This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE11 (Russian dip) Form Check

Started by Petri Widsten, October 13, 2016 · 33 Replies · 538 Views

Petri Widsten

OK, thanks Alessandro. I'll nevertheless experiment with the positive phase to see whether I'm able to do it slowly.

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainente I've built up to 5x5 reps with the previous form and am now looking rebuild to 5x5 with the form demonstrated below where I have eliminated the initial leg kick during the roll phase to the bottom of the dip. Is this form ok for mastery of this element?

The other two videos demonstrate a L-Russian dip negative and an L-dip that I started training today to prepare for the next element (Russian L-Dip). Something I can do to improve them? Maybe do the L-dip with a more vertical body at the bottom? In addition to these exercises I finish my HBP training with 2x5 of PE6 with a 25 kg plate (full rom) so that the dip part of Russian dips becomes easy. The challenging part is the roll to the bottom of the dip.

 

Alessandro Mainente

IN order to check the form I actually need a front view of the execution.

The negative is definitely better than the L-dip where you tend to lose the parallel position of the lower limbs which differentiate these dips from a normal variation. the error it is to try to lean forward with elbows up while the primarily goal should be move down vertically with the elbows decreasing the height compared to the starting position.

Petri Widsten

Hi Alessandro 

My shoulders are higher than my elbows at the bottom support like you advised me before. I assume you wanted to check that from the front view. Are they fine then?

I'll try to lower the elbows gradually in the L-dips like you say. Thanks for the tip. I'll post a new video when they have improved.

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainentehere's the front view of form 5 as requested. In addition to training this I also started training as in form 4 (with leg involvement during the roll to the bottom of the dip) but with a weight vest. I started with +6kg for 5x3 reps. Once I'm at 5x5 again I'll up the weight. I'll probably stop at +10 kg for 5x5. By that time I'd expect form 5 with bodyweight to be fairly easy and hope to be ready for training Russian L-dips directly. If not, I might use band assistance to get started. I'd be interested to hear how others found the progression from regular Russian to Russian L-dips and any training tricks that haven't occurred to me.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Nice work finally.

Petri Widsten
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Nice work finally.

Thanks Alessandro. What do you think is the best way to prepare for the next element?

Alessandro Mainente

probably doing it ;-) the amount of pike compression plays a big role here, the more you can express an active compression without problem the more the russian dips on L variation will be easier.

Petri Widsten
8 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

probably doing it ;-) the amount of pike compression plays a big role here, the more you can express an active compression without problem the more the russian dips on L variation will be easier.

Cheers, Alessandro. Actually doing them for sure, assuming that one can do at least one decent rep to begin with. Usually once you are able to do a rep you can quickly build up the capacity to do sets but it can take a long time to get to that single rep. I'll work to increase my strength in the bottom part of regular Russians and L compression separately before moving on to the L variant.