Help choosing programs

Started by William Lambeth, August 26, 2016 · 19 Replies · 3,605 Views

William Lambeth

Hello GST community.

I'm looking for some advice on the optimal training programs to start on my GST journey.

My current state:

42 year old male, fairly lean, no past gymnastic experience, poor flexibility, decent strength in the generic push/pull movements, weak core strength

Based on the above, which training programs would you suggest I begin and in what order?

 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

William

 

 

Tanya Hill

Hi William, 

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community. Your journey starts with the Fundamentals course. This course is designed to go through basic mobility. The exercises in this course are also a great way to start your day and get your body moving. Once you get into the Foundation One course, the Fundamentals is used by many athletes as warm up. 

You mentioned poor flexibility, which is quite common for all adults. Coach Sommer has put together a well balanced program of both strength and mobility. In addition to Fundamentals and Foundations the stretch courses are highly recommended to continue to do through out the week to make gains on mobility. 

We love questions, so let us know if we can assist you further. 

 

William Lambeth

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for the reply!

So for someone in their 40's, start with fundamentals and stretch and then move on to foundation? I would like to begin the handstand series as well. At what point should that be introduced?

 

Javier Richa

Hi, 

I am looking for some advice as to where to start on GB. 

I am 22 years old and have had lower back pain for a long time which as usual comes paired along with occasional neck pain. I have pretty bad lordosis. I work out and am quite active with rock climbing, and horse back riding. I started to do yoga to see if it would help with the back pain which really gets bad riding or after heavy workout. I'm ready to have a change just don't know where to start. I find it ridiculous to have such bad back pain this young, not that it is exceptable at any age.

I'm taking a break from weights and riding for 6 months so this is the ideal time for me to fix this. the climbing doesn't really cause any pain but if necessary I'll stop that as well. 

thanks

Tanya Hill

Hi William, 

The handstand course can be done simultaneously with the Foundation One and Stretch courses. Get through Fundamentals and then add in Foundation One and Handstand One. You can start the stretch courses right away. Definitely up your water intake when you begin the stretch courses, it will help you recover quickly. 

Tanya Hill

Hi Javier, 

You are definitely in the right place, many athletes have come to us with similar issues.

Same thing as I recommended for William as far as starting with the Fundamentals course first. This course will give you a general body assessment of where you are lacking mobility most. Great idea about taking time off weight training, spend some time building a solid foundation for your body and you will feel much better. With a lordosis curvature, core work is going to be essential for you. The Handstand One course has many drills that would benefit you as well. 

Fundamentals first, then Foundations, Handstand One and Stretch series can all be done together. Results show based on your commitment. 

Thrive for a healthy body and GB will take you there. Let us know if you have any further questions. 

William Lambeth

Sounds good! I'll be getting the bundle shortly.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Javier Richa

If I can only get one of the three right now which would you recommend? stretches seem to me what I should be focused on but i'm sure foundations includes this as well. 

thanks for the advice!

 

Everett Carroll

If you can only get 3 courses right now, I recommend Fundamentals, Foundation One, and the Stretch package. 

Javier Richa

thanks everett,

unfortunately i would need to choose for now between foundation one and stretch package... college life, you know. since my main priority is this back pain of mine, what might you recommend? I can probably get the other in a few months.

thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Javier, the problem is that back pain it is the last piece of the puzzle. it is a combination of weak muscle on one side and too strong on the other. the stronger must be stretched while the weak must me trained for strength training. For this reason your weak are is the core and probably tight posterior legs chain. I suggest front split course and foundations 1.

Everett Carroll

Go with Foundation One and also try to get an appointment with a physio to get a professional opinion regarding your back. 

Mark Collins

Foundation one has both strength and mobility so that would be my choice. It was the first program released so it is the priority.

Leo Trinidad

I completely agree with @Mark Collins, Foundation One

Javier Richa

thanks guys!

I just did my first middle split and F1 workouts!

I ended up with some pretty bad shoulder blade pain....just under the left blade! I guess I got a little too excited and pushed to hard.

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Javier,

You do not want to keep training through this pain. Rest until the pain is completely gone and if it persists, check with a physio. 

Javier Madrigal

I didn't want to open another thread with the same question so I apologize in advance if I shouldn't ask here. 

I'm ready to start my gymnastic training and was wondering if you could help me with the next two questions:

Should I purchase fundamentals and foundation first and then the stretch series or should I buy fundamentals first, and when I'm done with it, buy the foundation 1 and the stretch series? 

Also, is there any way to supplement training with the courses? I assume weightlifting is a no no but how about running, swimming, yoga, kettlebell swings, etc? 

 

Thanks in advance for replying too

Everett Carroll

Hi Javier,

Start with Fundamentals. This will allow you to learn the basics of GST while becoming aware of areas you need to work on. After that, proceed with Foundation One and the Stretch courses. You can also begin other courses like those in the skill package but, after Fundamentals, F1 and stretching should be your focus.

Before considering what else you should add into the curriculum, try making GST your focus for a while  and I can guarantee you won't regret it.

I hope this helps!

Javier Madrigal
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Javier,

Start with Fundamentals. This will allow you to learn the basics of GST while becoming aware of areas you need to work on. After that, proceed with Foundation One and the Stretch courses. You can also begin other courses like those in the skill package but, after Fundamentals, F1 and stretching should be your focus.

Before considering what else you should add into the curriculum, try making GST your focus for a while  and I can guarantee you won't regret it.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your response. I guess I should have asked before because I dropped 180 on a gym membership lol. 

I'll buy my fundamentals this week. Thanks 

Everett Carroll

No problem Javier.