This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Topic moderations

Started by Alessandro Mainente, June 28, 2016 · 11 Replies · 63 Views

Alessandro Mainente

I would like to know if we need to moderate/hide topic like these:

- topic where other people who are not moderators or forum coaches gives personal advices with external link instead of suggesting GB courses.

Cole Dano

In matters like these I think we've been moderating here long enough to start to trust our judgment. 

If it doesn't feel right to you, moderate the post as you feel best. If in serious doubt you can always report a thread or ask here.

These two are both just past the threshold for me so, I've gone ahead an hidden them.

The first because it's not good advice for the situation to begin with, the second because of the commercial nature of the link at the bottom.

Cole Dano

BTW, since I just needed to moderate about 5 of her posts, be extra careful with Eva Pelgrino's posts, she can really be all over the place with her advice, off topic comments and the things she promotes. Feel free to have a heavy hand in her case.

Coach Sommer

Perhaps we should put Eva back on moderator approval for her posts?

Alessandro Mainente

I would...

Cory Fair

Eva is back on approval, but it is a case of overeagerness to help. She expressed the desire to learn when she says something incorrect. It may take time now to message her a brief why when a post is deleted/not approved but compared to her not learning and having to constantly moderate everything she does for the next couple years it's worth the bit of upfront investment. 

Cole Dano

What you see as overeagerness I see as a possible agenda, I'm happy to be proven wrong on that though. 

I'm good either way on the approval though. I'm sure we can manage it by just being a little more willing to moderate here posts than we normally would be.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Guys i'm asking for a greenlight to send a message to Eva only to be clear about future actions:

-i do not have nothing against her, i'm writing that because she is the actual case of "study", but it can be expanded on other future cases;

-when it is necessary to approve her message I need to consider that with the same time I spend on her moderation I can evaluate 2-3 form checks or gives other suggestions;

-I would specify the fact that for me beginner should pass more time learning and reading and after giving suggestions

-if a forum coach (no matter who) gives a suggestion there are no reason for "wikipedia past-and copy" post or other long suggestion. I think that if there are Forum Coaches they have the full knowledge to see the problems in the form checks, I accept a further suggestion only by Coach Sommer and more senior Forum Coaches . 

-all these points are made to make our activity easier on the forum. We have a lot, lot lot and again lot of students who literally DO NOT READ any topics. there was one post of "what to do after fundamentals" and 2 hours later another one. If these situations need our attention more then other, we should limit the other.

Have a nice day

Alex

 

Cole Dano

Personally I'd rather not deal with any non-moderator interjections in form checks. At least for me, it's often a process and I don't always say everything on purpose so they can focus on the most important points first. Then some yahoo comes in and disrupts the process.

Coach Sommer

I deleted the post in question and also sent Eva a note to respect the advice as provided by the forum moderators by not posting contradicting advice.  I reminded her that the forum moderators reflect official GB policy and speak for me in my stead.

Coach

Alessandro Mainente

Thanks!