Need Advice Before Starting

Started by James Thompson 241504, October 31, 2016 · 1 Replies · 1,485 Views

James Thompson 241504

Hi All,

I recently shifted my exercise regiment (~9 months ago) to focus on strength and mobility, especially in my thoracic spine and shoulders. This was to help my posture, golf game and simply to look better. Somehow, in the process I injured my shoulder (scapular dyskinesis) and have been in a lot of pain for more than 5 months. I do PT two times/week and my PT and MD say that I can resume exercise, minus overhead weights, however I would greatly appreciate feedback from those that have done the program as to whether I should begin GB or if it might be too strenuous for someone recovering from a shoulder injury? Thanks in advance!

Everett Carroll

Hey James,

You can certainly begin the courses since you have the approval of your physicians. I recommend beginning with Fundamentals. Fundamentals is a month long, gentle introduction to GST. After that month, you are prepared to begin with Foundation One and Stretch, which begin to more seriously addressing basic strength, mobility, and flexibility. All of the courses begin with the most basic exercises so you will never be rushed into movements beyond your current ability level. Fundamentals and the thoracic bridge stretch series do include some basic overhead movement so omit those until your doctor has approved them.