Sample Strength Program - Advice please

Started by warfit, November 27, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,981 Views

warfit

Coach/Ido/BlairBob/BrainRx -

I have put together a cycle that I am using for the goal of max strength. I am starting a 5x3 for the first cycle, 5x4, then 5x5. I guess I am looking for advice to determine what level of strength is enough before I switch to a more plyometric based program. Below is the cycle I am currently using. Once I get to 5x5 I will switch the exercises around.

GOALS:

1) Max Strength in all planes of motion

2) Working on Free Standing HS

Monday:

60 sec total

Frog Stand – 12 x 5 sec holds

5x3

Knee Jumps - 15# Vest

Feet elevated Ring Push-ups (Weight Vest @ 50#)

Around the world Pull-ups

HLL – Shins to bar

Tuesday:

10 Min Conditioner

15/15 One Arm KB Snatches

Wednesday:

60 sec Ring L-Sit

8 x 8 sec

5x3

A) Pistol w/ Assist

B) HSPU Wall Negatives

C) One Arm Ring Row 90 Deg

D) 15 Yard Power Wheel Crawl with 50# Weight Vest

Thursday:

10 Min Conditioner - Repeat 5x

5 KB Swings Each Arm

5 KB Snatches Each Arm

10 Burpees

Friday:

60 Sec Handstand Hold

2 x 30sec

5x3

A) Weighted Ring Dips - 50# Vest

B) L-Pull-ups

C) 2 Leg Deck Squats with max Jump

D) Standing Power Wheel Roll-outs - 6' from wall - lightly touch

Saturday:

10 x 20yard Sprints

Monday:

60 Sec Total – Frog Stand

6x10sec

5x3

One Arm Push-ups

Tuck Rows

GHR – Partner hold feet - Can only do partial range

HLL – Shins to Bar

Tuesday:

10 Min Conditioner - Repeat 5x

1 min 16 # Sledge Hammer Swings

1 min 60# KB Swings

Wednesday:

Front Lever – Flat Tuck

6 x 10 sec

5 x 3

Single Leg Deck Squat

HSPU – Negatives

Weighted Pull-ups - 70# Kettlebell

High / Low Windmills - 36#kb

Thursday:

4 Rounds -

6' Depth Jumps

10 Yard HS Wall Walks - Facing wall

Friday:

60 Sec Cumulative Hold

Top Pull-up Position – Chest to bar – overhand grip

5 x 3

a) Weighted Ring Dips (50# vest)

b) One Arm Body Rows - 90deg

c) Pistol Assist – JJ Assist

d) Get-up Sit-up (2 x 24k kbs)

Blairbob

Sure, how long do you plan on your cycle and what are knee jumps?

warfit

The routine repeats every 2 weeks. I plan on following it for 3 cycles before I re-evaluate. Every 2 weeks I will add an extra rep to the sequence. For example first 2 week will be 5x3, second 2 weeks will be 5x4, and finally 5x5 for a total of 6 weeks of training.

Knee jumps = Starting on the floor with your butt sitting on your heels. Explosively burst up onto your feet.

My biggest question is what is considered a solid strength base for pushing, pulling, legs, core. At what point should plyometrics become the primary focus?

Thanks for your help BlairBob

JR

Blairbob

that's a good question about strength, i honestly don't know.

ahh, knee jumps are kinda fun. I've seen a BB squat from ankles to sitting up on the knees.

as for the cycling, interesting. i have no response for it though, i dunno

Coach Sommer
warfit said:
At what point should (dynamic strength) become the primary focus?

When of course varies somewhat from person to person, however generally the emphasis will shift once a reasonable proficiency with FSP, L-sit press handstands, rope climbs (no legs), chest rolls to handstand and mastery of the basic ring strength series is achieved. It should also be noted that dynamic strength should be included from day one, but at a greatly reduced intensity and volume until a solid foundation of basic strength has been developed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

warfit

Coach -

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. This clears up my confusion.

JR