Hi All,
Both of my sons, 7 years old and 4 years old, are in the gymnastics program at California Sports Center here in San Jose. Both really love the programs and both are making some reasonable progress as regards their technical skills. However my 7 year old is not progressing much at all in his strength development.
I encourage him to practice at home, which has further helped some of his skills (especially for things like the cartwheel), but he doesn't seem to have much luck in increasing his strength with his current practice routine - which is basically just a run through of what they do in class most of the time.
How and what should I do to kickstart his strength progress (if anything)? I have thought about having him spend time in things like the wall HS, but am not sure if that is the right approach. Unlike my youngest, he doesn't have the personality to do anything even remotely rote/regimented so whatever I select for him will need to have a playful element ... but how should I be approaching this attribute for a kid his age?
- Chris