Planche on floor or Parallettes

Started by Guest, December 30, 2009 · 3 Replies · 5,013 Views

Guest

What is the preferred method of performing planche progressions, on the floor or using Parallettes?

I find that Parallettes provide greater weight distribution making the hold easier.

I know some have issues performing planches on the floor due to wrist inflexibility/stability, however, that aside, which way is best?

If done on the floor, is there a preferred hand position?

Seiji

On the floor, the most popular is to have the hands facing backwards. However, that takes longer to train than hands facing forwards. It takes a good amount of wrist conditioning or a cheeky plan to have the hands facing forwards without pain. I started with my hands facing forwards, but now I have my hands out at 45 degrees. Some people (the best and most impressive way, i think) like to do them on the fingertips. It's completely opinion though, you can choose whatever you want. It's all the same thing, basically.

I don't see how paralletes would give you a better weight distribution... I'm not even sure of what that means. Most people use parallets because you can practice the progressions with push ups. Can't do that on the floor :D Another main reason is that it takes the strain off of the wrists compared to the floor workers.

Gregor
Seiji said:
On the floor, the most popular is to have the hands facing backwards. However, that takes longer to train than hands facing forwards.

This is not quite true... Depends on your muscular strength (for some is easier forward, for some backwards). For me is backward easy just because the lack of wrist flexibility.

Seiji said:
It takes a good amount of wrist conditioning or a cheeky plan to have the hands facing forwards without pain.

TRUE

On parallettes is easier due to better grip, so you don't need to push ground with so much stress down and forward.

Seiji

Well, I learned something new then :D

Glad I'm making my paralletes soon... even if I can't use them until my shoulder heals.

What is the correct spelling of paralletes btw?