This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Something easier than hinge rows?

Started by Erin Roepke, April 26, 2016 · 16 Replies · 808 Views

Erin Roepke

So I attempted hinge rows today at step 1 and could not do a single correct rep. I don't know if it's just that I'm just not strong enough or what, as I can easily do incline rows. I think it could possibly be that I'm also just too heavy right now, but I am working on losing weight. I was wondering if I could attempt them with my glutes resting on the ground until I am strong enough to do them correctly. I understand this would not count as advancing forward on hinge row steps. Would this help me build up strength, or would it just be a waste of time?

Alessandro Mainente

increase the rings height or simply hold the top position of the hinge rows, then negative with hold at the bottom.

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Erin, don't worry. You will get them. It's sorta an acquired taste. :D

Also, check out this thread where Jon Douglas and Coach Sommer share some thoughts of how to scale down this element.

Erin Roepke

Oh, great idea! Thanks!

Randeep Walia

I feel like if you are not able to do a single rep it might be because there is something really wrong with your form. Can you post a form check video?

Nick Ebner
On 4/26/2016 at 5:11 PM, Erin Roepke said:

So I attempted hinge rows today at step 1 and could not do a single correct rep. I don't know if it's just that I'm just not strong enough or what, as I can easily do incline rows. I think it could possibly be that I'm also just too heavy right now, but I am working on losing weight. I was wondering if I could attempt them with my glutes resting on the ground until I am strong enough to do them correctly. I understand this would not count as advancing forward on hinge row steps. Would this help me build up strength, or would it just be a waste of time?

I run into this with my clients all the time.

- Start by setting up the rings so that the bottom of the rings are at the level of the bottom of your shoulder. Next, set up at the top range of the hinge row, but with knees bent at 90 degrees. Use a 30 second progression bracket. Once this is achieved/if this is too easy, change the knee angle from a 90 degrees to 135. Same progression and lower the rings btwn bottom of shoulder and top of hip. Once that is achieved/if too easy, the next progression is the same, but with legs straight and rings at normal hinge row height. Once you are at the straight leg version it should be same position as the top of the hinge row. Complete 30 sec rep bracket and then try for your 3x3 hinge rows. If this doesn't work, I suggest performing 10 second negative hinge rows with a 5 rep bracket. Reply back to this if anything needs to be better clarified. 

~enjoy 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 26/04/2016 at 4:25 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

Hi Erin, don't worry. You will get them. It's sorta an acquired taste. :D

Also, check out this thread where Jon Douglas and Coach Sommer share some thoughts of how to scale down this element.

 

As Eva was alluding to with another quote:

Coach Sommer's recommendations: Hinge Row regressions

Erin Roepke
On 5/30/2016 at 9:41 PM, Nick Ebner said:

I run into this with my clients all the time.

- Start by setting up the rings so that the bottom of the rings are at the level of the bottom of your shoulder. Next, set up at the top range of the hinge row, but with knees bent at 90 degrees. Use a 30 second progression bracket. Once this is achieved/if this is too easy, change the knee angle from a 90 degrees to 135. Same progression and lower the rings btwn bottom of shoulder and top of hip. Once that is achieved/if too easy, the next progression is the same, but with legs straight and rings at normal hinge row height. Once you are at the straight leg version it should be same position as the top of the hinge row. Complete 30 sec rep bracket and then try for your 3x3 hinge rows. If this doesn't work, I suggest performing 10 second negative hinge rows with a 5 rep bracket. Reply back to this if anything needs to be better clarified. 

~enjoy 

Hey Nick,

just tried your first progression today. I think this will be just the thing I need! Thanks!

Nick Ebner
On 6/7/2016 at 8:41 PM, Erin Roepke said:

Hey Nick,

just tried your first progression today. I think this will be just the thing I need! Thanks!

Very happy to hear this. I'll be posting the video of this progression on my youtube soon and will link it just in case there are still any questions. 

Mike Kelly

Last time I gave the hinge rows a try it was a pretty hard effort to do 5x5 so I know this challenging PE is waiting for me.  I have been doing ring rows while my shoulder heals up(BJJ injury).  So looking over this and linked thread got me wondering - 

People are saying RC PE 2 and PE 3 are easier than RC/PE 1.  Is this true for most people?  If so what is the reason coach put RC/PE1 first?

Nick Ebner
On 7/1/2016 at 0:49 AM, Mike Kelly said:

Last time I gave the hinge rows a try it was a pretty hard effort to do 5x5 so I know this challenging PE is waiting for me.  I have been doing ring rows while my shoulder heals up(BJJ injury).  So looking over this and linked thread got me wondering - 

People are saying RC PE 2 and PE 3 are easier than RC/PE 1.  Is this true for most people?  If so what is the reason coach put RC/PE1 first?

I see it as hinge rows build proper support strength around the shoulder girdle so when we start pulling, the smaller less utilized muscles are conditioned for when modalities get harder.  I'm not sure if Coach has a different answer. 

Fabio Genesoni

Thank you Nick. This should become sticky. :)

Benjamin Tsoi
On 5/30/2016 at 9:41 PM, Nick Ebner said:

I run into this with my clients all the time.

- Start by setting up the rings so that the bottom of the rings are at the level of the bottom of your shoulder. Next, set up at the top range of the hinge row, but with knees bent at 90 degrees. Use a 30 second progression bracket. Once this is achieved/if this is too easy, change the knee angle from a 90 degrees to 135. Same progression and lower the rings btwn bottom of shoulder and top of hip. Once that is achieved/if too easy, the next progression is the same, but with legs straight and rings at normal hinge row height. Once you are at the straight leg version it should be same position as the top of the hinge row. Complete 30 sec rep bracket and then try for your 3x3 hinge rows. If this doesn't work, I suggest performing 10 second negative hinge rows with a 5 rep bracket. Reply back to this if anything needs to be better clarified. 

~enjoy 

Nick, thanks for the suggestion and for posting the video. It's very helpful. When you mentioned, 30 second progression bracket, what you mean by that?

Everett Carroll

Benjamin is referring to the 30 second mastery template. These templates are found in the GST Introduction section of the courses.

On April 26, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

increase the rings height or simply hold the top position of the hinge rows, then negative with hold at the bottom.

I recommend the advice Alex gave above as your primary focus, if you are having trouble with hinge row form.

Helen O'Sullivan
On 7/1/2016 at 1:20 PM, Nick Ebner said:

Very happy to hear this. I'll be posting the video of this progression on my youtube soon and will link it just in case there are still any questions. 

Hi Nick, has a video been posted of the progression you outlined?

Sarah Dahlinger

I'm also struggling with hinge rows, but I've only tried 2x so I'm not really concerned. 

Quote

increase the rings height or simply hold the top position of the hinge rows, then negative with hold at the bottom.

^^ Yesterday, I did this and I think it went well enough for my 2nd attempt. 

The weird thing for me is that I can pull myself up, as if I was preforming, for a lack of the real term, a "laying on my back pullup or row".

it's the "hingeing" part that's tricky for me. It's like my torso is too dumb to bend. So I'm up there, with my torso still straight as a board. 

My question is, will the above quoted regression help with that issue too? 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Sarah , can you post a couple of reps so that I can see your limitation?