Powerlifting and GST, Where to begin?

Started by Gunnar Bolf, August 24, 2016 · 3 Replies · 2,035 Views

Gunnar Bolf

Hey Gang,

After listening to Coach Sommer on the Tim Ferris podcast I immediately took interest. I have been training primarily power-lifting for the past few years. This includes hitting variations of the squat, bench, and deadlift 3 times a week (I compete in the USAPL 163 pound weight class for those wondering). Recently I have taken interest in body weight exercises that I started to incorporate into my regiment.

My question is which program would be best to begin with? I do not mind cutting back my current training, in the mood for change anyway. My gym has a climbing rope, rings, straight pull up bars, the cheap moveable pvc parallel bars, and dip bar amongst other powerlifting specific machines. as a baseline i can do about 15 strict pullups, 20 dips or so, a muscle-up on a pullup bar with poor poor form.

Thanks In Advance,

Gunnar

Tanya Hill

Hi Gunner, 

Thank you for listening in to the podcast. With what you mentioned as a baseline my recommendation is to start with the Foundation One course. This course will get you going right away with strength and mobility work. Foundations focuses on the seven strength skills of gymnastics, so working through all the building blocks is key.

Handstand One pairs nicely with Foundations and focuses heavily on shoulders and wrist, which will also help you gain strength in your false grip for muscle ups. 

We love questions, so let us know if we can further assist you. 

Gunnar Bolf
25 minutes ago, Tanya Hill said:

Hi Gunner, 

Thank you for listening in to the podcast. With what you mentioned as a baseline my recommendation is to start with the Foundation One course. This course will get you going right away with strength and mobility work. Foundations focuses on the seven strength skills of gymnastics, so working through all the building blocks is key.

Handstand One pairs nicely with Foundations and focuses heavily on shoulders and wrist, which will also help you gain strength in your false grip for muscle ups. 

We love questions, so let us know if we can further assist you. 

Thanks Tanya,

do either of these programs require equipment that I do not currently has access to? 

Everett Carroll

To begin Foundation 1, you will need Floor space, a light dumbbell, and a set of rings. 

Handstand 1 requires only a wall and a dowel with weight or a weighted bar (5-10lbs).