This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Frog stand mobility

Started by Marcus Patterson, September 27, 2016 · 17 Replies · 423 Views

Marcus Patterson

So today was my first day of the frog stand and mobility. The frog stand itself I don´t find too difiicult as I have practised it before and can jump straight into 4x18 without much trouble. 

However the mobility exercise was mental difficult ! I am wobbling all over the place and my hips are piking to try to make it easier. 

Seeing as there is no follow along mobility video, does anyone have any tips for this one?

 

thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Marcus,

Most people need to lean further forward than they think for this iM. It is a tough one and I definitely struggled upon reaching it.

Can you post a video?

Mats Trane

Like Everett says, practice leaning forward a lot. Try to get your hands down by your waist, point your fingers out to the side, now lean forward until you feel your lower body leave the floor.

Marcus Patterson

I will try film it day after tomorrow and post one up. I´m wobbling all over haha.

 

Re the actual Frog stand, are there any specific pointers that I should be looking for?

Martin Jones

I cannot see them while they are private.

Marcus Patterson
5 minutes ago, Martin Jones said:

I cannot see them while they are private.

Now?

Keegan Yentsch

List them as "unlisted," not "private." That way anyone with the link (which you are pasting into your post) can view them, but they cannot be found otherwise. As Private you have to give individual permission for others to see them.

Marcus Patterson

I have changed to unlisted, can you see them?

Keegan Yentsch

Yup, can see them now 

James Kerslake

I was the same, found the strength part ridiculously easy but couldn't even get into position for the mobility. Two things from my experience. 1) It takes familiarity and confidence to get into position, you tend to protect yourself and hold back and not let your body relax enough to get into the position to begin with. Video yourself and you will see where you're going wrong, ie shoulders not far forward enough, hands too far apart (have them relatively narrow by your side), hips not low enough, feet too pulled back etc) and just concentrate first on holding the position with correct form. Trying to do the hold with bad form wont get you anywhere and you wont progress. 2) The body adapts relatively quickly. As I said the first few attempts I couldn't even hold it for half a second. Once I concentrated on tidying up my form, it took about 2-3 weeks to get a solid hold for a few seconds. Within 2 more weeks I was holding for 5 seconds. Within a week more I had 7 seconds. Two weeks after that, out of nowhere I just held for 5x10s and repeated it the next workout so moved on.

 

The downside is the next one is even harder :-)

John Kiggundu
9 hours ago, James Kerslake said:

I was the same, found the strength part ridiculously easy but couldn't even get into position for the mobility. Two things from my experience. 1) It takes familiarity and confidence to get into position, you tend to protect yourself and hold back and not let your body relax enough to get into the position to begin with. Video yourself and you will see where you're going wrong, ie shoulders not far forward enough, hands too far apart (have them relatively narrow by your side), hips not low enough, feet too pulled back etc) and just concentrate first on holding the position with correct form. Trying to do the hold with bad form wont get you anywhere and you wont progress. 2) The body adapts relatively quickly. As I said the first few attempts I couldn't even hold it for half a second. Once I concentrated on tidying up my form, it took about 2-3 weeks to get a solid hold for a few seconds. Within 2 more weeks I was holding for 5 seconds. Within a week more I had 7 seconds. Two weeks after that, out of nowhere I just held for 5x10s and repeated it the next workout so moved on.

 

The downside is the next one is even harder :-)

@jameskerslake, thanks for this great insight.

Amy Van Beek

I was happy to see this thread today, because I've really been struggling with this.  As a woman, I'm finding the mobility for sPL/SE1>iM impossible, but frog stand is actually really easy for me.  I feel like I lack the upper body strength to achieve full body hovering off the ground. For those of you who've nailed this, how much of this progression is strength vs. balance?  And are there other GST ladies out there who've achieved this?

Alessandro Mainente

it is more a matter of strength for sure.

I'm a bit surprised about your performance, how is your progression on HBP? 

Amy Van Beek

I'm still on F1 progressions with HBP...I'm working through PE5.  I've had a old shoulder injury that I've been working through which has been slowing my progress a bit.   

Petri Widsten

I'd expect a strong HBP/PE3 with hands at hips to be a prerequisite for this element.

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

I'd expect a strong HBP/PE3 with hands at hips to be a prerequisite for this element.

EXactly as showed in the HBP course, thank you Petri.

Remember that at certain point all the courses merge to fill the gap in some progression, the ability to show filled gap reflects the correct execution and mastery of the previous exercise.