This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My training log

Started by Emil Brannmark, December 2, 2009 · 68 Replies · 3,801 Views

Emil Brannmark

Ya, I think you're right. I've been taking things real slow from the start because I am bigger than most guys on this forum, and I have a fair bit of muscular strength but my joints aren't prepared yet. Same thing with back lever progression where I could probably move to advanced tuck. I think it's time now to try it tho. After hearing slizzardmans story you get kind of careful.

Razz

Ah yes ofcourse you may need to prepare your joints more.. But with 50s frogstand it shouldn't suddenly kill you to move to straight arm frog stand :)

Emil Brannmark

Yes, I will try and learn the advanced frogstand in the next week.

Joshua Naterman

You'll be fine! Just don't try to jump into straddle until you've done advanced flat tuck for a good long while with locked arms. That was a BAD idea :P

Richard Duelley

)

slizzardman said:
You'll be fine! Just don't try to jump into straddle until you've done advanced flat tuck for a good long while with locked arms. That was a BAD idea :P

LOL I did that today but I jumped a little too hard and pressed as hard as I could and I went all the way to a handstand (I have been working my press handstands a lot as well), promptly panicked and rolled on to the million shoes (I live with 3 other people and one of them is a girl :D) next to our door. I think I got it on video. If I did it will definitely make it onto my handstand/training montage. :mrgreen:

I got a few good reps of quickly opening into a straddle planche and trying to hold it with all my might. 8) Then I did my sets of adv tuck. . .its getting closer and closer!

Slow and steady is best when it comes to the planche.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OUTSTANDING!

Oh, I made this. It will help you begin your journey towards the planche, Emil!

IJK_wU4UVw4

Emil Brannmark

Hey man thanks a ton. Will probably be combining planche leans, straight arm frog, and pseudo planche pushups. Need both stronger shoulders and better hand balancing.

Emil Brannmark

16/12

Full cleans 1 rep every minute for 15 minutes; 92.5kg.

Tuck back lever 60 sec hold in one set (yay moving to flat tuck next workout)

Tuck front lever 4 sets of 3 negatives with 2-3 second hold in front lever position (getting stronger =)

assisted muscle up transition + deep dips 4 sets of 3-5 reps

Body levers piking up, slow negative 2 sets of 4 reps (these are killer when you're 6'2")

Making progress pretty quickly, pretty happy about that. Probably moving to 95kg cleans next wrkout.

Also I have lost 1.5kg of weight, from 89.4 to 87.7kg. Not really happy about that but I think it was mostly fat. Still I'd like to be a bit bigger, feel like I could stand to gain a fair bit of muscle mass on the upper body. Will eat more.

Emil Brannmark

18/12

Handstand and jump rope warmup

Flat tuck back lever: holds of 5, 10, 10, 8,8, 8, 10 sec.

Tuck front lever: Negatives, 4 sets.

Deadlift: 160x3, 165x3, 165x3

HeSPU + curls on rings

Flat tuck back lever pretty much owned me, so rest of the workout was affected.

Joshua Naterman

Great work on the flat tuck back levers!

Emil Brannmark

20/12

Cleans 1rep/minute 15 minutes at 95kg (missed last one stupidly enough. Racked it but couldn't stand up.)

Showed some core stuff to wife.

L-Sit + 2 dips + L-sit+2 dips+ L-sit + 2 dips x3 on rings.

Emil Brannmark

22/12

Tweaked left knee slightly last workout. Annoying not quite pain like feeling in the MCL.

Flat tuck back lever 6 sets of 10 sec (felt much more solid today, but boy it's easy to miss out on quality of these things, not extending fully etc)

Tried some front lever negatives and holds but shoulders were too fried, specifically what felt like the caput longum of the triceps.

3 sets of 25 KB swings with 2 16kg KBs + 5 bulgarian pushups + 3 yewkis

Umm, feeling very disorganized in my training atm since switching to flat tuck back lever. Need better structure.

Emil Brannmark

25/12

Handstand + jumprope warmup

Back squat using high bar placement for the first time. Switching from low bar because of forearm pain. 110kgx5, 115x5x2. Easy sets, will probably be able to do at least 130 soon, done 140kg for 5 reps 3 sets using low bar.

Tuck front lever 5 sets of ~6 sec holds.

