Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Gluten and Dairy Bad? Your Opinions...

35 minutes ago, James Coppola said:

One thing everyone should keep in mind is that 99% of the worlds population has been damaging their bodies since they were born. The only exception would be those who have lived in nature since they were born like the Khoisan of South Africa, Aboriginals of Australia, Indians of America and of course all the other tribes that exist in the world. If you have only started doing exercise and improving your diet at age 30 you need at the very least 30 years to get back to square 1 (you will see improvements a lot sooner but you probably won't be fully healed until you have done your time). Now this will vary from person to person but I would still say that you should aim to be exercising and dieting for as many years as you were not and then you can build upon that.

Do you have proof for any of this? specifically the 99% part?

5 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

The thing is that 99% of population doesn't even know how it feels to feel good… so the guidance "if it makes you feel like  sh*t, consume less of it" doesn't really work. Because they feel like it all the time, but don't even know it. The numbers speak for themselves, 36% of people are obese. The numbers are climbing. Heart disease, diabetes, cancers (all lifestyle connected) are killing people. This is not a quality life and happiness. They may think that they enjoy it and are happy at the moment of sucking in that meal or drink, but really? It is kind of like @Coach Sommer's idea of "Immature" athlete… they want the "happiness" right now, while they are actually losing the happiness in the future. Sick at 50. While they could be living healthy and quality life up to 100. I think that is more "mature" approach to life. I'll skip the pepperoni pizza :) 

I see where you're coming from...but i would suppose that this is largely an issue of quantity, not what types of particular food stuffs they did or did not consume.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

James Coppola
34 minutes ago, Sean Murphey said:

Do you have proof for any of this? specifically the 99% part?

I see where you're coming from...but i would suppose that this is largely an issue of quantity, not what types of particular food stuffs they did or did not consume.

No Sean, you are right I don't have any proof, it was merely a way to convey my point using exaggeration. That being said would you agree with me that there is a noticeable exercise and diet deficient in the general population?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
14 hours ago, James Coppola said:

No Sean, you are right I don't have any proof, it was merely a way to convey my point using exaggeration. That being said would you agree with me that there is a noticeable exercise and diet deficient in the general population?

I would say these are not issues of diet but more so of mental/emotional stress or anxiety. Also, 99% is a gross exaggeration. Obesity, while very high in the U.S. is at around 69% of the adult population (and that's a relatively liberal percentage if we're basing obesity on people's BMI). You could make an argument that those are food related, but that's not pertinent to the GB forums or worth indulging because it's beside the point. People work too much and have too much emotional stress. If you handle the basics of nutrition (i.e. GB Thrive), not "dieting" and you get your physical practice in (whatever it may be), then do whatever the hell else you want that makes you happy. 

As @Jeff Serven says, it's less about taking things out than it is about being sure that you have the right things being taken in. If you do everything right and want to keep eating your twinkie, fruit roll up, craft beer, a bowl of breakfast cereal, or whatever, I say live and let live. Life is too short not to eat all the bacon. 

• Upvote 1

James Coppola
3 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I would say these are not issues of diet but more so of mental/emotional stress or anxiety. Also, 99% is a gross exaggeration. Obesity, while very high in the U.S. is at around 69% of the adult population (and that's a fairly liberal percentage if we're basing obesity on people's BMI) You could make an argument that those are food related, but that's really not pertinent to the GB forums or worth indulging, because it's besides the point. People work too much and have too much emotional stress. If you handle the basics of nutrition (i.e. GB Thrive), not "dieting" and you get your physical practice in whatever it may be, then do whatever the hell makes you happy. 

As @Jeff Serven says, it's less about taking things out than it is about being sure that you have the right things being taken in. If you do everything right and want to keep eating your twinkie, fruit roll up, craft beer, bowl of breakfast cereal, or whatever, I say live and let live. Life is too short not to eat all the bacon. 

