This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is it really possible to master HS/PE2 iM for normal people?

Started by Sergio Mgencasa, August 11, 2016 · 28 Replies · 1,109 Views

Sergio Mgencasa

Hello!

I feel kind of stuck... Five months fighting with this exercise, including it and reverse planche in every warm-up and only 5 cm improvement... is it normal?

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

How much time did you spend without working on posterior delt and middle traps? and how much time you did training without mobility? you need exactly this time to restore your mobility. for me? 4 years.

Sergio Mgencasa

"Only" 10 years!! :blink:

Bad news... 

Thank you Alessandro 

Artur Krajewski

I am on the same page Sergio, even longer. I can see progress but only from month to month, similar to what you described. So, probably this is the reality for "normal" people. 

For that exercise I made an exception and moved to strength elements PE3/PE4 while keeping PE2-iM for warmup and all sets. Also, Table Rocks in the warmup seems to help with a ROM a little bit.

Sergio Mgencasa
2 minutes ago, Artur Krajewski said:

I am on the same page Sergio, even longer. I can see progress but only from month to month, similar to what you described. So, probably this is the reality for "normal" people. 

For that exercise I made an exception and moved to strength elements PE3/PE4 while keeping PE2-iM for warmup and all sets. Also, Table Rocks in the warmup seems to help with a ROM a little bit.

Hello Artur, is that "allowed"?  I'm bored of doing PE3... 

Alessandro Mainente

If you have foundation 1-2 they have some very good exercises for tight chest.

Suzanna McGee

@Sergio Mgencasa I am very normal (a tight shoulder tennis player, haha) and I started this HS thingie last Thursday. My shoulders were so so tight. So what I did, during my regular weight workouts (non GST workouts), in between sets of whatever muscle group I was doing, I was doing the dislocates and HS/PE2 iM… it got better. I went through PE1—PE3 in a week, and today, I am really really working hard now, on PE4 :) This is going to be much slower process now… Maybe just include those mobility thingies any time, anywhere, little here and little there, so you shoulders don't have time to stiffen up. My shoulders are all freaked out  :-) but getting flexible  :-) 

Jon Douglas

Pretty normal here I think... :o

Stubborn, but normal?

Mikkel Ravn
7 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Sergio Mgencasa I am very normal (a tight shoulder tennis player, haha) and I started this HS thingie last Thursday. My shoulders were so so tight. So what I did, during my regular weight workouts (non GST workouts), in between sets of whatever muscle group I was doing, I was doing the dislocates and HS/PE2 iM… it got better. I went through PE1—PE3 in a week, and today, I am really really working hard now, on PE4 :) This is going to be much slower process now… Maybe just include those mobility thingies any time, anywhere, little here and little there, so you shoulders don't have time to stiffen up. My shoulders are all freaked out  :-) but getting flexible  :-) 

Good stuff, but take it slow with your dislocates - It's easy to overdo them. The shoulder must go from delicate to robust, and that process takes years - No way around it.

Artur Krajewski
14 hours ago, Sergio Mgencasa said:

Hello Artur, is that "allowed"?  I'm bored of doing PE3... 

No. Technically we are supposed to stay on same level (PE2 in this case) until both strengh and mobility are mastered. But the idea behind that rule is just to emphasise that mobility is equally important as strength. I still treat PE2-iM as priority but I cannot see how doing PE2 strength element over and over for months when they seem like childs play by now would benefit me.

Sergio Mgencasa
16 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

How much time did you spend without working on posterior delt and middle traps? and how much time you did training without mobility? you need exactly this time to restore your mobility. for me? 4 years.

So did you keep on HS/PE2 (head on the floor) for 4 years? I know the RIGHT answer but I also want to know if it's OK to "play" some day of the week with other progression...

Yes, I have F1 and working on iM exercises and repeat them in warm-ups. 

Thank you all!! This is a long journey

Alessandro Mainente

No but at least 8-9 months, meanwhile worked around this area in order to make the resistance of the anterior chain less then before. I prefer to use stretch series or foundations HBP exercises. on very tight people the following IM of H1 are not always a good solution. especially for who is tight on IM2 the dislocate appears extremely asymmetric and this is not what we want from  a dislocate.

