This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout planning was F1's best feature

Started by Frank Sonnemans, September 20, 2016 · 29 Replies · 1,519 Views

Lee Brown
15 hours ago, Jeff Watkins said:

 I'm part of that 30% that needed the strict layout and complete structure

 

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here, Jeff - there’s no way the 30 percent who consistently trained under the old layout did it because they “needed the strict layout and complete structure.” They did it because there was work to be done, and they did the work. No excuses. Blaming the new interface is just an excuse like any other.

It’s not like in the olden days Coach decided what days you were working out and how much you were doing and then came round, shook you out of bed and stood over you while you worked. YOU decided how much work you wanted to do and what days you wanted to do it. Nothing’s changed. Decide right now what schedule you want — as you had to before — write it down, and then do it. Someone elsewhere on the forum showed how easy it is to do in seconds on a Post-It. Feel that you need to see your week ahead in more detail? First thing Monday grab a sheet of paper, click on each workout you’re planning to do and write down the sets and reps. Done in minutes, and easy to check off with a giant tick when done. Then when you’re doing the workouts, embrace how much easier the new interface is to navigate if you need to check on form videos or change your settings - and then obviously follow along to make sure you are REALLY doing the work the way you are supposed to be doing it. 

Like it or not, the interface has changed. But the work remains the same.

Samin Ishtiaq

I've planned and recorded my workouts for several years. Old GB, new GB; I don't care. I'll work with what the system is (seeing the green 100%s spread *was* encouraging, and so are the ticks). But I'll always still write it in my logbook.

Jeff Watkins
On 10/2/2016 at 11:04 AM, Lee Brown said:

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here, Jeff - there’s no way the 30 percent who consistently trained under the old layout did it because they “needed the strict layout and complete structure.” They did it because there was work to be done, and they did the work. No excuses. Blaming the new interface is just an excuse like any other.

It’s not like in the olden days Coach decided what days you were working out and how much you were doing and then came round, shook you out of bed and stood over you while you worked. YOU decided how much work you wanted to do and what days you wanted to do it. Nothing’s changed. Decide right now what schedule you want — as you had to before — write it down, and then do it. Someone elsewhere on the forum showed how easy it is to do in seconds on a Post-It. Feel that you need to see your week ahead in more detail? First thing Monday grab a sheet of paper, click on each workout you’re planning to do and write down the sets and reps. Done in minutes, and easy to check off with a giant tick when done. Then when you’re doing the workouts, embrace how much easier the new interface is to navigate if you need to check on form videos or change your settings - and then obviously follow along to make sure you are REALLY doing the work the way you are supposed to be doing it. 

Like it or not, the interface has changed. But the work remains the same.

Then we will have to respectfully disagree. An individual who is new to a system, and came to that system looking for instruction, performs better when he/she knows what to do. Successful athletes have successful programming. It is unreasonable to expect an individual who is new to basketball to know what drills to perform on what days. It is unreasonable to tell such an individual to simply go play and expect for him to make significant progress. New athletes need structure. I am new to GB, and I found the structure incredibly well laid-out. That is why after seeing it I bought F1-F4, HS, and Stretch series as soon as I was able.

In another thread, I suggested a way to check off how many times in the week we have done a particular workout, such as "Core." Not due to laziness, or wanting accolades or self-congratulations, but as a way to gauge where I am and where I need to be. But, just as you said, when I started to understand the changes, I got out my old schedule that I had printed off, and I'm working with the new system. After adjusting the workout settings when they became available and finding the old PE levels that I was at, I've found a balance.

And I'll repeat what I've said above lest anyone get the wrong idea: I trust Coach Sommer and will work with what has been presented--and that without complaint. It is understandable that the majority of people do not prefer strict guidelines nor to have the entire system laid before them--most people want the easy way. I wanted to pursue GB the correct way. In this and my prior post I've merely attempted to point out that the old system was initially more conducive to doing that. Since life is all about adapting, I am adapting.

Steven Gilmore
8 hours ago, Lee Brown said:

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here, Jeff - there’s no way the 30 percent who consistently trained under the old layout did it because they “needed the strict layout and complete structure.” They did it because there was work to be done, and they did the work. No excuses. Blaming the new interface is just an excuse like any other.

It’s not like in the olden days Coach decided what days you were working out and how much you were doing and then came round, shook you out of bed and stood over you while you worked. YOU decided how much work you wanted to do and what days you wanted to do it. Nothing’s changed. Decide right now what schedule you want — as you had to before — write it down, and then do it. Someone elsewhere on the forum showed how easy it is to do in seconds on a Post-It. Feel that you need to see your week ahead in more detail? First thing Monday grab a sheet of paper, click on each workout you’re planning to do and write down the sets and reps. Done in minutes, and easy to check off with a giant tick when done. Then when you’re doing the workouts, embrace how much easier the new interface is to navigate if you need to check on form videos or change your settings - and then obviously follow along to make sure you are REALLY doing the work the way you are supposed to be doing it. 

Like it or not, the interface has changed. But the work remains the same.

Lee you should be a coach. I was about to skip my work out for an episode of Days of our Lives but now I'm off to the gym. Thank you.

This is my high tech schedule, requiring very high tech programming. 

Suzanne, I agree clicking a smiley is not very satisfying. I suggest to the GB programmers when the 'easy' smiley is checked could it please play the National Anthem of the persons country.

 

Photo on 3-10-2016 at 10.55 am.jpg

Jeff Watkins

Let me break it down for Steve: To a new person, a plan in which one not only knows where he stands but where he's going is beneficial to some people. Others, who have been using the system so long that they don't even need to look at it probably wouldn't even notice a difference anyway. That was my entire point.

The reason I included more details is because thorough feedback is important to constant development and improvement--and typically producers of content value feedback.