DEFINITELY DON"T TRY STRADDLE until you have 3x20s flat tuck or 2x30s. Seriously :P Straddle is for real, much harder on the elbows. If you build up your strength first you'll be in it no problem.

Front lever came quickly for me, I started with 30s tuck and 4 months later had a 7 second full lay. I got hurt from doing straddle planche before I was ready, which is why I am warning you about the planches. Take your time! Seriously! :P I didn't build the elbow strength I needed for the straight arm work and I ended up not being able to train the front lever either for like 4 months! I'm back to a solid 10 second straddle again, but I won't be going to straddle work until I have 3x20-30s absolutely perfect flat tuck. I still get a little unstable the last few seconds of my second and 3rd set. Be a perfectionist with these, because it pays off in the end.

As for the handstands, stomach against the wall is great for developing strength and form, and I have been finding that back against the wall is the best for transitioning to free-standing. You just get up into ha straight handstand with your fingertips a few inches from the wall and then pull your heels off an inch! Nice and slowly! I held a 20 second free stand! I was thrilled, because it was by far the best form I've ever had for a freestanding handstand as well as the longest! I was averaging 5-10 before that. It really works well for me, so I hope that helps you as well. I still work a lot of stomach-to-wall for strength.

Emil Brannmark

Nice work!

One suggestion. I think you will find that sets of 5 on the power clean will be hard to progress once you've reached a heavy weight. I'd suggest 5 sets of 3 instead. If you're familiar with Mark Rippetoe, he has changed his recommendation from the first Starting Strength edition where he prescribed 3 sets of 5 to 5 sets of 3 instead. The reason being that such a high technique movement suffers greatly when fatigue sets in. Thus you should be able to move signifantly more weight with a lower rep scheme.

Jeffrey

@Slizzard: I know, I always want more than I can. I stick to the Advacned frog stance for now. Still have some trouble balacing. I cant affort to get an injury already in rehab for the knee. As for the handstands. The strength is there but I need to find balance. I'm going to add 3 more days of handstand practice prior to my training. hopefully that will get me started. thanks for stopping by!

@Emil: Yes I'm familiar with Ripps work. You got a good point there I thought about it too. For now its easy after that I will start doing 3 reps. Thanks for the advice Emil!

Jeffrey

10/02/2010

  • [*:25pwsiv3]Frog stance advance: 4,5,5 secs
    [*:25pwsiv3]Powerclean (3x5): 5x55, 5x55, 5x55
    [*:25pwsiv3]FL negatives (3x5): 5, 5, 5
    [*:25pwsiv3]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+10, 5xbw+10, 5xbw+10
    [*:25pwsiv3]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:25pwsiv3]Stretching en rehabilitation

Comments:

Pretty good session. A bit unsure about the FL dynamic workout though. I cant seems to find something which I'm comfortable with.

Jeffrey

12/02/2010

  • [*:2ojrbvjz]Front lever training: 10s, 8s, 6s,
    [*:2ojrbvjz]Pseudo planche push ups (3x5): 10xbw, 8xbw, 6xbw
    [*:2ojrbvjz]Chin ups(3x5): 5xBW+2kg, 5xBW+2kg, 5xBW+2kg
    [*:2ojrbvjz]Dips(3x5): 5xBW, 5xBW, 5xBW
    [*:2ojrbvjz]Leg rehab (band extensions and leg presses)
    [*:2ojrbvjz]Stretching 20 mins

Comments

Tend to fall flat on the nose while doing those pseudo planche push ups. I cant do more than 4 reps constructive other I fall pretty annoying.

Jeffrey

13/02/2010

  • [*:32ihujro]Frog stance advance: 4,5,5 secs
    [*:32ihujro]Powerclean (3x5): 5x55, 5x55, 5x55
    [*:32ihujro]FL negatives (3x5): 5, 5, 5
    [*:32ihujro]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+10, 5xbw+10, 5xbw+10
    [*:32ihujro]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:32ihujro]Deadlift (1x5): 5x90
    [*:32ihujro]Biceps/triceps superset: 3 sets
    [*:32ihujro]Stretching en rehabilitation

Comments:

Strong session today although I had some trouble balacing with the advanced frog stance.

Jeffrey

15/02/2010

  • [*:33u47s62]10 mins warming up
    [*:33u47s62]20min handstand training
    [*:33u47s62]20 mins cardio
    [*:33u47s62]Stretching

comments

first step in getting a solid handstand!

