This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Xiaopengs

Started by Justin Rovtar, October 10, 2016 · 78 Replies · 3,792 Views

Bas Albinus
2 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Edit: Mastery is at least 5lbs. with minimal torso twisting and the arm close to straight up and down throughout the entire motion. 

@Daniel Taylor-Shaut  Sounds good. To me one detail stuck out in this thread> Coach said sth about trying to get as much rotation as possible done while your arm is straight up by your ear.
Been working on this since and it became a totally new challenge!!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
10 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

@Daniel Taylor-Shaut  Sounds good. To me one detail stuck out in this thread> Coach said sth about trying to get as much rotation as possible done while your arm is straight up by your ear.
Been working on this since and it became a totally new challenge!!

 

True. But I wasn't speaking to that point. The additional info about rotation is quite helpful, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. At least, not at the outset for most people who may have a hard enough time keeping their arm straight up and down. I just think that keeping it simple is usually the easiest way for the most number of people to not get muddled in the details. The GB team, I think, realized this too and is in part what led to a lot of the updates. Not trying to say that debate and inquiry is bad, but when it is overly so I think it can often start to miss the point: get out there, train intelligently, and move on. 

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

True. But I wasn't speaking to that point. The additional info about rotation is quite helpful, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. At least, not at the outset for most people who may have a hard enough time keeping their arm straight up and down. I just think that keeping it simple is usually the easiest way for the most number of people to not get muddled in the details. The GB team, I think, realized this too and is in part what led to a lot of the updates. Not trying to say that debate and inquiry is bad, but when it is overly so I think it can often start to miss the point: get out there, train intelligently, and move on. 

Well, I think it all started when my "basic" Xiaopeng version was pretty ok, and Coach suggested a few ideas how to make this move more advanced… which I truly appreciate, because it gives me the visual what is possible and where I want to be when I practice. For me, rather than being content with the ordinary, I can now keep working on the extraordinary and see what is possible.

You are right about that it is good to keeping it simple and do the work to master the basics first... but I also think that all the people debating the details in this thread kind of got the basic version down and now want to figure out the next step… which is great too :)

Steven Gilmore

Agree with Suzanna here. Daniel I see what you mean, some people might get tied up in a knot about technique, but GB is all about correct form. You think you're doing something right, you post a video, and get feedback on ways to do it better. I posted a xiaopeng video early in my 'gymnastic career' and it was terrible. Now I feel like I and Suzanne are doing it like the instructional video. To be told there's no extension at all happening there then becomes frustrating as none of us want to be doing these techniques ineffectively. 

I've now dropped my weight right down to almost nothing, slowed the movement down and am trying to get it spot on. Good luck everyone! I love it!