This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS1/PE5 + PE5>iM

Started by Cliff Tang, June 15, 2016 · 8 Replies · 149 Views

Cliff Tang

Dear fellow GB-practitioners,

Is it possible to take some time checking my front body line drill and my weighted dislocate?

https://youtu.be/COQG2-FNDmU

Specific Questions:

- I'm making improvements in the weighted dislocate, but stucking here for already 3 months training it 3/week. At the moment I can narrow the grip to shoulder width + 1 fist width as prescribed with a 2,5Kg plate at the middle. I feel the strength and mobility exercise enforcing each other finally :)!!!! But one remark I'm only capable to go this narrow after the 3th set. I'm doing the endurace cycle now for a few weeks, but I don't think I will be able to get this narrow from the first set. Mastery says 5 sets PE5 with the coupled element, but should this be able to go immediately after the wrist prep. so question 1: should I stick with the endurance cycle untill I can go 5 sets mastery immediately after wrist prep. Should I continue like I did but start counting my working sets when I reach my most narrowing without dyscomfort?

- How should the scapula be turned after it goes behind the vertical plane? Some post tell it goes from retracted and elevated to retracted and depressed. But after seeing the tutorial of one of the affiliates they say the scapula should be anterior tilted. Is it possible to clarify this? At the moment I don't think I anterior tilt my scaps, but I feel a big stretch in the pec region.

 

Greetings from Belgium,

 

 

Cliff

 

Alessandro Mainente

The ability to show cold flexibility is something that you can obtain veeeeeery slowly. I noticed something similar with the bridge . I usually practice bridge on the floor but only in the final set. before I use to do it elevated on a 24 cm step. how many weeks do I need before being able to practice it on the floor from the first set ? If I make a statistic from 2 step -> 1 steps, it took to me about 2-3 months. here there is the same situation, body refuses the new range of motion until it becomes necessary and it takes a lot of time.

Actually the grip showed by you in the 2 exercises it is not enough , you need to reduce it.

Stretch in the chest is fine and normal, if you feel asymmetrical stretch then it is because there are some imbalances. as the bar moves overhead the scapula are elevated approximately at 45° behind the head they begin to depress. focus on holding your ribs in, scapula will retract partially but not completely.

Cliff Tang

Thanks Alessandro,

So you would recommend to stay in the endurance cycle (w9-12). Something recommended after wrist prep before commencing the working sets? I heard in the podcast, coach saying to do approximately 20 reps, narrowing it down every rep so that the tissue is warm enough to commence.

One more question on the PE5 front body line drill: When you lift the bar with a good body line (PPT and ribcage down) can you dislocate a little bit when possible? I feel it eases the coming dislocates after that. Or should it only be elevation and retraction of the shoulders?

 

 

grz,

Cliff

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, i applied the same protocol that Coach suggested.

For your question you should try to flex and nothing more while trying to push the armpit to the floor, you will find so much harder with this tip. Retraction ideally has little to do with pure flexion.

Cliff Tang

Alright Alessandro,

I'll repost after a few endurance cycles :)

 

grz

 

 

Cliff

Cliff Tang

Dear @Alessandro Mainente 

repost after 2 months. 

I definitely feel the difference between the PE now and then. protraction and elevation really helps understanding my question from earlier what to do during the dislocate. The only thing that's bugging me are 2 thing:

1. the closer I get the more imbalanced I feel, it looks much worse when I watch the vid actually :(. Something to do as an accessory exercise to balance them? I already tried balancing them out by going slower....but watching the video haha *wishful thinking*. This imbalance is really bugging me should I progress in width reduction or should I go wider again in front of a mirror maybe? really sucks that I have to regress back again maybe :(. Some experience with this matter Alessandro?

2. when passing the 45° behind the head, anterior tilting of the scaps is adviced in the bodytree GST video, but has this have to be combined with pushing the stick away from the body? Because this pull/push really feels awkard at that point. Is there some kind of glenohumeral active traction that should be remained during the whole range of motion?

 

 

Thank you for all the advice

One day I will achieve this iM!!!! :D

Alessandro Mainente

As you more to the vertical position on the dislocate one shoulder (your left one) tends to elevate, this is pretty common when the subscapularis it is a bit tight. I suggest the exercise below. basically you need a loopband to hold your elbow inside the hips so that they cannot pass behind. from this position choose an angle between to wall , put hands on wall and move a bit forward. this will stretch the sub scap.

sub sca.png

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Cliff, good to see you’re here! You may remember, we met in Copenhagen last summer. I would definitely try the sub scap stretch that Alessandro mentioned. 

1. I’m also working on my width reduction. Like you said, any discrepancies between R/L become more obvious as we narrow our grip. My grip is much closer than yours, yet I still have 2 cm in both ends to reach mastery so hang in there! Patience is our best ally. I agree that it feels more difficult and “awkward” the closer I get to my current personal threshold. So moving slowly is key. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/25549-hs-pe5-form-check/?do=findComment&comment=220979

2.. Yes, I find that pushing the dowel away from my body and visualizing to pull & lengthen the tissues helps (while firmly keeping ribs down). Greetings!

Cliff Tang

thank you @Mainente Alessandro for the advice! I'll give it a try and keep working on this deficit

Hi @Eva Pelegrin :)!! so happy you still recognize me. It's very hard getting stuck at a iM element, but like coach said. It's all about building the fundaments and requirements to reach higher levels. Back to basics