Flat tuck back lever 6 sets of 10 seconds

Was gonna deadlift but somehow shoulders were too fried, tried one rep at 165 but felt like my right shoulder was gonna rip out of its socket. Never experienced that before but I guess ring work is hard on the stabilizers. I assume they will adapt.

Emil Brannmark

27/12

Cleans @ 95kg, 15 singles

L-chins 5 sets of 5

HeSPU 3,3,2,1

Flat tuck back lever 6 sets of 10 sec

29/12

Climbing

31/12

Shoulder press 60kg 1, 3, 3, 2

Big PR here, last time I pressed I got 56kg for three reps. Clearly gymnastics is not hurting overhead pressing strength.

Deadlift 150kg two sets of ten reps

Emil Brannmark

4/12 Squat 120kgx5x3 easy sets.

Flat tuck back lever 10sec 6 sets.

L-chins 5 sets of 5 reps

Tried to do some dips but sucked pretty bad

Emil Brannmark

6/12

Cleans 90kg, 95, 100, 102.5, 105, 107.5, 110, 112.5 (F, racked it in an ugly fashion but couldn't stand up) 100, 100

Pretty solid 7.5kg PR. When the weight gets heavy I 1) Lose the back angle pulling the bar off the floor 2) don't finish the pull which leads to getting the bar to much in front, which means the front squat is way harder. I think I should be able to do at least 115 if I fix these things. Was pretty fatigued on 112.5 tho, so maybe will do better when fresher.

Tuck front lever: 4 sets of near max holds. Managed about a 6 second hold at best.

PPP 3 sets of 5 reps

Tuck yewkis 3 sets of 3-4 reps.

Hamstring and hip flexor stretching

Emil Brannmark

7/12 Climbing

10/12

Deadlift singles 175kg, 180, 185, 190 (PR by 20kg)

Had to catch up with a buddy who I used to whip on the deadlift, but whose now got ahead. Matched his PR, but I am heavier.

Flat tuck back lever 10 sec x 6

Body levers piking up with slow negative, straight body. 5x3

Dips 10x2

Wrist pushups 10x2

Hip stretching

Emil Brannmark

13/1 Climbing + shoulder prehab ala Ido + 10x2 scap pushups + 10x2 wrist pushups

Extra rest day due to slight knee annoyance and probably overworked left sternoclavicular joint (flat tuck back lever is hard! bicep tendon strength has improved significantly, however)

Emil Brannmark

14/1 Squat 125kgx5x3

weighted pullup 12,5kgx3x4

pseudoplanche pushup 5x5

L-sit 15secx4

16/1 Climbing

17/1 Hungover.

Clean and push press up to 80kg

Back squat 127,5kgx5x3

Tuck front lever negative + 2-3 sec hold x4x4

Handstand wall runs 3 sets to near failure

Hip stretching

Emil Brannmark

19/12

Back squat 130kgx5x3

Adv tuck back lever 10secx6

(5xBulgarian ring pushups + 5xBody lever negatives)x3

Wrist pushups 10x2

Hip stretching

Jeffrey

Do you climb indoor or outdoor? Great workouts btw! Keep up the good work

Emil Brannmark
Jeffrey said:
Do you climb indoor or outdoor? Great workouts btw! Keep up the good work

For now mostly indoors. Too much snow in Sweden. We'll see if my schedule allows for some outdoor climbing come summer. Thanks for the compliments.

Jeffrey
Emil Brannmark said:
Jeffrey said:
Do you climb indoor or outdoor? Great workouts btw! Keep up the good work

For now mostly indoors. Too much snow in Sweden. We'll see if my schedule allows for some outdoor climbing come summer. Thanks for the compliments.

Great! I used to climb twice a week a few years back but stopped because I started weight lifting. For time to time I miss it the only sad part is that in Holland you cant climb outdoor much because we dont have mountains here. Really enjoyed an outdoor climb.

Emil Brannmark

I've decided to start 5/3/1 on my deadlift work. I think I am at the level where recovery is tough enough that I can't linearly progress any further. Will try to move my squat up linearly a while longer, then switch to 5/3/1 for that as well. Still trying for gymnastics work on upper body, but need a better structure. Last couple of months have been way too random.

Emil Brannmark

24/1 Deadlift day

Deadlift 110kgx5, 125x5, 145x13 (PR)

L-sit 4x near max

Kroc rows 29,7kgx20/20 24,7kgx20/20

Wrist pushups 10x2

Hip stretching

Ido shoulder routinex1