Hello all,
I have been reading voraciously here for the past week or so. I'm in!
tl;dr is that I am a runner, 38 years old, 6'1", and I have had a variety of injuries over the last half-decade, mostly involving hip dysfunction.
[Long version: I was a runner; got hurt; had a hernia surgery, a shoulder surgery, and had the labrum on my left hip scoped due to FAI; got fat; lost over 100 lbs.; and started running again 5-6 years ago. In the interim, posture, injuries, and excess weight combined to alter my body's structure and my gait. I did lots of barefoot and minimalist-shoe running, lived and died on a foam roller, did every MobilityWOD I could, and started strength training. Things got better. However, I have wound up injured anytime I increase mileage for marathon training, and I often get injured even on 15 miles a week. Usually the problem is on the left side, ranging from a dysfunctional knee (the knee dives outward on every running stride and tries to on squats; I sometimes get a deep pain in the posterior of the joint, too) to hip flexor issues to glute pain to hamstring pulls. I have some limited ROM in my left ankle, which has been sprained severely twice (possibly broken once - I was in college and never saw a doc) and from which I had two large bone spurs removed five years ago.]
At any rate, I am looking to get started and am thinking, given my lack of experience and the assorted problems I have, that Fundamentals is the best way to clean up my body, posture, soft tissues, etc. I am open to other suggestions. I'm also thinking about where to go next. I enjoy strength training, having gravitated toward kettlebells and the work of Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline over time, and I would lean toward Foundations next, but my injuries and poor mobility have me thinking there may be other programs that would help more.
I will be getting started on Fundamentals by Monday, but since I may bundle a few programs, any ideas y'all can give me on the direction to go thereafter would be appreciated.