Sorry if this was done before, but yesterday I finally got H1 and was wondering how to schedule f1 and h1 together.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
f1/h1 scheduling
Started by Jesse Kim, October 10, 2016 · 26 Replies · 891 Views
Hi Jesse, how many days can you train in a week?
my best suggestion for 4 days it is as follow:
mon - upper body
tu - core + leg + handstand
wed -rest
thu - upper body
frid - core +leg + handstand
Is this the recommended format? What about for those who work out 3x a week? Should I jump rope/do cardio before or after? Sorry, Im just trying to get serious with f1/h1 because I was putting it on and off because I've been busy with "life" lately.
If you train 3x a week, you can create a devoted handstand day, or you can include Hs with your shorter workout. Or, in early stages, with each one if time permits.
If you are performing steady paced cardio such as jump rope or jogging, do it beforehand as part of the warmup. Higher intensity, like sprints or intervals, are best put afterwards or on a separate day.
Jesse, I'm not a coach or anything, but happy to share what has worked for me when I feel life is getting in the way -- keep it simple.
If you want to keep it to three days, do core+lower body one day (the lower body workout is short, so this isn't as daunting as it looks), upper body another and then have a handstand day.
If you can push it to four days, just add another handstand day -- that way you'd be hitting the general recommendation for getting started (hitting each workout once a week, with handstands twice)
Mon: Core + lower
Tues: Handstand
Wed: rest (or stretching day)
Thurs: Upper
Fri: handstand
As I say, I'm not a coach, but this works for me, and because each day is manageable it's been easy to make it a daily habit that I haven't skipped for months.
47 minutes ago, Lee Brown said:Jesse, I'm not a coach or anything, but happy to share what has worked for me when I feel life is getting in the way -- keep it simple.
If you want to keep it to three days, do core+lower body one day (the lower body workout is short, so this isn't as daunting as it looks), upper body another and then have a handstand day.
If you can push it to four days, just add another handstand day -- that way you'd be hitting the general recommendation for getting started (hitting each workout once a week, with handstands twice)
Mon: Core + lower
Tues: Handstand
Wed: rest (or stretching day)
Thurs: Upper
Fri: handstand
As I say, I'm not a coach, but this works for me, and because each day is manageable it's been easy to make it a daily habit that I haven't skipped for months.
for the vast majority of people the upper workout must be done at least 2 times in a week while the lower and core can be reduced to one session.
For me, I've been doing the recommended 4x a week for the foundation series, and it went pretty well, until life happened and I was forced to put training on hold until things smoothed out a bit. Due to the interface changes and there only being 3 things to do in upper body days (planche, hollowback press and rope climb) I'll try adding h1 on those days as well. If I can make my jump rope sessions more intense, can that be done after my workout?
So, a question that maybe fits here. I'm also doing F1/H1 I have time to do 4 days of the program so I can do the schedule @Alessandro Mainente Recommended. I also try to do the daily limber as often as possible. I've read that the stretch series should only be done once a week. Am I gonna be stretching my wrists too much with this combination? I feel like I want to stretch then all the time to get where I need to be but don't want to overdo it and not have them recover like they should. I don't have any soreness.
No Problem Malcolm the stretch series does not stretch seriously the wrists.
hi @Alessandro Mainente -
Can you expand on why the Upper Body workout should be done at least 2X/week, please ? Is it something to do with how the muscles of the arms adapt to stresses ? I had been doing this workout only once per week and Core twice.
Thanks for any insight.
cheers !
yes, the upper body covers the basic bent/straight arms pulling and pushing. One a week for people who are older compared to young usually it is to less , there should be a general time in between sessions, that is necessary to improve basic strength and work capacity. if not respected you cannot obtain the desired benefits and soon or after you will fall in stagnation or progress. Remember that when doing a pushup variation you are holding a tight body position so core it is working, same thing when doing rowing variation and again the same when doing planche variation. but we cannot say the same for core workout , specifically core on F1 does not train the bent arm/ pulling pushing variation or straight arm planche variation pattern.
for this reason with upper body we are strongly engaging the core,but with core we are not strongly engaging the upper body.
Hi Judith,
For beginners it is fine for the upper body to be trained once per week. And why the current primary workouts are broken out into Core, Lower & Upper to facilitate this.
However if your schedule and more importantly your recovery allows, you may train any of the primary workouts more than once per week.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks, @Coach Sommer and @Alessandro Mainente !
I'll keep those pointers in mind and practice.
cheers !