Sergio Mgencasa

Ok, I'll add some iMs from F1.

Thank you again Alessandro! Golden information!

Toni Laukkavaara

Reading this thread makes me so glad i wasn't the average gym goer. I really feel for some of you guys :( 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

@Sergio Mgencasa check out the Front Lever ims, and the Hollow Back Press ims. They really target the shoulder, biceps, chest, and upper back (all areas that kick my ass if I fall off the GB wagon).

Suzanna McGee
20 hours ago, Mikkel Ravn said:

Good stuff, but take it slow with your dislocates - It's easy to overdo them. The shoulder must go from delicate to robust, and that process takes years - No way around it.

@Mikkel Ravn Thanks for your tip. I do have a tendency to overdo things. (On the other side—the positive side—over the years, I have conditioned my body to handle high volume work, so I get away with it). I take a note though that it is different with flexibility of the shoulders, and I will listen to my body and occasionally slow down. I will keep your words in my mind, and will be patient. 

Sergio Mgencasa

Thank you@Daniel Taylor-Shaut!

I'm already doing reverse plaches but I'll try some more HBP iM I'm not doing yet.

Thank you!!

Mikkel Ravn
9 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Mikkel Ravn Thanks for your tip. I do have a tendency to overdo things. (On the other side—the positive side—over the years, I have conditioned my body to handle high volume work, so I get away with it). I take a note though that it is different with flexibility of the shoulders, and I will listen to my body and occasionally slow down. I will keep your words in my mind, and will be patient. 

Enthusiasm is a double edged sword, isn't it? :-)

Writing this, as I massage my brachioradialis, due to going a bit nuts in my bouldering training... 

Randall Osborne
On 8/12/2016 at 6:50 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

No but at least 8-9 months, meanwhile worked around this area in order to make the resistance of the anterior chain less then before. I prefer to use stretch series or foundations HBP exercises. on very tight people the following IM of H1 are not always a good solution. especially for who is tight on IM2 the dislocate appears extremely asymmetric and this is not what we want from  a dislocate.

I don't know if this will get noticed buried in this thread-but this is an interesting point.  Can you give any detail?

Tanya Hill

Alessandro has words of wisdom.  I do like what he said about working through the stretch series for very tight people. Mobility needs time and dedication and consistency. 

Leo Trinidad

It is true that mobility takes time, dedication and consistency just as Tanya and Alessandro said. In my experience, i was doing a lot of warmup before doing my GST program for everyday for 2 years and since it was warmup, i didn't realize that time went by so fast. That really helped me with my mobility and flexibility. :) 

Felix Schreiter

I personally was very tight on this exercise in the beginning and it improved tremendously over the about 2 years that I am doing Foundations now. Instead of thinking of it as a fight to mastery embrace that this exercise will stay in your training routine possibly for years. Even after I mastered it at the bare minimum I found it tremendously beneficial to keep in my warm up. 

Be proud that you put in 5 months of solid work! It will keep improving. I personally found the Thoracic bridge series a great addition to Handstand mobility to speed up the progress. 

Sergio Mgencasa

Very illuminating guys!

I even like it, LOL. Any aproach to set it in every warm-up? I'm doing ten reps and then hold 15 to 20 seconds and trying to win cm every week.

Thank you!!

Leo Trinidad

You guys should attend a GymnasticBodies Seminar. When I attended my first GB Seminar in Singapore, I took down notes and applied what I have learned. After the seminar I did the the warm up everyday for 2 years. For me, the warm up is the most important thing. :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
4 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

You guys should attend a GymnasticBodies Seminar. When I attended my first GB Seminar in Singapore, I took down notes and applied what I have learned. After the seminar I did the the warm up everyday for 2 years. For me, the warm up is the most important thing. :)

 

Would if I could. It's on my to-do list once I make some money. Still enjoying funemployment these days.