Benefits to CrossFit Workout

Started by Steven Pitsos, September 9, 2016 · 2 Replies · 2,041 Views

Steven Pitsos

Hi everyone. So I just finished the Fundamentals and at a crossroads as of where to go next. I am what Coach would call,"stiff as concrete." Very strong (weight lifting), but very stiff. It is really hindering my athletic performance. I'm 24, and have a background of weightlifting and bodybuilding. I have very little when it comes to hip mobility and absolutlely no shoulder extension. I'm sure years of bench press with no stretching got me this way... Would I benefit most from doing the Fundamentals next or just skipping that and going to the stretch series? Where have you seen the most "bang for your buck" in gaining general mobility and core strength? I have been doing CrossFit for about a year now and I have reached out to GST training after I have hit a wall due to my lack of mobility, joint health, and core strength. 

 

Thanks

Jon Douglas

It's not a case of skipping Foundation for Stretch; they are intended to be trained concurrently, and in fact Stretch was created to supplement common mobility roadblocks in people taking on Foundation :)

F-series focuses on basic strength and mobility, more of an active flexibility focus, while stretch is.... exactly what it says on the tin and is intended to intensively open up those ROMs so that you can go on to build strength in them.

From the sounds of it Foundation is the next step for you; there are a lot of drills that cover a lot of ground. But if mobility /flexibility is your weakpoint, Stretch should certainly be second on that list :)

Mark Collins

Foundation, Handstand and stretch are great compliments for Crossfit. They will help with all the gymnastic strength. The other main benefit is that it helps to prevent injuries from all the other componenets of Crossfit training.