16/02/2010

  • [*:33u47s62]Flat tuck front lever: 8s, 8s, 8s,
    [*:33u47s62]Pseudo planche push ups (3x5): 10xbw, 8xbw, 6xbw
    [*:33u47s62]Chin ups(3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:33u47s62]Dips(3x5): 5xBW, 5xBW, 5xBW
    [*:33u47s62]Rehab (DB SLDL, Glure work)
    [*:33u47s62]10 mins handstand training
    [*:33u47s62]Stretching 20 mins

Comments

Im a bit too focussed on improving weight wise, somthing which I adopted from my previous training. I'm going to stop doing that and focus more on technique for now. Weights will come when the technique becomes better.

Jeffrey

18/02/2010

  • [*:25k8td4s]Frog stance advance: 4,5,5 secs
    [*:25k8td4s]Powerclean (3x3): 5x55, 5x55, 5x55
    [*:25k8td4s]FL negatives (3x5): 5, 5, 5
    [*:25k8td4s]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+10, 5xbw+10, 5xbw+10
    [*:25k8td4s]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:25k8td4s]Knee rehab: 3 sets
    [*:25k8td4s]Handstand: 4x10secs every 10th sec I tried te free stand as long as possible.
    [*:25k8td4s]Stretching

Comments:

Didnt do much stretching because my hams were still sore form tuesday.

the advanced frog stance is finally getting more balanced. happy with todays workout

Jeffrey

22/02/2010

  • [*:q36jhbki]10 min run
    [*:q36jhbki]15 min handstand practice
    [*:q36jhbki]15 min HIIT

Comments

Skipped a workout last saterday. Slept only a hour :(

23/02/2010

  • [*:q36jhbki]Frog stance advance: 4,5,5 secs
    [*:q36jhbki]Powerclean (3x3): 3x60, 3x60 PR
    [*:q36jhbki]FL negatives (3x5): 5, 5, 5
    [*:q36jhbki]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+12, 5xbw+12, 5xbw+12
    [*:q36jhbki]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:q36jhbki]Knee rehab: 3 sets
    [*:q36jhbki]Handstand: 4x10secs every 10th sec I tried te free stand as long as possible.
    [*:q36jhbki]Stretching

Comments:

Frog stance is improving! finally can hold a solid 5-8 secs :lol:

Jeffrey

25/02/2010

  • [*:25beg1y6]Flat tuck front lever: 8s, 8s, 8s,
    [*:25beg1y6]Pseudo planche push ups (3x5): 10xbw, 8xbw, 6xbw
    [*:25beg1y6]Chin ups(3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:25beg1y6]Dips(3x5): 5xBW, 5xBW, 5xBW
    [*:25beg1y6]Rehab (Knee)
    [*:25beg1y6]10 mins handstand training
    [*:25beg1y6]Stretching 20 mins

Comments

Nice session!

27/02/2010

  • [*:25beg1y6]Frog stance advance: 4,5,5 secs
    [*:25beg1y6]Powerclean (3x3): 3x65, 2x65 PR
    [*:25beg1y6]FL negatives (3x5): 5, 5, 5
    [*:25beg1y6]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+12, 5xbw+12, 5xbw+12
    [*:25beg1y6]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:25beg1y6]Dumbell DL's (2x8): 8x16kg, 8x16kg
    [*:25beg1y6]Stretching

Comments:

Last training. gonna deload next week and start with a new routine after that.

Jeffrey

03/03/2010

  • [*:30a6pfzh]Frog stance advance (on paralettes): 4,5,5 secs
    [*:30a6pfzh]Powerclean (3x3): 3x60, 3x65, 2x65
    [*:30a6pfzh]FL negatives (3x5): 5, 5, 5
    [*:30a6pfzh]Dips (3x5): 5xbw+14, 5xbw+14, 5xbw+14
    [*:30a6pfzh]Chin ups (3x5): 5xbw, 5xbw, 5xbw
    [*:30a6pfzh]Dumbell DL's (2x8): 8x18kg, 8x18kg
    [*:30a6pfzh]Stretching

Comments

The paralettes made a huge difference in the frog stance. I can hold the position easier than on the ground. Gonna try this some more to see were it goes.

Jeffrey

Didnt do anything special last week. Tested some 1 RM's and progressions for my next 8-12 weeks

Schedual will look like this:

Ma: Pull

Static - Back Lever

1. Pull up variation (3x5)

2. Row variation (3x5)

3. Biceps (3x5)

Di: Push

static - Planche

1. HSPU variation (3x5)

2. Dip variation (3x5)

3. Push-up variation (3x5)

4. Triceps (2x8-10)

Vr: Legs

Static: Handstand

1. Rehab fir the knee

2. Leg presses - DL's alternated

3. RDL - Bulgarian split squat alternated

4. Calves

Za: Push/Pull

Static Front Lever

1. Power Clean (3x3)

2. Multiplane Pull (5 Reps)

3. Multiplane Push (5 Reps)

4. Core

Critique is always welcome!