I've been using a training program which I like quite a bit. I do it 3 times a week for about 1 hour. Should I keep this up while starting the Fundamental course?
Thanks:
RM
Started by R Markowitz, August 22, 2016 · 4 Replies · 1,932 Views
I've been using a training program which I like quite a bit. I do it 3 times a week for about 1 hour. Should I keep this up while starting the Fundamental course?
Thanks:
RM
Yes, you can do both at the same time.
It depends. As you begin Foundations, it may test a mobility or smaller muscle deficit, so you may reach a limit seemingly before the larger muscles are tested, especially if you have a higher training age. When I first started Foundation, and was on F1 on all the elements, I could do a foundation workout and still have some energy left for some lifts that I had done regularly before. As I moved up in some of my elements, I could not do both; it was too taxing, and took up too much time. Also, I have not needed to do both, as seemingly everything gets tested, i.e. big and small muscles. Still, there are some favorites that you still do after Foundations, or perhaps some particulars for a specific sport, etc. I am thinking giving another go at Scottish Heavy Athletics, so I may be adding some power moves in somewhere. However, the body cannot do all things all the time time, so I always prioritize my Foundation work. If other training compromises it, I cut it out or greatly reduce it.
[Note: It was brought to my attention that the original question was about Fundamentals, not Foundation]
5 hours ago, Dustin Lord said:Yes, you can do both at the same time.
I just started Fundamentals today myself and had the same question. Is muscle soreness (DOMS) from weight lifting not a concern for fundamentals? Thanks!
1 hour ago, Phil Austin said:I just started Fundamentals today myself and had the same question. Is muscle soreness (DOMS) from weight lifting not a concern for fundamentals? Thanks!
At the level of the Fundamentals course, no. The course is as much of an assessment as anything, use it to evaluate what areas need work and what kind of changes you might want to make to your training in the future.