Currently been training step 1 and I am finally starting to feel that pressing into and up through the floor Wes talks about.
Any help here?
I am trying to get a 6 second hold in this clip somewhere. Holding good form is hard!
Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Ryan Bailey, October 18, 2016 · 33 Replies · 738 Views
Currently been training step 1 and I am finally starting to feel that pressing into and up through the floor Wes talks about.
Any help here?
I am trying to get a 6 second hold in this clip somewhere. Holding good form is hard!
Thanks
HI Ryan the position at 11 seconds it is the standard you should aim for.
Thank you!
That was good to see. You can see when someone goes from just trying to hold a position to actively pressing into a position and looking strong at it. You now just have to work out what the 11 second mark felt like and stop yourself there!
Thanks Steven, I am trying.
Also, I have been diggin your videos and your progress... keep'em coming!
Update request: Elevated Planche Lean, step 1.
I wanted to see if this set up is ok.
Thanks!
Hi Ryan,
The setup looks good. Remember to only lean as far as you can while maintaining proper protraction through the shoulders.
Thanks Jeff!
Ya, I was wondering about height of feet and lean. Good points; much appreciated.
Hi, (SL PE6 - step 9 form check)
Do you mind giving some quick feedback on Elevated Planche Lean?
I've been training SL PE 5 and 6 for > 3 months and feel I am getting a bit stronger and wanted another look at form. Here is set 5 of step 9. (It is a hard position, and I feel this movement is important so I have been ok with staying in this final cycle that I've been in for a while.)
Thanks!
Hi Ryan,
You're doing a pretty good job. I would still like to see more protraction. By protracting the scapula, you are engaging all the muscles in your upper torso to, essentially, build a "shelf" of muscle that your body can lay on. Truth be told, protraction makes doing a planche lean SO much easier. This, in turn, will allow you to get a deeper lean.
As a side note, around 8 seconds into your video you pick up a small amount of lower back arch which you later correct. Be careful not to let your stomach sag towards the ground.
Hi Ryan,
I agree with what Jeffrey has said.
Sometimes it can help to have an external cue to get your body into the right positions. I like to think of pushing the floor away from me while drawing my chest towards the ceiling. There is some definite breaking at the hips which is leading to the slight arching in your back. Try thinking of locking your whole body together from your fingertips to your toes. I find this also helps me with my protraction.
Keep up the good work.
Thank you, the feedback is much appreciated! I took notes and practiced; any better?
I erased the duplicate video. please erase this post. Thank you.
Hi Ryan,
Your scapula protraction is looking better and I can see the effort that you are making in terms of locking your body together as a unit.
Now you just need to work on getting further forward.
Take your time remember " The slow way is the fast way" all your efforts at mastery at this level will pay off down the track.
Thank you so much for the feedback, it really helps. Over the past 3 months I have been trying to learn this position on my own through my own experience and researching of the forum. I gained a lot of endurance and learned a lot... but I think I f#%*ed up.
I started over at sPL-PE5 today.
Sorry, but I hope you don't mind if I ask more detailed questions that have been running through my mind regarding form in the planche lean position. I am finding out how important it is to harness strength in this position, how it carries over into other elements, and I want to do it right.
Here is the first picture of planche lean training today:
A.
(Picture a. is the strongest I can do with protracted form and lean in order to get in a working set)
This next pic is my max Range of Motion for the lean:
B.
(With this form in max lean, it appears the heals of the hand want to begin to get lighter, almost lift. However , it appears my scapula want to drift up a bit, not as rounded as the first picture.
(In my mind I am thinking "lean like Leigh", @Leigh Kettle) But am a LONG way away, and can see that I would need a lot more strength to hold this amount of forward lean.
So,
1) Is the form in position 1 acceptable and do I train this position all the way through the steps?
2) Are the hand positions correct? with comfortable, just outside the shoulder width, where it feels like you can maximize the scapular excursion; wrapping around the rib cage to fully protract?
3) Regarding planche leans, does the strength eventually build where you go farther and farther forward without loosing protraction? or, does the shoulder blades give a little the farther you go forward?
Sorry again for all the questions and hogging the form check space, but your feedback @Jeffrey Bittner, @Darin Phoenix, and @Alessandro Mainente have really helped with my notes during training.
Thanks again!
Hi Ryan,
We are always happy to help. You are asking fantastic questions that will help you become successful in your GST.
You form in your fist picture looks great. You are doing a nice job of both protracting the scapula as well as keeping PPT. Your hand position also looks good. You might consider turning the hands in slightly to about 45 degrees, however, if this is not comfortable on the wrists you are welcome to keep them turned out as they are in your photo. As you practice this exercise with this form, you will become stronger in this position. Only by using correct form can you strengthen the correct muscles to reach mastery on this exercise. It will take some time to feel completely comfortable in this position, but it is the only way you will be successful in your planche training.
Please let us know if you have any other questions as I am sure it will benefit the entire GB community.
You're doing a great job, keep at it!
Hi Ryan,
I agree with everything Jeffrey has said.
Keeping working the correct positions and the strength will follow. Always happy to help people who are dedicated to improving.
Keep up the good work.
Always remember to relax the feet, there is a general common tendency of using the insteps to increase the friction, let the anterior delt to work for you!
nice progress!
Sorry, I am really getting into this movement and I have specific questions about hand placement if you don't mind.
1) Hand position and grip:
A. I have narrowed my hands closer to shoulder width and I feel stronger into the lean.
Is this ok?
B. Hands are now closer to 45 degrees (instead of straight out) with majority of the weight supported by first 2 fingers (thumb and index) and some of the hand. I feel this getting stronger as I lean and the heels of the hand start to rise off the ground.
Is this ok? Or should all the weight be on the entire palms?
2) End of movement:should we be leaning with control and not stop as the body goes through the end of the lean? Or, do we stop at the end of the lean and push back to the start?
I know I need to continue with all the other good feedback you have given me so far; such as stronger protraction and making sure not to use the feet. I am taking it slow but wanted to get the hands right.
Thank you very much,
Ryan
Hi Ryan,
If you feel more stable with this new hand position, go for it. While hand position can effect how you feel, it is not essential to doing the exercise correctly. Focus more on the key points which are PPT, Protraction and proper amount of lean. As far as getting out of the exercise goes, if you would like, you may press back out.
Ah, got it, thank you very much! I see all sorts of different hand positions with people's planche lean and was very curious.
I think I will stop before the endpoint of the lean, progress the hold time, and press back to the start position like the video. To me it makes sense to comfortably test the end of the lean occasionally if it feels strong. I do not think this is a move to rush, but the training is seriously helping the depth and quality of PPP.
Thanks again, I think I am good for a while now with the questions. This will take some time to physically sink in...
It is important to not touch with triceps on teh upper body. I generally prefer to return to the starting position after the hold, this means to have to reserve of energy and that you are not training the isometric hold to failure.
19 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:It is important to not touch with triceps on teh upper body. I generally prefer to return to the starting position after the hold, this means to have to reserve of energy and that you are not training the isometric hold to failure.
Ah, very good. I did not think of that cue with the triceps. Thanks, appreciate it!
@Ryan Bailey Looking forward to seeing your next video!
On 2/10/2017 at 3:58 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:@Ryan Bailey Looking forward to seeing your next video!
Do you mind commenting on my pseudo planche pushup regarding the lean? As planche lean improves so is PPP. This is my current range comfortably during warm up and after foundation.
Is this the lean and depth we are looking for?
Thanks again! Planche lean video will be a while as I am building up conditioning in the position with all the good feedback,
Ryan