This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Roll Through's

Started by Riccardo Zanello, September 26, 2016 · 30 Replies · 1,099 Views

Riccardo Zanello

Hello,

The last exercise in the series is Roll Throughs (from straddle sit to prone position). 

This exercise asks for one to be able to roll his hips all the way from a straddle to forward.

I totally cannot roll my hips in such way, meaning, I cannot go from a straddle sit to a prone position, my hips are still too far back when I am sitting in straddle sit.

How can I scale the exercise? Just sit in straddle for time or what?

 

Thank you

 

RZ

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Riccardo, use a gymnastics/gym bench:

-reach the maximum middle split

-then move through this, forward and backward.

Riccardo Zanello

Thank you.

Got it

Andrew Mckeown
On 9/26/2016 at 10:36 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Riccardo, use a gymnastics/gym bench:

-reach the maximum middle split

-then move through this, forward and backward.

I'm having the same problem. Please explain in further detail or post a picture/video.

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Andrew,

The modification Alex is describing is demonstrated nicely in the technique tip video. 

Mikkel Ravn

Alternatively, start in the prone position, push back into the best middle split you can, and go as low as possible towards a sit. Stop just before you lose control and drop into the straddle sit, then push back forward into the prone position. This method requires no extra equipment. 

Michael Tolles

I have a strap attached to my stall bars. I get my stradle position and since I cannot push up to go forward I use the strap to pull myself up and over. I am then able to use my arms to push myself back to the stradle position. I don't know if this is best but it helps me through the exercise and I can complete the move. I have had some gains since I started not a lot any gain is great.

 

Andrew Mckeown
14 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Andrew,

The modification Alex is describing is demonstrated nicely in the technique tip video. 

Thanks so much! I can finally stop feeling bad for skipping this :)
 

Adam Kirby
On 11/8/2016 at 1:35 PM, Mikkel Ravn said:

Alternatively, start in the prone position, push back into the best middle split you can, and go as low as possible towards a sit. Stop just before you lose control and drop into the straddle sit, then push back forward into the prone position. This method requires no extra equipment. 

This is my preferred method and I feel it works far better for me than starting in the straddle.

Samin Ishtiaq

In the technique tip video, it says you can have a bench or cushions to sit on, for top straddle position. But I don't understand how you can start prone on the ground, and yet have the bench there too? Wouldn't your legs be where bench is supposed to be?

I like @Michael Tollessuggestion of using a strap to pull yourself up. I'll have to try this.

 

This exercise is *hard*. I promise, when I get this one, I'll join the circus!

Patrick O'Keefe

I'm having the same topic.  I might have missed the tips video but all I saw was the many video.  Where do I find the tips for this?

 

Thanks

Everett Carroll

Hey Patrick,

The technique tip video is found in your course library. This section is on your dashboard, below your available workouts. 

Samin Ishtiaq

Hi Patrick,

1. Start from https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/

2. At the bottom of the page, click the "Stretch" button.

3. At the bottom of the page, click the "Stretch Series - Middle Split" button.

4. At the bottom of the page, click the "Stretch Series - Middle Split" button. (Yes, same instruction again, but this is a different button!)

5. At the bottom of the page, is the "10r Pancake Roll Through" "Technique Tip & Scaling" video.

I wish there were direct links to these from the home page!

Scott Foreman

@Samin Ishtiaq thank you so much. I didn't even know those videos were there. Tremendously helpful. 

Samin Ishtiaq
On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, Samin Ishtiaq said:

In the technique tip video, it says you can have a bench or cushions to sit on, for top straddle position. But I don't understand how you can start prone on the ground, and yet have the bench there too? Wouldn't your legs be where bench is supposed to be?

 

Anyone want to answer where the bench goes so that your legs/feet don't hit it?

Suzanna McGee

Have it 90 degrees turned, short side under your booty, and behind you… 

Samin Ishtiaq
13 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Have it 90 degrees turned, short side under your booty, and behind you… 

But wouldn't your legs hit it when I close and straighten them?

I'm thick and not getting it. Could you do a video, please, Suzanna or Everett?

Mikkel Ravn
3 hours ago, Samin Ishtiaq said:

But wouldn't your legs hit it when I close and straighten them?

I'm thick and not getting it. Could you do a video, please, Suzanna or Everett?

I don't think straightening the legs completely is the main focus at this point. 

Suzanna McGee
On December 17, 2016 at 2:12 AM, Samin Ishtiaq said:

But wouldn't your legs hit it when I close and straighten them?

I'm thick and not getting it. Could you do a video, please, Suzanna or Everett?

I see what you mean… you can just roll through and it probably doesn't matter so much that you close them completely when on your stomach.

Everett Carroll
3 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

you can just roll through and it probably doesn't matter so much that you close them completely when on your stomach.

Exactly. The focus is on the roll through so don't worry if you don't fully pull got legs together for each rep right now. Having the bench there is more important.

Teasha Jackson

This is my 4th week and I did not know that there were tip videos for the stretches, brilliant!

Malcolm Watters
On 11/17/2016 at 2:25 PM, Adam Kirby said:

This is my preferred method and I feel it works far better for me than starting in the straddle.

This is what I've been doing also.  I've got s long way to go!!

Leo Trinidad

I have been doing elevated pancake and rocking back and forth. It really helps loosen up. :)

Graeme Wright
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Andrew,

The modification Alex is describing is demonstrated nicely in the technique tip video. 

I was looking for the same information and I (once again) didn't know this was there, so thank you!  Just a suggestion, but I know on the Foundation series workouts these videos are linked right in the Workout Details page so it would be great if the same could be applied to the Stretch series as well.

Chris Umiastowski
On 2016-11-08 at 2:35 PM, Mikkel Ravn said:

Alternatively, start in the prone position, push back into the best middle split you can, and go as low as possible towards a sit. Stop just before you lose control and drop into the straddle sit, then push back forward into the prone position. This method requires no extra equipment. 

This is super helpful advice.  I  did my first middle split workout yesterday (brutal !!) and I was struggling with the last movement as well.  I figured this might be the answer since it's better than collapsing like an idiot into a bad straddle. Glad to have it suggested as an answer.  In a few months I'm hoping I can do this!