You do have some good points, and I have to keep reminding myself to say nutrition instead of diet. The word diet has such a negative connotation and I can understand why. At the end of the day I have my own views on food and as stated before I will never force them upon someone. Do what works for you and I will do what works for me:)  

• Upvote 1

James Coppola

I recently tried to eat Greek yogurt with live cultures after not eating it for a long time (I was curious to see what would happen). Shortly after mucus developed in the back of my throat and nose. This continued for a couple of hours. Today I didn't have any Greek yogurt and there was no mucus build up. I think it's safe to say that my body doesn't like Greek yogurt.   

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, James Coppola said:

I recently tried to eat Greek yogurt with live cultures after not eating it for a long time (I was curious to see what would happen). Shortly after mucus developed in the back of my throat and nose. This continued for a couple of hours. Today I didn't have any Greek yogurt and there was no mucus build up. I think it's safe to say that my body doesn't like Greek yogurt.   

I don't like greek yogurt, either, frankly. Have you tried full fat kefir, though?

James Coppola
2 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I don't like greek yogurt, either, frankly. Have you tried full fat kefir, though?

No, but I've heard good things about it.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
8 hours ago, James Coppola said:

No, but I've heard good things about it.

Give it a go. I'm fairly lactose intolerant myself (which is fine when I don't enjoy the occasional box of cereal or pizza), but I have kefir almost daily and I have zero problems with my skin, my gut, or mucus buildup. As @Jeff Serven makes clear though, don't get any of the lowfat flavored bullshit that many places sell. For me, in the US, it requires a little more digging but it's worthwhile to find it.

• Upvote 2

Best is to find kefir grains and make your own kefir from whole raw milk. Finding the milk is not too hard, but those grains are pretty hard to find unless online and they can be pretty expensive (you do keep them forever in theory) or not exactly what you need (different types for different drinks).

Leonhard Krahé
1 hour ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

As @Jeff Serven makes clear though, don't get any of the lowfat flavored bullshit that many places sell. For me, in the US, it requires a little more digging but it's worthwhile to find it.

Also, the full fat version tastes like a hundred thousand times better.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
William Marler

Sooooo much controversy. I think these discussions are great to raise an person's nutritional awareness and to plant ideas about dietary things to try and include/increase v. omit/decrease, but at the end of the day I think there's way too much variation between individuals for anyone to draw a conclusion based on discussion. You have to run personal experiments and come up with what works for you

It seems to me too that people tend to like to live by rules about whether something is "good" or "bad" without any gray area. That works great for things like "being shot in the head" (definitely bad), but it doesn't really work for foods. Foods are things where quantities matter. In the US kale has been a huge "superfood" lately, touted on talkshows and media outlets as "good for you," but a body cannot survive on just kale. if you're only eating kale, you're going to die of malnutrition after months of not making any progress on your GST... is that "good?" Of course not. But if you get some kale, and you replace a portion of refined carb with a portion of kale once a week ... that is almost certainly "good" for you. 

So whether dairy and wheat/gluten is "good" for you or "bad" for you -- only you can say, and you have to consider quantity. I would never say that drinking only milk, and eating only bread is "good for you." But neither would I say that avoiding milk and bread completely is "good for you" either. I personally have no negative reactions that I can discern from either food category. I typically get about 120g of protein / day from dairy, and 70-200g of carbs/day from things with gluten. But that's just me -- run your own experiments.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick question about an earlier post:

Hi @Suzanna McGee and @Niko Mailand, can you help me understand some things regarding raw vegan?

Are you able to utilize the nutritional benefits of mushrooms with raw vegan?

What about utilizing dehydrated herbs or other plant parts?

I sounded like a hippy with that question but what I am getting at is wondering if one needs to abstain from the natural supplemental, medicinal benefits of mushrooms, teas, or tinctures.

Thanks,

Ryan

25 minutes ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Hi @Suzanna McGee and @Niko Mailand, can you help me understand some things regarding raw vegan?

