Sitting and Standing

Started by Andrew Wilson 226962, October 10, 2016 · 4 Replies · 1,864 Views

Andrew Wilson 226962

Hi friends: this may sound like a silly request, but could you tell me the right way to sit and stand? Working on my mobility has made me much more aware of all my bodily postures. I work at a standing desk but am not sure if I should be tilting my pelvis a certain way, feet together or apart, shoulder position etc. Likewise I try not to sit too much, but when I do, what's ideal? I'd be really grateful for short videos or photos--I get it much better by seeing than by reading explanations.

Thanks so much!

Everett Carroll

Hi Andrew,

Like you said, avoiding sitting for too long is ideal. I say avoid slouching forward and take regular breaks when you have to be confined to a chair. The best option is probably to get a standing desk. I have even seen some diehards turn treadmills into standing desks and alternate between standing and walking. 

Mark Collins

There is a lot of argument about what is correct posture. I am of the opinion that you should not be too worried about the perfect posture, but yiu should be constantly moving in a variety of positions. Even if you sat or stood in the ideal posture for hours without moving it would be bad for the body.

Luka Kopusar

its not about sitting or standing, its about not moving enough. Standing is a still position and has its toll on the body if its too long, just like with sitting. Make sure to switch between the two. Dont know about the treadmill, i heard its not good, as the moving floor changes the whole walking sequence and you are not walking the way you should, from a biomechanic view of the body that is. 

Seth Richmond

After wrecking my back (compressed disc L4-L5) by sitting statically at an IT job for way too long, I completely agree with Everett, Mark, and Luka.  The biomechanist Katy Bowman has some really good content on how to add dynamic movement to your lifestyle.  Her stance is that the only bad position is a static one.  In simple terms, have a very dynamic work station that you can change quickly or have multiple stations you can rotate between easily (laptop).  Ideally you can rotate between standing, chair sitting, and floor sitting (cross legged, kneeling, 90/90, etc.).  I'm typing this while kneeling in front of my desk on a yoga block (another simple option).  While standing, pay attention to which side you naturally shift your weight and try to spend the same amount of time on both sides.  Good luck!