It's been a couple of weeks and sorry for bringing this up, but what if I had the upper body elements on Mon/Wed and lower body/core on Tue/Thur with friday, saturday and sunday as rest day?
Nothing wrong with that, it was my schedule for a long time.
On 10/13/2016 at 0:15 AM, Coach Sommer said:Hi Judith,
For beginners it is fine for the upper body to be trained once per week. And why the current primary workouts are broken out into Core, Lower & Upper to facilitate this.
However if your schedule and more importantly your recovery allows, you may train any of the primary workouts more than once per week.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Being an over-eager beginner, how would one know if one was compromising one's gains by over-doing it...?
I suppose the question really is, how do you know you are under-recovering before finding out by means of injury?
As stated before, an untrained people needs to train 6 times a week , same exercises all the day for one months or 2 in a row. said that it is easily to understand if you risk to be overtrained.
3 hours ago, David Tapson said:Being an over-eager beginner, how would one know if one was compromising one's gains by over-doing it...?
I suppose the question really is, how do you know you are under-recovering before finding out by means of injury?
If you're unable to finish a workout due to fatigue, and/or youre feeling some pain (assuming sleep and diet are in check), then it's safe to assume that you're over training a bit.
10 hours ago, David Tapson said:Being an over-eager beginner, how would one know if one was compromising one's gains by over-doing it...?
I suppose the question really is, how do you know you are under-recovering before finding out by means of injury?
Hi David,
Far too many students adjust their training from day to day. It is not enough to evaluate recovery based on one workout to the next. The vast majority of students fail to plan for accumulated systemic fatigue at the end of a week's full training. To take this into consideration, the chosen schedule must be followed meticulously for a minimum of 3 weeks to be effectively evaluated.
At the end of that 3 weeks, the schedule may either be adjusted upward or downward in frequency depending upon your evaluation of your individual recovery ability and your progress to date.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Hi,
People here are dividing their F1+H1 trainings between different days of the week (core vs upper body, F1 vs H1, etc). I've been doing F1 for couple of months now twice a week- 1st training on Monday morning, 2nd training on Thursday morning + some jogging/bicycling the other mornings and it works fine. While following the follow-along videos, one F1 training typically takes 35-40min (warm-up included). Why would you want to divide it into even smaller pieces (15-20min per training)? Recently I added Handstand1 into my schedule as well, which makes those 2 trainings littlebit longer, but not significantly ( I still manage in less than 50 minutes). Am I missing a point here why it's good to spread the load more evenly between the weekdays?
Thanks
Hey Janno,
Your schedule sounds perfectly fine as long as you are recovering well and making steady progress. Stick with the schedule you are on. The workout planner allows for more variability in how training load is spread out through the week so many different approaches are begin taken. Like Coach Sommer says earlier in this thread, each workout once per week, in any combination you choose is just fine for beginners. Over time, depending upon recovery abilties, more can be added.
On 10/10/2016 at 5:58 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:Hi Jesse, how many days can you train in a week?
my best suggestion for 4 days it is as follow:
mon - upper body
tu - core + leg + handstand
wed -rest
thu - upper body
frid - core +leg + handstand
So how would one best organize the stretch series in this schedule? On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? @Alessandro Mainente
This isn't the "best" way, Daniel, but you could try:
Tuesday- MS
Wednesday- FS
Friday- TB
On 4.11.2016 at 5:02 PM, Janno Rillo said:I've been doing F1 for couple of months now twice a week- 1st training on Monday morning, 2nd training on Thursday morning + some jogging/bicycling the other mornings and it works fine. While following the follow-along videos, one F1 training typically takes 35-40min (warm-up included). Why would you want to divide it into even smaller pieces (15-20min per training)? Recently I added Handstand1 into my schedule as well, which makes those 2 trainings littlebit longer, but not significantly ( I still manage in less than 50 minutes). Am I missing a point here why it's good to spread the load more evenly between the weekdays?
Thanks
Hi,
Ok, couple of months later I've started to understand the reasons for the split routine
I'm not able to do everything in one training anymore either, as the number of sets and reps has increased so much. Also some of the mobility exercises are taking more time. So, for the information for other newcomers who might have the same question that I had in November- wait a couple of months, and it will be clear to you![]()
If I can still ask, what do you guys usually do for your warm-up before your f1/h1 workouts? Because both courses emphasizes safe progressions, I was wondering if there is any bother doing any sort of "warm-up" beforehand. The only thing I can think of is jump roping at a steady pace for a couple of minutes. Any recommendations?