I sounded like a hippy with that question but what I am getting at is wondering if one needs to abstain from the natural supplemental, medicinal benefits of mushrooms, teas, or tinctures.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan, with my raw nutrition, I am not so "obsessed" about if anything cooked/non-raw sneaks into my diet. Such as herbs and similar… it's such small amounts anyway. I am very disciplined with not eating any animal products, but with the raw/not-raw I am not as strict… some super strict raw vegans make sure that even the spices and everything they dehydrate on low temperatures, so technically they are raw. I often buy spices, so I cannot be sure about the drying temperature, so it doesn't matter to me so much. But if I can, I buy sun-dried, or dehydrated spices, fruits, etc… Regarding the mushrooms, I cannot tell how well I utilize them. So far so good with my health. Just like carrots, they say you can utilize more when they are cooked. On the other side, when I make my carrot-apple-ginger juice, I use about 5 lbs carrots, so even if I utilize much less percentage-wise, the amounts of foods and nutrients will over-deliver :) 

Personally, I love the simplicity. Not too much meal preparation, and cleaning. Eating many healthy fruits. Sprouting my lentils doesn't take much effort/time, and preparing and eating them even less. I always feel light and clean. Even though I eat high volumes of food (3,000 calories approximately). Always having energy to train, and recover really well. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Thanks,

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

Like Suzanna, I'm also not "obsessed" with the cooked/non-raw part of my nutrition.

Like with all things, you have the "ideal" to strive for (which is 100% fully raw, fresh, organic, self-grown on your own piece of land), but when you can't have the ideal version of something, you just do your best. And, as with gymnastic bodies, consistency is more important than perfection.

Some raw vegans don't eat mushrooms at all, because they consider them fungi (thus not meant for eating). I do eat them and I can eat them both raw, dehydrated or very lightly baked on the outside.

Even carrots are regarded by some raw vegans as roots, which means that they are not meant for eating, except in emergencies. Instead, you should eat the leafy part of the carrot. They have a point, since the green part has 4x the nutritional value of the root (orange) part. The same goes for red beets.

I am not that strict. Personally, in terms of eating, I don't concern myself with nutritional value etc, since most of that are artificial definitions. There are thousands of important nutrients that are not even discovered or classified yet, so I'm not waiting for the scientists to catch up.

As long as it is an organic, fresh, non-cooked, non-heated plant/seed/nut, and I want to eat it, I will eat it. I avoid heated vegetables, but I'm not going to starve if I have no choice. I also do eat bread (spelt organic) a few days a week, so strictly speaking I am not 100% raw vegan.

I am very strict about not eating animal products (and wearing them for that matter). So you could say, I'm 100% vegan and 70% raw vegan.

The tip I can give someone regardless of his diet is that the more fresh produce you eat and the less processed the food is that you eat (and cooking is one of the heaviest forms of processing), the better, healthier and stronger you will feel.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
4 hours ago, Niko Mailand said:

Hello Ryan,

Like Suzanna, I'm also not "obsessed" with the cooked/non-raw part of my nutrition.

Like with all things, you have the "ideal" to strive for (which is 100% fully raw, fresh, organic, self-grown on your own piece of land), but when you can't have the ideal version of something, you just do your best. And, as with gymnastic bodies, consistency is more important than perfection.

Some raw vegans don't eat mushrooms at all, because they consider them fungi (thus not meant for eating). I do eat them and I can eat them both raw, dehydrated or very lightly baked on the outside.

Even carrots are regarded by some raw vegans as roots, which means that they are not meant for eating, except in emergencies. Instead, you should eat the leafy part of the carrot. They have a point, since the green part has 4x the nutritional value of the root (orange) part. The same goes for red beets.

I am not that strict. Personally, in terms of eating, I don't concern myself with nutritional value etc, since most of that are artificial definitions. There are thousands of important nutrients that are not even discovered or classified yet, so I'm not waiting for the scientists to catch up.

