This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to improve dead-hang time?

Started by Suzanna McGee, October 17, 2016 · 60 Replies · 2,180 Views

James Coppola
1 hour ago, Christian Nogueira said:

That's Tommy Heslep, guy can close a Captain of Crush #4, which is world class.

Do you have a video of this?

Alessandro Mainente

Guys I do not understand why you are searching for secret or strategies..foundations 3-4 cover all the grip conditioning during the RC part. if you do it correctly you will develop the necessary grip strength. my brother it is actually working with the final element of F3 and he is struggling but improving with 30s of dead hang with one hand. I do not remember the last time I did one arm hang but I challenge him and i did almost 1 minute with right and 55-56 sec with the left.

Alexander Egebak

For a great deal of people doing deadhangs before F3-4 might prove advantageous, experiencing similar benefits as Suzanna is.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I don't think it needs to be so ideological. Just hang. Hang with different grips for different amounts of time. Grease the groove, etc. Furthermore, As @Alessandro Mainente said, F3 and F4 demonstrate a lot of really effective grip strengthening drills. Beyond that, a cursory google search brings a lot of other tips. Some of them are from a former GB student, 'he-who-must-not-be-named', who demonstrates different progressions, etc. But in short, just hang.

I'm pretty sure monkeys don't quantify how much time nor how intense their grip strengthening work is, they just do. 

Snorre Kiran

You use straps to lessen the load on the grip, not to strengthen it. And you use chalk too add friction to your grip, if anything using chalk in your grip strength training will increase your strength gains, because grip strength will be the limiting factor and not clammy hands. 

Randeep Walia

I haven't bought F3 or F4, but I feel like stronger grip strength would have helped tremendously with RC in F1 so I train it a every few days now.

Bas Albinus

@James Coppola you gotta cook 'em first - maybe that's what folks mean by "train smarter, not harder"?! 

Bas Albinus

Been experiencing a new sensation doing dead hangs.
I started doing them again as part of my shoulder rehab with my grip is still very weak and shoulders tight about 12weeks after slap lesion surgery.
Focusing on keeping the ribs in and down increased the stretch on my scaps and shoulder girdle immensely and absolutely trashes my grip!!!
It feels great to finally understand what I should've been doing all along and make sth "old" a new or different challenge.
In the past I was focusing on relaxing, "just hang" to stretch, while now actively pulling the ribs+abs in and down makes it feel like weighted mobility and significantly increases the stretch as well as strength part(grip) of the drill.  Learn sth new every day :)

Chris Umiastowski

Hey @Suzanna McGee I just finished reading your follow-up post about doing the hanging challenge and how it feels like your rows are easier now.  Where did you feel like you were getting stuck before?  I am curious if it's similar to my situation. I'm currently on 4x6 reps of ground rows and I'm ALMOST ready to move up a step, but on the 4th set usually the 5th and 6th rep I am not able to completely pull my body up to touch my shoulder to the rings.  

To break the plateau I've been adding extra sets and also adding some static holds at the TOP of the row, which is basically the opposite of doing a dead hang.  Maybe I should give the hangs a shot?

Would love any opinions on this ... and it will be a nice break from the chalk/ strap debate :)

 

Suzanna McGee

@Chris Umiastowski, I was not even thinking about "being stuck" on the rings before, when I started to do my little hanging challenge. I wanted (and still want and NEED) to improve my grip strength for my pole (something I started to learn, and I feel too heavy for my grip strength on that slippery surface). So all the grip training, I was doing for my pole. And then as I was doing my rings progressions, I noticed that I feel more powerful and stronger in that move too. It was just easier to pull up with a good control and good feeling/contraction on the top of the movement… I just newly started 4x12r on RC/PE2… haven't done this hanging challenge since my posting… but 2 weeks ago I started to do the CoC grippers training twice a week. Because, as you can see, I am still obsessed to get my grips stronger. I need to master a one-handed spin on that pole… (I know that from the Foundation point of view, it's probably too early to do anything one-handed hanging… so that's why I am focusing on the CoC gripers to get my grip stronger faster…)

The squeezing on the top (as you describe as opposite of the hanging) I think is a good thing. Feel and contract all those muscles. It's always a good thing. My hanging challenge was more of a accumulating the hanging time ()endurance and get my tissue/grips stronger that way. I wouldn't compare it to holding on the top of the movement. You get more TuT (time under the tension), which is a different stimulus, which may get you to break through the plateau. Curious how you feel if you try the hanging challenge as well. I will soon (in a few weeks) post my grip strength progress working with those CoC grippers  :-)