This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curls?

Started by Matt Karlin, August 22, 2016 · 28 Replies · 1,078 Views

Jon Douglas

I've expounded plenty. In one word; durability. Get amongst it and feel it for yourself :D make it a project and report back in 3 months your impression, perhaps :D 

6 hours ago, Carlo Romero said:

Jon, thank you for sharing your training schedule. What a glimpse into the future of training I hope to be doing (and most of all persevering in) the future! 

Very interesting to hear how you change up the weight depending on whether you want to slow down further for a deeper stretch. And it sounds like when you go has heavy as you can, you are breaking up the 10 reps across multiple sets if you need to given grip strength limits.

I don't want to get ahead of myself with F3 concepts when I am still a beginner at F1, but I must admit that I could use a nervous system "wake up" like you mentioned. Would you discourage deadlifts with a light weight/reasonable kettlebell for a warm up for someone at F1 level? Following Coach's advice, I have set aside all weighted training for this GST program.

No, I would leave the weights for legs until after F2 leg strength. More for mobility's sake than strength. Once in a while isn't goin to hurt if it's something you're craving, but it's simply premature till then.

If you can't complete F2 SLS, you will do more good addressing that first than adding different body mechanics to be practised with mobility that is not quite there.

Re the j-curls, if my forearms are having a rough day then yes sometimes I will break it up on heavy sets. Usually I foresee this and go a little lighter. It's the hang in the very bottom that is draining on grip, I think i let the bar roll down my fingers a little :S

Leo Trinidad

Thanks for sharing your program @Jon Douglas ;)

As for everyone, you guys really need to find out what works for you and by that I mean that you really do your Foundations. I have already reached up to 90% of my BW in JC but have never ever trained for it. Skipping an Element in the Foundations will surely haunt you in the near future so as early as now, you need to focus and pay attention to what your body needs. I have finished F2 SLS but am still working on F1 SLS as much as I can. 

I have set aside all weighted stuff when I was focusing on foundations but like everyone else, I can't fully stop from it. I "try" lifting stuff once in a blue moon just for the sake of testing my GST gains and I never go 100% on it. 

You will be surprised on the strength gains and appreciate Gymnastic Strength Training more if you set aside Weight Training. :) 

Carlo Romero

Thank you Jon and Leo, great to get your coaching and feedback. Good to hear what it is like "on the other side" of F1 to keep up the motivation and perseverance. Very cool to hear Leo that you aren't even practicing J curls but your other training keeps you on target to handle almost bodyweight.

Jon, I hope to report back to you in a few months on using J curls in my warm ups. I have already been enjoying some strange sounding pops and cracks in what seems to be the process of further smoothing out my alignment...!

Jon Douglas
5 hours ago, Carlo Romero said:

Thank you Jon and Leo, great to get your coaching and feedback. Good to hear what it is like "on the other side" of F1 to keep up the motivation and perseverance. Very cool to hear Leo that you aren't even practicing J curls but your other training keeps you on target to handle almost bodyweight.

Jon, I hope to report back to you in a few months on using J curls in my warm ups. I have already been enjoying some strange sounding pops and cracks in what seems to be the process of further smoothing out my alignment...!

Lookingforward to it :)