I have a question, when I try to do reverse leg lifts against the wall in a handstand, I find I can't do them without my head being pressed against the wall...
What can I do to help correct this so that I can take my wall out of the equation?
Started by erikmckinley, December 12, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,305 Views
I have a question, when I try to do reverse leg lifts against the wall in a handstand, I find I can't do them without my head being pressed against the wall...
What can I do to help correct this so that I can take my wall out of the equation?
Are you unable to lift your legs or do you just fall out of it?
When you do it with your head and back to the wall, the wall takes some of the load off.
You could try it in a tuck or straddle position instead of pike or perhaps partial ROM. From toes against the wall to just horizontal, for example.
I press my back into the wall, and I try to lift my legs and straighten my body.
I tried straddle form, and I still can't get it.
If I press my head into the wall, I guess it gives me a better base for lifting... but it hurts my head.
Could it be my shoulders are too weak?
Can you get into the HeS against the wall? I cue my kids to place their head where the wall meets the floor.
Use a pillow or rolled up towel for your head if you want.
Maybe simply work the negative RLL.
About doing RLL in HS against the wall, I used to have the same problem as you at first. What I did to avoid my head pressing the wall is doing it first with legs tucked, so I can concentrate on having almost all my back in contact with the wall while the legs descent, then a bit of the back loses contact with the wall, and lift up again. After getting the propper feeling, it was easier to do with correct form in straddle and pike. Hope it helps : )