This element is now my main focus on the HBP series so I'd like a baseline form and tempo check. I'm up to 5 x 2-3 with this form where I depress my scapula at the start.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Petri Widsten, October 13, 2016 · 33 Replies · 538 Views
This element is now my main focus on the HBP series so I'd like a baseline form and tempo check. I'm up to 5 x 2-3 with this form where I depress my scapula at the start.
Hi Petri I usually prefer that the upper arm support it is achieved immediately and not by slowly moving the shoulder a bit in the time. Can you post a video with a front view?
Hi Alessandro
Sure, going straight down is actually easier. I'll shoot a front view video this weekend. Any other advise for that session?
When you are coming up you can clearly see a little bouncing, no bouncing makes a good difference.
2 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:When you are coming up you can clearly see a little bouncing, no bouncing makes a good difference.
Cheers. I'll be looking to reduce it gradually as I get better.
Hi @Alessandro Mainente
A quicker descent and a front view as you requested. In the first rep of the front view I forgot to depress.
They are not bad but I prefer that the bottom part are locked higher than your execution (this is for shoulder injuries prevention).
look at the 3rd reps especially
Thanks for the advise, @Alessandro Mainente. By "locked higher", do you mean that my shoulders should be higher (= more depression) or that the bars should be closer to my armpits?
Is it possible to do the positive part slowly to build strength? Can you offer some advice on how to train this element to best develop transition strength for slow bar and ring muscle-ups? I'll work towards eliminating leg movement but what else could I do?
yes depression it is the key for injury prevention, you should have already locked the movement before hitting the bars.
For the muscle up purpose I would cover the discussion in the appropriate private sub forum section of rings one.
I see, I'll do that from now on. Thank you.
I was looking for a link to purchase Rings One (and H2) but couldn't find any. How do you buy them?
I was thinking of starting R1 after finishing F2 for HBP and RC. There are some ring elements in the remaining exercises anyway.
Yes after completing F2 the rings one will be available.
@Alessandro Mainente
How's this re hitting the bars with locked depression ? Third rep was a bit unbalanced.
IN your version there is not effective depression, in fact in the bottom position your shoulders are at the same level of the elbows. in an ideal perspective the elbows must be lower than shoulders. also please notice at 12 seconds how your are doing the ascent: it is asymmetric.
Thanks Alessandro, I'll do my best to increase the depression befire hitting the bars. It's easier to do that when you have something to push against than in the air but probably just a matter of practice. Yes, the third rep at 12s was the unbalanced rep I mentioned.
It's more than just scap depression, compare your position at 19s to the demo video posted above at 23s.
6 hours ago, Cole Dano said:It's more than just scap depression, compare your position at 19s to the demo video posted above at 23s.
So basically I should have my shoulders higher relative to elbows at the bottom. Is that what you mean, Cole?
Or if you mean the top position (19s in my video), the demo shows the L-sit variant while I'm still training the regular Russian dip.
The elbows at the bottom must be lower than shoulders. the elbows/shoulders positioning does not change with L-variation.
Petri, you will find some useful illustrations by Alessandro in this thread:
4 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:Petri, you will find some useful illustrations by Alessandro in this thread:
Yes, that's the form I was going to achieve in my next workout (nice illustration). In addition to depression I'll need to angle my upper arms up, maybe by pulling on the bars during the descent. We'll see how that goes.
@Alessandro Mainente@Cole Dano
OK, my shoulders are now higher. They're a bit harder this way so I had to cut the reps of my work sets from 4 to 2.
I like it, you got my idea!
@Alessandro Mainente Today I reached 5 x 4 with the previous form which means 5 x 5 is just around the corner. When I'm able to do 5 x 5 easily I'll focus on eliminating all leg movement. Once I've achieved that, I'd like to learn the "slow" Russian dip. My question to you is: how long is the transition from upper arm support to the bottom of the dip in a slow rep? Is it something that potentially takes a few seconds?
I've searched for videos but typically when you search for "Russian dip" you find folks doing elbow/forearm dips and I haven't found a single one showing a true slow Russian dip. Any chance of you (or anyone else) posting such a video here for inspiration/reference?
Nope Petri, if you look at the previous answers and to the L-russian dips you will notice how long it is the movement (tempo), take it as a reference.
6 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:Nope Petri, if you look at the previous answers and to the L-russian dips you will notice how long it is the movement (tempo), take it as a reference.
Hey Alessandro
Are you saying it is pointless to try to go slower than this standard pace? That it will not develop more strength?
You will notice that when you move to the L-russian dips you have to move backward while trying to stay with upper body vertical as much as possible, the more you stay vertical the more you need to control the descent in order to avoid excessive falls.