I'm having lots of difficulty with this. I couldn't do one. Could it be that I'm using the TRX bands instead of rings? Would that make a difference? I tried following the video, sitting up beforehand, but when I tried it, it was like doing "incline pullups" (I think that's what they're called). It felt as if I was relying way too much on arm strength. Not sure what I should do.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Hinge Row
Started by Alan Jones 207072, July 20, 2016 · 9 Replies · 335 Views
I don't think it should be too much of a problem using TRX. Can you post a video? From what it sounds like, you probably weren't hinting at the hips properly. Make sure you're not allowing your hips to change in height.
So here are two clips of my attempts. The 2nd was better than the 1st but still seemed very difficult and using my arms more than I should. Should I use one of those step platforms under my butt?
1st attempt
2nd attempt
We can't see the videos.... Think you need to change the settings - The videos are set to being private, you should change them to being hidden instead.
I don't see a setting for "hidden" on YouTube. Anyway, I've made them public. Thank you.
Please change these from public to unlisted. We don't want course material to be public.
To get a better feel for the movement, try working on just the hinge with your butt on the ground. Really think about moving your chest forward and pulling your elbows behind your body.
A smaller detail that should help with the pulling motion is reversing your hand positions; at the bottom, you want palms facing towards your feet and at the top, you want palms facing your sides.
On July 20, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Alan Jones 207072 said:I'm having lots of difficulty with this. I couldn't do one. Could it be that I'm using the TRX bands instead of rings? Would that make a difference? I tried following the video, sitting up beforehand, but when I tried it, it was like doing "incline pullups" (I think that's what they're called). It felt as if I was relying way too much on arm strength. Not sure what I should do.
Alan:
I can see your videos now. I'm currently on hinge rows, too (Step 6). A few comments:
1. This movement caught many of us by surprise when we started Foundation. There is a rich collection of topics here on the forum that you can see by using the search function for RC/PE1 or Hinge Rows.
2. I, too, tried starting with a TRX. While the movement is possible with a TRX, I think it makes the movement quite a bit harder than it needs to be due to the single connection point and the need to work to hold the handles apart. I quickly invested in a set of rings that makes this issue moot.
3. If you are anything like me and are coming from a background where physical coordination and timing are secondary requirements, some of the elements in Foundation are initially more challenging than they seem at first glance. The Hinge Row is such an animal, as are MN/PE1, SLS/PE1, etc. It is a true face palm moment when you first grok how they should be done. And, you will get there.
4. Since I am still working toward mastery myself, you should take the following comments in that context. First, even though these are labeled "rows," the movement is more of a saloon door motion using the scapular and shoulder retractors. That motion is accompanied by a distinct hinge at the waist. I found concentrating on that hinge and the saloon door analogy finally got me moving in the right direction.
5. You appear to be almost locking your torso to your legs, as I did when I first tried these. Some folks suggest pressing your heels into the floor to initiate the hinge at the hips. That didn't work for me. It just made me tighten the torso-leg connection even more. Concentrating on an active hinge did the trick for me.
6. I'm sure you've already looked at the course videos. Keep going back to those. I've had a few DUH moments when I did that. One thing to note for this movement is the hand position. See if mimicking that helps. It did for me.
Hope this make sense. Welcome to the tribe.
Mark
The best advice for me on this exercise is exactly what Everett said above. Lower the rings so your butt Is on the ground and just get a feel for the motion of this. That's what I have been doing for the past week and it feels a lot better now.
Hi Alan,
I think we all struggle, more or less, with this element at the beginning.
Check also this thread, I think it will help you. For me it's the go-to thread for hinge rows.
Alan,
You might also need to work on some hamstring flexibility, which does make a difference in how well you are able to hinge in the finished position of the movement.
** Hamstring flexibility develops at a very slow process, as I'm sure you're aware.