Strange Pain in Lower Back

Started by MB4, December 11, 2009 · 6 Replies · 2,384 Views

MB4

The best way I can describe this is like a stinging, shooting pain in my lower back. I get it when I do Back Levers, Front Levers, L-sits...pretty much a lot of core static holds (even some dynamic moves). Has anyone ever gotten this, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

It's not that terrible yet, but I don't want to blow my back out. I can work through it. I had one idea yesterday, that it was because of me weak obliques, so my lower back had to take a majority of the core work...but again, that was just an idea.

Blairbob

methinks your lower back is weak? or perhaps weaker than your abdominal area?

MB4

I can do a deadlift of over 150 lbs, isn't a deadlift for the lower back? But I think you may be right, again, because I spent 2 years in the gym working my abs. The result? A six-pack with no lower back strength.

So just keep working on lower back and ignore it till it goes away?

Coach Sommer

Your lower back is currently not strong enough to handle the strain which you are imposing upon it.

My recommendation is two fold:

1) Focus on strengthening your lower back with arch-up variations and RLL variations.

2) Scale back your BL & FL work to easier variations that do not excessively strain your lower back.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Sorry, friend. A 150lb DL is not very impressive. I weigh around 170 now and DL over 400 on a maintenance DL program (1x a week if that).

A BW DL is merely an novice level DL. 1.5xBW is getting there and 2xBW is good, whereas 2.5 and 3xBW are very good to excellent.

Work on the lower back core progressions that Coach Sommer just stated such as arch-ups (back extensions), horizontal reverse leg lifts (reverse hypers) and so forth.

Try and figure out which progression you can now currently do and add those to your program.

What level of FL and BL have you been attempting?

MB4

Well technically it's a little above bodyweight :D Seriously though, I thought I was the man in the gym when I got to a 75 kilo DL (so around 150-160 lbs, I weigh 140 lbs).

I do the easiest variations of FL and BL, so both with hips parallel to floor but back hunched.

If it helps, the pain went away a little on the last workout, and reappeared towards the end when I was doing L-Sit variations. But I'll incorporate lower back work into the program. Substitute hanging leg lifts? Or just throw it in 2 times a week?

Thanks

Blairbob

Throw it in 2x/week unless it's too much volume.

Perhaps the L-sits with the other levers is too much volume.