This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Roll Through's

Started by Riccardo Zanello, September 26, 2016 · 30 Replies · 1,099 Views

Pauline Taube

Keep us updated on your progress Chris :) 

Mikkel Ravn
On 3/3/2017 at 4:03 PM, Chris Umiastowski said:

This is super helpful advice.  I  did my first middle split workout yesterday (brutal !!) and I was struggling with the last movement as well.  I figured this might be the answer since it's better than collapsing like an idiot into a bad straddle. Glad to have it suggested as an answer.  In a few months I'm hoping I can do this!

Glad it helped! 

Chris Umiastowski

I've done the middle spit workout about 4 times now and my roll through movement is still poor, as expected, but I don't need a bench behind me anymore.  I just hold my best middle split at the top and push slightly back towards straddle. I think in another couple of months I'll be able to get into straddle from here.  I'm noticing most of the improvement in the pancake work with the walking from left to write, bouncing and then sweeping. It's hard as heck, but improving. 

Margaret Graham

After 5? months of fairly consistent work on middle split I was finally able to sit back into straddle and then more importantly push myself back up!!! These final ten reps always leave me sweating, they will be so much easier when it is an actual roll through.

John Kiggundu
On July 20, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Margaret Graham said:

After 5? months of fairly consistent work on middle split I was finally able to sit back into straddle and then more importantly push myself back up!!! These final ten reps always leave me sweating, they will be so much easier when it is an actual roll through.

Great work @Margaret Graham. After 2 1/2 years of doing MSS (albeit no where close to being consistent at it) I can finally say that I'm not far from being able to touch my head on the ground while in butterfly (with my spread legs parallel to the floor).

When I began MSS I was so tight in butterfly that I could not even move an inch. It took me close to 7-9 months to start seeing anything remotely close to being able to move 1-2 inches. 

One thing I have discovered is that if your butterfly is poor, then your pancake will also be poor; if your frog is poor, then your pancake roll throughs will also be poor.

Margaret Graham

I struggle with both frog and butterfly but more do to issues in my knees, bone spurs etc., than as an issue with my hips. I find the pancake work much easier than all the work with bent knee.