Getting Started...

Started by Emmanuel Debra, January 2, 2010 · 10 Replies · 3,616 Views

Emmanuel Debra

Hi everyone,

Coach Sommer, I have a few questions and need your input.

I just ordered and have received my rings, dvd and book.

My current equipment at home are:

1. body-solid dip station

2. Door gym for pullup/chinup

3. Rings

Due to the weather, I have installed the ring straps over the door bar for now. Later on to the park...

My goals are:

1. Flexibility

2. Strength - already read the advise on "Maximum strength not a panacea"... thanks.

3. Maintenance - See question below on this.

I am going by the sequence in your book, along with viewing the dvds for further details.

However I have the following questions:

1. For every exercise I do eg: back lever, where can I find the information on which muscles that are being worked or engaged so I can tighten those muscles more for better results? If there is any link to this information please let me know.

2. I have seen from the forum exercises - Collection of Coach Sommer Essays (excellent recommendation and fast process by Coach). However, which particular exercise(s), in addition to the back lever develops the latissimus dorsi really well?

3. What is a recommended daily maintenance IF I do not feel up to a full workout? Is this link appropriate?

viewtopic.php?t=351&highlight=#p1031

4. Any other recommendations?

I always wanted to do body weight training and I think this site provides more than what I have researched so far.

Thanks for this great resource.

Katawia

Emmanuel Debra

All,

I messed up on the link in my previous post:

For item 3:

3. What is a recommended daily maintenance IF I do not feel up to a full workout? Is this link appropriate?

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351&highlight=#p1031

Thanks,

Katawia

Emmanuel Debra
katawia said:
Hi everyone,

Coach Sommer, I have a few questions and need your input.

I just ordered and have received my rings, dvd and book.

My current equipment at home are:

1. body-solid dip station

2. Door gym for pullup/chinup

3. Rings

Due to the weather, I have installed the ring straps over the door bar for now. Later on to the park...

My goals are:

1. Flexibility

2. Strength - already read the advise on "Maximum strength not a panacea"... thanks.

3. Maintenance - See question below on this.

I am going by the sequence in your book, along with viewing the dvds for further details.

However I have the following questions:

1. For every exercise I do eg: back lever, where can I find the information on which muscles that are being worked or engaged so I can tighten those muscles more for better results? If there is any link to this information please let me know.

2. I have seen from the forum exercises - Collection of Coach Sommer Essays (excellent recommendation and fast process by Coach). However, which particular exercise(s), in addition to the back lever develops the latissimus dorsi really well?

3. What is a recommended daily maintenance IF I do not feel up to a full workout? Is this link appropriate?

viewtopic.php?t=351&highlight=#p1031

4. Any other recommendations?

I always wanted to do body weight training and I think this site provides more than what I have researched so far.

Thanks for this great resource.

Katawia

Hi,

Guess Coach Sommer is busy and therefore not replied.

Can anyone help with my questions above please?

Thanks,

Katawia

Blairbob

1. Dunno

2. Front Lever, straight arm horizontal fly's, assisted crosses

3. On the occasions that I am short for time, I try to get in a quick warmup and do one of the ring series or mainpage GB Wod's. If I know I only have so much energy, I may work on 4-5 rounds of FSP or 3-4 rounds of FBE only or may do one of the integrated 3 rounds of FSP+FBE workouts. Sometimes, I may simply try doing the warmup and play a bit, doing some pull and pushing work like HS wall runs and rope climbs/pullups. I may have to scale significantly back from what I'd normally do.

Emmanuel Debra
Blairbob said:
1. Dunno

2. Front Lever, straight arm horizontal fly's, assisted crosses

3. On the occasions that I am short for time, I try to get in a quick warmup and do one of the ring series or mainpage GB Wod's. If I know I only have so much energy, I may work on 4-5 rounds of FSP or 3-4 rounds of FBE only or may do one of the integrated 3 rounds of FSP+FBE workouts. Sometimes, I may simply try doing the warmup and play a bit, doing some pull and pushing work like HS wall runs and rope climbs/pullups. I may have to scale significantly back from what I'd normally do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Katawia

Cole Dano

For your question on what muscles are working, there are a number of yoga related books that show what muscles are being used. Though not the exact same movements as Gymnastics, there is crossover in many poses.