As long as it is an organic, fresh, non-cooked, non-heated plant/seed/nut, and I want to eat it, I will eat it. I avoid heated vegetables, but I'm not going to starve if I have no choice. I also do eat bread (spelt organic) a few days a week, so strictly speaking I am not 100% raw vegan.

I am very strict about not eating animal products (and wearing them for that matter). So you could say, I'm 100% vegan and 70% raw vegan.

The tip I can give someone regardless of his diet is that the more fresh produce you eat and the less processed the food is that you eat (and cooking is one of the heaviest forms of processing), the better, healthier and stronger you will feel.

Wait what's the rationale behind not eating mushrooms or carrots? They're bad for you? I'm confused...

3 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Wait what's the rationale behind not eating mushrooms or carrots? They're bad for you? I'm confused...

Please, do not be confused… there is no rationale behind it… some (hardcore, in whatever the belief is…) people think the fungi and roots should not be eaten. Keep eating them, they are healthy and delicious. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
9 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Please, do not be confused… there is no rationale behind it… some (hardcore, in whatever the belief is…) people think the fungi and roots should not be eaten. Keep eating them, they are healthy and delicious. 

Rightly so. Was pretty sure I had never read anything about them being bad. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
Bas Albinus
On 9/1/2016 at 9:17 PM, Niko Mailand said:

If you look at it that way, it makes lots of sense to look at what animals generally do, especially in terms of nutrition, because biologically we have lots of similarities. The mammals that have the closest resemblance to humans, like gorillas, chimpanzees, baboons, apes etc., ... They don't eat meat. 

Merely the idea of eating raw meat or raw blood, disgusts us and we can get very sick if we eat rotten meat. Also, any natural born hunter can kill its prey using just his own physical abilities. 

If you put a hungry toddler in a crib with a rabbit and an apple, he will eat the apple and play with the rabbit. Its instinct will not be to jump on the rabbit and tear it apart with its teeth and eating it raw.

Second, until recently science told us that humans can't survive in icewater longer than a few minutes. And that humans would die if they are exposed to extremely low temperatures. Wim Hof, also known as the Iceman, has made utter fools of these scientists, by climbing the Kilimanjaro in his underwear, accompanied by many people doing the same and taking icebaths with the same ease as taking a normal bath. Of course, now the scientists claim that it IS possible, while all the while they made Wim Hof ridiculous.

So don't trust information automatically just because it is presented as "science". Again think for yourself.

No offence, but let's agree to disagree! Some of your reasoning is simply wrong.
Whatever works for you or anybody is fine with me. As long as it doesn't hurt anybody else, everybody is free to do what makes him/her feel good, happy, healthy etc. 
I don't mean to judge dietary theories, lifestyles etc. BUT get the facts straight:
>Baboons, Chimps and several other ape species DO eat meat. They actually go out to hunt occasionally. 
>Mountain Gorillas eat predominately green plant parts, most of which is NOT good to eat for humans since we can't digest it.
>Eating raw meat or blood is a part of human culture. Some might find it disgusting, others won't. Masai drink cow blood mixed with milk. Native Americans would eat the raw heart of a hunted animal. Heard of carpaccio? A raw ground beef dish you'll find in upper class restaurants in the western world(as the name indicates it's traditionally italian). Boiled duck blood is a common dish in Asia.
>If you put a puppy and a rabbit together they would cuddle too. It's not the nature of any infant carnivore to kill. 
>Not just since Wim Hof came on the plan have the benefits of cold therapy been known to man. He definitely took it to another level. Nonetheless, ice baths, rolling naked in the snow etc. has been part of many sauna cultures like russian, scandinavian. Health benefits of cold showers and baths have been widely promoted since there was the option to chose a hot bath. Ice baths have been part of athletes recovery routine for decades.

>>> So don't trust information automatically just because it is presented as "science". Again think for yourself. >>>
That's where we definitely agree! ;)

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.