I am on a day-on/day-off schedule with 5x5. So far I have completed 4 workouts, meaning I am already into my second week. I'm currently doing: Pull ups/HSPU and Dips/Rows, all weighted.
Here is my workout structure (pull up example):
1x5 BW + 12.5
1x5 BW + 25
5x5 BW + 35
I had a question on frequency. I'm training 5x5 on my heaviest weight, but the other two weights are pretty high up there. If you think in terms of added body weight:
12.5 + (145) = 157.5
25 + (145) = 170
35 + (145) = 180
This is way different than the actual 5x5 weightlifting program, in which if you could bench 200 it would go something like:
1x5 75
1x5 150
5x5 200
in which the max weight is no where close to the "warmup" weights.
It's almost as if I feel as though I am cheating the 5x5 program because 157.5 is almost 170 which is almost 180, so in essence I'm really doing 7 sets of my 5 rep max. This could or may not be a bad thing, since I might need more volume (3x5 seems way too light), but I'm just questioning the authenticity and already proven results of such a program, with 2 light warmups and heavy 5x5s.
Please also note that I stall (rep-pause) on the last few reps of the last few sets, so I know this is indeed my max weight.
I am still looking into static training as well. I have been screwing around on the rings but haven't put forth any serious effort yet, in fear of killing my gains and strength on the 5x5 exercises. I'm also worried that if I stop my 5x5 weighted bodyweight program I will not build as much mass (although I haven't seen any results yet after a week and a half anyway).
In any case, should I stop the weighted program and just work on statics? Or does doing statics prior really help the situation?
Thanks