The best bools for what you are asking are http://www.bandhayoga.com/

Emmanuel Debra
Mr Brady said:
For your question on what muscles are working, there are a number of yoga related books that show what muscles are being used. Though not the exact same movements as Gymnastics, there is crossover in many poses.

The best bools for what you are asking are http://www.bandhayoga.com/

Great resource, however does it show the muscles engaged for every pose like this book does in the link below from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Anatomy-Leslie-Kaminoff/dp/0736062785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262580611&sr=8-1

I do have the book from the link above and it does show the muscles engaged when in a particular pose so I am able to focus on those muscle and squeeze really good... ouch... but will get the results I need :D . Just wanted to add more from gymnastic exercises. This way I know what I am doing and not just guessing which muscles are working or not.

By the way I'm using/adapting the breathing process in this book in my personal gymnastics training and it really does help me hold for a long time...like 15 to 20 secs in some initial holds like pullup and chinup holds at the top on a home gym bar. Just for today, I have been able to hold 12 secs for the first time on rings while I performed a dip similar to the one at the top on pg 27 of BtGB book. I found out that I'm only letting go because I'm new and my muscles are not that developed to hold longer. I am very happy with my progress.

As an aside a question to all:

How should one's shoulders/chest be when on rings?

Hunched with the chest in like in the picture, or try to get the chest out, shoulders back and down getting the scapulae together?

Thanks for the info.

Katawia

Blairbob

big open chest, shoulders back

Cole Dano
katawia said:

Great resource, however does it show the muscles engaged for every pose like this book does in the link below from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Anatomy-Leslie-Kaminoff/dp/0736062785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262580611&sr=8-1

I do have the book from the link above and it does show the muscles engaged when in a particular pose so I am able to focus on those muscle and squeeze really good... ouch... but will get the results I need :D . Just wanted to add more from gymnastic exercises. This way I know what I am doing and not just guessing which muscles are working or not.

The Bandha book is a little more comprehensive, but really, Kaminoff's book is enough. The truth is that knowing the muscles via pictures in books will only take you so far. Practice and time will answer many questions and my experience has been that those kind of books only make sense when you have some grasp of what you are working on.

In my classes i often use the example of lifting a spoon to ones mouth. I could tell you to contract your biceps, but that doesn't mean the spoon will get to your mouth. When you can get it there, then knowing the biceps are involved will give you sensitivity to tune the movement.

Emmanuel Debra
Blairbob said:
big open chest, shoulders back

Very crucial info for me.

I find myself a bit hunched so ... my next ring exercises will definitely take this into account.

Thanks,

Katawia

Emmanuel Debra
Mr Brady said:

The Bandha book is a little more comprehensive, but really, Kaminoff's book is enough. The truth is that knowing the muscles via pictures in books will only take you so far. Practice and time will answer many questions and my experience has been that those kind of books only make sense when you have some grasp of what you are working on.

In my classes i often use the example of lifting a spoon to ones mouth. I could tell you to contract your biceps, but that doesn't mean the spoon will get to your mouth. When you can get it there, then knowing the biceps are involved will give you sensitivity to tune the movement.

Understood...

I am lucky to have already taken classes in ashtanga yoga where the instructor was not only visual but emphasized the kind of muscles and joints to pay attention to while in a particular pose. So I'm using a previous expertise/knowledge transfer in this new area of my gymnastics.

I will check more on the Bhanda book and if it shows which muscles are being activated (in a static/stationary pose, not in motion) then I may invest in the book.

Cheers,

Katawia