I've been doing Gymnastic Strength Training™ for 3 workouts now, after picking up on Coach Sommer's book. I've been fascinated by the fact that bodyweight training can be better than weight traning. The only pieces of equipment I own is a pull-up bar and push up stands, and I use chairs for dips. But I've had a few problems that I hope you guys here can answer:
1) I've been following Killroy70's workout split these 3 days, and have been wiped out after each go. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a 4 day split with planche, Front Lever, Back Lever, and Handstand work each day with push, pull, dips, curl and multi-plane pressing/pulling variations. Is this too much for a beginner. It takes me well over an hour to finish. Is this type of workout too much for a beginner? If so, what type of program should I follow (a precise split would be very appreciated, because I'm scared of making my own routine. It's not "paralysis for perfection", but if I'm taking time to do this, I want to be sure I'm doing it right.
2) When should I progress to more advanced static hold progressions? I can't hold a frog stand for 60 seconds, but I can do an advanced frog stand for 6 seconds. Is it time to move to a different variation?
3) I'm mainly interested in strength, because I've been weight lifting for 2 years without any major strength gains. But hypertrophy is also something I want to achieve. Will 5x5 for the push/pull moves (the non-static moves) be enough? I know all about caloric excess, don't worry.
4) How much Handstand work should I be doing? 60 second wall-handstands, just like other static holds?
The last question might be off topic, but I can't do a headstand push up, even with wall assistance (this might be because of my emphasis on "beach muscles" in the gym, so my shoulders are VERY underdeveloped). How do you guys get your feet up for the box HeSPU? How do you know how high the box should be?
Hope you guys can guide me a little, excellent forums by the way, goldmine ![]()
MB4